The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] No Boudreau? Potential Head Coaches 2022/2023

Rate this topic

Warhippy

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But what has Maurice done?  Look at the talent he had.  He was given every possible tool to succeed and managed a 3rd round exit.  A SCF berth with the Canes in the early 2000s.

He is as good as anyone else on that list.  I don't get the appeal myself

There is some history between him and Jim Rutherford.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

This is simple.  Like super simple 

There's no guarantee Boudreau comes back.  I and many feel he's more than earned the right.  With his winning percentage to start the season we're in the playoffs.

So let's just throw this out there.  Who do you feel is available and why do you feel they'd be the best fit for the Canucks?

I have a small list of potentials that I feel might work that I'll leave here.  But let's start thinking of who is running this young team if Boudreau doesn't renew just in case.

Rikard Gronberg, ZSC Lions.

Lane Lambert, NYI assistant coach.

Spencer Carberry, Hershey Bears.

Mike Yeo, Philadelphia Flyers Interim.

Jim Montgomery, available, former Stars coach.

Dan Bylsma, available former Penguins coach.

Mike Babcock, University of Saskatchewan.

DJ Smith, Ottawa Senators.

Joel Quenneville, available but.....

There's genuine options out there and I don't think hiring the same coaches that haven't gotten it done in the league so far is the answer, I do feel that a few established vets would fit well and a few newer coaches also might fit in the long run.

What are your thoughts???

1. Bruce Boudreau

2. Paul Maurice

3. Rick Tocchet

50 minutes ago, AlphaNuck said:

Bruce ain’t going no where 

Wish I had your optimism. I believe the option for next year is a mutual one, meaning IF Vancouver wants him back, and IF Boudreau wants to come back. I heard somewhere that if Toronto flames out in the first round again, they'll be looking for a new coach. Boudreau has always wanted to coach the Leafs so maybe he waits until Toronto is done in the playoffs. If he drags his feet and keeps the Canucks hanging, them I think they'd go out and hire someone else. Nobody wants to be somebody's second choice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

But what has Maurice done?  Look at the talent he had.  He was given every possible tool to succeed and managed a 3rd round exit.  A SCF berth with the Canes in the early 2000s.

He is as good as anyone else on that list.  I don't get the appeal myself

I mean, the same can be said of Boudreau himself. He had Washington, Anaheim, a decent Minnesota team. It's not like he's won anything either. And I like Boudreau.

Winnipeg hasn't win anything either, but I like how they've played for the most part since returning to Winnipeg. I like how they're built, though that's Chevy not Maurice.

At going on 68 I just don't view Bruce ad a long term option.

Edited by Coconuts

boudreau earned the rights to coach beyond this year unless he doesn't want to.. if the management let him go it's a bad look on the management team.. he literally have the highest win % in the last 10 canucks season and we just going to let him walk? The only way Boudreau should go is if he decides to retire.. if they don't exercise his option year or retain him.. then wonder what the management or JR is thinking when he was consulted before BB was even hired.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Yah I think we’re all done with rookie coaches especially after Boudreau and there are almost no rookie coaches who are successful.  I’d say Maurice, Montgomery, Bylsma, or Quennville but I think Boudreau would want to return so probably moot point 

Absolutely not.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boudreau has been a breath of fresh air, got the team believing in themselves, but management might want them to take another step next season under a coach with higher expectations for them.  Boudreau just wants them to be loose and have fun and enjoy themselves. Maybe Maurice gets them serious next season. 

I would love to see the stats on the stanley cup winning teams comparing those who have a team that enjoys hockey and those who have a team that makes players play a specific system. When you enjoy your work you do a better job, this is unarguable imo. Once you start being too serious you get Green hockey. I want a hockey is fun coach regardless of who it is, that’s the kind that wins championships.

And I am 1000% behind bringing Bruce back.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Absolutely not.

He was involved in a shady matter 12 years ago.  I don't think it is fair to hold anything over anyone's head forever.  There have been way worse things done by NHL players and coaches throughout this league's history than what Quennville did.  He's still one of, if not the best coach in the game.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

He was involved in a shady matter 12 years ago.  I don't think it is fair to hold anything over anyone's head forever.  There have been way worse things done by NHL players and coaches throughout this league's history than what Quennville did.  He's still one of, if not the best coach in the game.

“Shady matter”, that’s absolute bull$&!#. It was a sexual assault, it was a crime. It ruined a players entire life.

The only shady matter here is someone defending a coach who knew about a sexual assault and did nothing about it.

I have a major newsflash for you: Just because something happened before doesn’t mean it’s acceptable, then or now. Or do you believe someone knowing about a murder of an employee is ok to say nothing because people have been murdered before? With logic like that let’s let everyone be criminals! It’s all happened before right so it’s ok!

I wonder how you’d feel if it was your daughter or son instead of Beach who was sexually assaulted.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's who I'd be looking at. 

I see Boudreau as a short term option they might go with if they believe we can contend sooner than later, which I don't see happening. I think they should go with a guy who's more likely to be a long term option, Bruce won't be coaching forever. 

At 55 Maurice is a coach who I view as a guy who could be around longer. 

I like how Winnipeg's played for the most part under his guidance, I like how they were built.

I like Paul Maurice as well. I think he would be a good fit here. He's not "old", but he isn't young either. 

Decent amount of experience. Only concern would be that Winnipeg never really got far in the postseason under his guidance.

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I like Paul Maurice as well. I think he would be a good fit here. He's not "old", but he isn't young either. 

Decent amount of experience. Only concern would be that Winnipeg never really got far in the postseason under his guidance.

He's not, but I dunno if we need a young coach, 55 gives him plenty of years to do his thing if he were to be a long term fit 

And it's true, but people said the same of Trotz til he won in Washington, there are plenty of talented coaches who've never won a cup, AV is our winningnest coach for example 

I'm not worried about contending, I see us as a ways off, but maybe bringing in a guy who could be around for a while might get us closer to becoming a contender, sometimes you need the guy before the guy

I like Bruce, I advocated for hiring him before Green was fired, but he'll retire eventually at his age, he's not a longer term fit and maybe we should be looking for one

Edited by Coconuts