The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] No Boudreau? Potential Head Coaches 2022/2023

Rate this topic

Warhippy

On 4/23/2022 at 1:54 PM, Phat Fingers said:

I liked that JB always made corrections, but he did have to make mistakes to correct. 

bringing in a fresh coach, when the first ten games went so badly, well that’s what was needed.  2-3 more wins. That was obtainable.  

it was time.  And yes, the players and fans and organization needed a fresh perspective and the team had very little player personnel moves at all.  

that’s a decent endorsement for the work JB did put into the club as a whole.  

he gets way too much slack for the work he did,  it will take time, but I think he will be thought of differently in a year or two.  

so close, this season.  12 more games with Bruce vs Green.  That’s all it would have taken.   

Always interesting to read how much JB meant to some but for most "normal" Canucks fans it was more than clear 2-3 years ago that Uncle Jim & TG should have been purged and under NO circumstance - should have ever been resigned - after last year!   WTF was Aqua-Lini thinking ???????????????

This is all on Aqua-lini who has mis-managed this franchise for years from his meddling & interference to poor decision making and lets not ever forget about that.    The fact this franchise missed the playoffs again this year is a direct result of F. Aqua-lIni's decisions!   END OF STORY!

With all due respect - Aqua-lini should stick to building leaky condo's and sell this team to more responsible people..

On 4/15/2022 at 7:01 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Boudreau has been a breath of fresh air, got the team believing in themselves, but management might want them to take another step next season under a coach with higher expectations for them.  Boudreau just wants them to be loose and have fun and enjoy themselves. Maybe Maurice gets them serious next season. 

I don't think that's the case at all.

I think he understood that to be step one - with a team so down and out, to get them to have fun and enjoy the game again. Build some confidence and, through that, momentum. But I wouldn't underestimate his ability to coach beyond that. It just shows how tuned in and progressive he is that he realized the first thing that needed to happen was the guys to loosen up and enjoy coming to the rink.

He understood that if you just step in and start barking orders with a group that's totally tuned out, it may not be the most effective way to get things started. Deaf ears.

All good leaders/coaches/teachers/bosses could take that lesson away....that the first thing you do is get your "employees" to trust and respect you. 

Bruce listened and approached this in exactly the way it needed to be. But that doesn't mean it's the status quo....I feel that was his "starting point". Then, once the trust and respect are established, you can then move beyond that.

Brilliant.

But his serious side is the one that doesn't buy into the Bruce, there it is stuff. If he was all about fun and enjoyment, he'd be embracing that instead of thinking it's silly.

He looked for ways to build bridges..to find an "in" with the team. To reach them and unite them at a time when they were likely feeling pretty isolated and lost.

Funny, it's the same approach when you're trying to rescue an injured animal...takes patience and, initially, kindness and a period of familiarization. Baby steps, but you do progress beyond the initial introduction after the trust is established. Won't happen in reverse.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So uh, for those wondering *sniff* Mark recchi was let go of the Devils org yesterday.

JR and Allvin have experience with Recchi as former player dev coach and then director and then Assistant coach in Pitts under JR

Just uh, you know.

Well our medical staff has made some questionable decisions.  Even still, hard no on bringing a coach with proven character issues.

23 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Always interesting to read how much JB meant to some but for most "normal" Canucks fans it was more than clear 2-3 years ago that Uncle Jim & TG should have been purged and under NO circumstance - should have ever been resigned - after last year!   WTF was Aqua-Lini thinking ???????????????

This is all on Aqua-lini who has mis-managed this franchise for years from his meddling & interference to poor decision making and lets not ever forget about that.    The fact this franchise missed the playoffs again this year is a direct result of F. Aqua-lIni's decisions!   END OF STORY!

With all due respect - Aqua-lini should stick to building leaky condo's and sell this team to more responsible people..

If AQ is the root cause for JB's mistakes then JR maybe the right solution. JR only signed on when he was promised autonomy from AQ.  Loss of autonomy was the rumored reason he left Pens when the situation there changed more recently.  JR, unlike JB, has the record and experience that commands respect and leverage that a rookie JB didn't have.  Loss of Linden without a replacement prez spoke a lot of the problems the prior management team had.  

Let's wait and see what this new front office do. I think it will be an interesting off season.  As a big fan of Bruce, I am still in support of JR/Alvin on what they have stated so far.  They are doing what they believe is the best for the team. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

If AQ is the root cause for JB's mistakes then JR maybe the right solution. JR only signed on when he was promised autonomy from AQ.  Loss of autonomy as the rumored reason he left Pens when the situation there changed more recently.  JR, unlike JB, has the record and experience that commands respect and leverage that a rookie JB didn't have.  Loss of Linden without a replacement prez spoke a lot of the problems the prior management team had.  

Let's wait and see what this new front office do. I think it will be an interesting off season.  As a big fan of Bruce, I am still in support of JR/Alvin on what they have stated so far.  They are doing what they believe is the best for the team. 

I'll second that!

On 4/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, Warhippy said:

This is simple.  Like super simple 

There's no guarantee Boudreau comes back.  I and many feel he's more than earned the right.  With his winning percentage to start the season we're in the playoffs.

So let's just throw this out there.  Who do you feel is available and why do you feel they'd be the best fit for the Canucks?

I have a small list of potentials that I feel might work that I'll leave here.  But let's start thinking of who is running this young team if Boudreau doesn't renew just in case.

Rikard Gronberg, ZSC Lions.

Lane Lambert, NYI assistant coach.

Spencer Carberry, Hershey Bears.

Mike Yeo, Philadelphia Flyers Interim.

Jim Montgomery, available, former Stars coach.

Dan Bylsma, available former Penguins coach.

Mike Babcock, University of Saskatchewan.

DJ Smith, Ottawa Senators.

Joel Quenneville, available but.....

There's genuine options out there and I don't think hiring the same coaches that haven't gotten it done in the league so far is the answer, I do feel that a few established vets would fit well and a few newer coaches also might fit in the long run.

What are your thoughts???

Blysma, Babcock and Quenneville are Stanley Cup winning coaches, regardless of what you think of the person. This management has made it clear that there is no emotion in their decisions. 

I would rather keep BB but if it’s any of the above 3 I would take the tactician Dan Blysma.

9 hours ago, Muttley said:

I can't for the life of me see why JR wouldn't utilize his best option.  Solidifying Boudreau as head coach is the best possible scenario.  Listening to Drance again today

saying that JR really wants his own guy in there, exasperates me.  After what Bruce Boudreau proved he can do with what was virtually a hopeless situation and 

bringing the Canucks to the door of post season play was nothing short of astonishing. AND, with substantial injuries, (Horvat for the last few), Pearson Hoggy, etc.

Your right, Maurice is not a good plan, nor is a first timer. The entire team gravitated to BB. It simply doesn't get better than that.

100% this.

After all the disappointment in recent years, fans are finally feeling great about someone and actually chanting the coach's name in full support. Yet management is taunting him to leave. It's mind-boggling. 

I said this in another thread... at this moment in time, we don't need "better" ... we need Bruce. They should recognize that. 

• Vintage 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

why do you keep hyphenating aquilini? 

10 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

100% this.

After all the disappointment in recent years, fans are finally feeling great about someone and actually chanting the coach's name in full support. Yet management is taunting him to leave. It's mind-boggling. 

I said this in another thread... at this moment in time, we don't need "better" ... we need Bruce. They should recognize that. 

they recognize it but they don't care.. they wanna stroke their own ego and install their "own" guy behind the bench.. so any success can be pointed directly to them.. nothing about their interview showed any excitment nor urgency on wanting him back.. they are more indifferent either way... if he stays cool.. if he goes great i can now hire my own coach.. some ppl keep saying nothing wrong with him not offered an extension since they haven't seen what he can do yet with a training camp etc etc.. and it was only 3/4 of a season.. i dunno does it not make it more impressive he was able to turn this team around night and day the moment he stepped in and continued for long stretch of the season? i still see nothing wrong with offering him an extension for next year and the year after.. he's making what? 2-2.5mil? even if they fire him the season after.. it's not like they are paying him 5mil a season for the next 4 seasons afterward to sit at home.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

If JR wants his own guy, that ticks me off. That's an ego driven (emotional?) statement.

You have a coach who turned things around from the ugliest of uglies to a team that fought for a spot. Was it too little too late? Sure. But had Bruce come in earlier we'd likely be battling in the playoffs right now.

I get wanting to "see" if this continues and what unfolds next year....sadly though, they're putting themselves in a position where they may not get a chance to ever know. If Bruce is offered something more long term and goes, better believe the next coach stepping in will be under scrutiny and the expectation will be to get us there. Anything less will be a failure because Bruce was on that path. The rink has exploded with energy lately and that's been something special.

I don't know about JR and his sidekick yet. I don't like ol' boys clubs where they want to bring in "their" guys...this is about "our guys".  

We'll see. I have my pitchfork out though because this isn't about proving "self", this is about improving the team. Sure, they go hand in hand (to some degree), but if these guys had someone in mind and that's driving their decisions with Bruce, I'm not ok with that. Judge him on his results/merits....not on the fact that you have someone else waiting in wings.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Blysma, Babcock and Quenneville are Stanley Cup winning coaches, regardless of what you think of the person. This management has made it clear that there is no emotion in their decisions. 

I would rather keep BB but if it’s any of the above 3 I would take the tactician Dan Blysma.

Blysma won...one. 14 years ago with Pittsburgh and a roster that probably could've coached itself to a cup.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000502009.html

His playoff record, aside from that win with the Penguins, is quite similar to Bruce's.

Blysma:

image.png

Bruce:

image.png

Hard pass from me on Quenneville and Babcock.

I think Boudreau is a good coach for the younger players.  The team will be adding more young player during

the next couple of years, so the focus should still be on the transitioning a young team into a playoff team.

Sign Bruce for 2 yrs, then decide if he's the coach to take them into the contender realm and beyond. If not, then

that's the time to make a coaching change.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm more comfortable with Bruce as head coach than I've been with any Canucks coach in years. 

I really hope he stays. 

Is there another team out there that has a better roster than us, who will offer him longer term and money?  

What I do t understand is JR only willing to offer Bruce this one year contract, when it’s almost certain any new coach he hires will get at least three years.   Kind of sounds like JR wants Bruce to move on.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is there another team out there that has a better roster than us, who will offer him longer term and money?  

What I do t understand is JR only willing to offer Bruce this one year contract, when it’s almost certain any new coach he hires will get at least three years.   Kind of sounds like JR wants Bruce to move on.  

Lots of teams with better rosters, so likely a few that are looking for a coach, and fewer that will/might offer him a job.

I think Bruce has to opt out of his current deal, before anyone else can offer him a deal though.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Lots of teams with better rosters, so likely a few that are looking for a coach, and fewer that will/might offer him a job.

I think Bruce has to opt out of his current deal, before anyone else can offer him a deal though.

Seems like June 1 is the day he needs to decide by.  Or at least that’s how JR phrased it.  If Bruce hasn’t signed on for that extra year with us by then we move on.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1