The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 18, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Starting goaltender vs. Senators  

174 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yes, and let's not rip this team apart in the offseason again.  The last time this team had this kind of cohesiveness and determination, we saw Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Edler, and Co. all leave one after another.  Ripped the chemistry apart on the team.  Now we're hearing the same vibes of moving Miller, Boeser, Myers, Garland, and heck, some even talk about Bo.  How on Earth does this team gain any momentum and chemistry when they keep getting dismantled? 

^This!

I still think Stecher was something special. Tho’ smaller for a defenceman he continues to improve in this league & has bags of the intangibles to give to his teams. Just ask World Championship Team-Canada how they feel about him & his heroics when it mattered most. Team chemistry is elusive, so when it has clearly been found blowing it up - is a very sad thing. 

Benning’s hatchet job (however forced  by the pressures of operating in Canada during Covid-times) was almost like re-seeing the organization’s heartless dismantling of the Linden-era team less than 24 months after their legendary SCup run to game 7 of 1994.

Edited by viking mama

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Our brain dead media also said coaching wasn't the issue. 

This is a 110 pt team under BB. 

We were a 59 pt team with TG. 

Absolutely infuriating hearing that over and over and over. If you've ever played competitive sports, coaching is absolutely pivotal towards how a team performs and develops. I've played on good teams with good coaches and have done really well, and I've played on those same teams with bad coaches and have had the team collapse. It still really bugs me that they all continue to say Travis Green is a good coach. I was probably the earliest guy on these boards to say he's not good enough (halfway into his first season) because our team was actually very good but man were they inconsistent. When they worked, they were actually one of the best teams in the league and were dominating top teams, but when they deployed their defensive strategies and did the dump and change all game they'd get absolutely murdered. And as the season went on, you could see the team leaning into the dump and change tactic and you just slowly saw the team get hemmed in more and more and more and then you saw the full defensive collapse structure and then at that point you were watching a train wreck. 

No coach should ever be at the NHL level playing that style of a counter attack. You'll never consistently win with it, even if you have an elite goaltender. If you have an elite goaltender you should win most of your games, not ride him into the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Our brain dead media also said coaching wasn't the issue. 

This is a 110 pt team under BB. 

We were a 59 pt team with TG. 

the same media that promotes the "take a step back to get better later" theory. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Absolutely infuriating hearing that over and over and over. If you've ever played competitive sports, coaching is absolutely pivotal towards how a team performs and develops. I've played on good teams with good coaches and have done really well, and I've played on those same teams with bad coaches and have had the team collapse. It still really bugs me that they all continue to say Travis Green is a good coach. I was probably the earliest guy on these boards to say he's not good enough (halfway into his first season) because our team was actually very good but man were they inconsistent. When they worked, they were actually one of the best teams in the league and were dominating top teams, but when they deployed their defensive strategies and did the dump and change all game they'd get absolutely murdered. And as the season went on, you could see the team leaning into the dump and change tactic and you just slowly saw the team get hemmed in more and more and more and then you saw the full defensive collapse structure and then at that point you were watching a train wreck. 

No coach should ever be at the NHL level playing that style of a counter attack. You'll never consistently win with it, even if you have an elite goaltender. If you have an elite goaltender you should win most of your games, not ride him into the ground. 

Yup. 

You were correct. 

I was blinded by the bubble playoffs and making it to game 7 against Vegas. 

Forgot to think, could we have done better... 

Well thankfully we are finally on the right track. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I would love to get some of the media pundits that criticized the firing saying TG wasn't the problem and see what they say now. They blamed the blue line and suggested dismantling this team... Shows what they know... 

Green seems to had been more focus on being friendly with the media - to perhaps, cover up his flaws/failures vs the masterful way Boudreau, is playing the media to praise or encourage a player: to benefit the team.   Boudreau, is currently the right coach for this roster and it is showing on the on ice product but even, he realize that his time will come.  The players & coaches wants the playoff berth, more so than the fans; great time to be a fan...

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the same media that promotes the "take a step back to get better later" theory. 

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup. 

You were correct. 

I was blinded by the bubble playoffs and making it to game 7 against Vegas. 

Forgot to think, could we have done better... 

Well thankfully we are finally on the right track. 

Yup, keep pushing forward.  The last thing this team needs is to gut it by taking a guy like Miller out of the lineup and dressing room.  It would piss off the guys on the roster to no end.  Imagine how Petey, Bo, Demko, and others would feel if Miller was traded now after they've been playing .600+ hockey for months with the new coach. 

I really hope Dickinson keeps improving, not so that we keep him, but rather so we can trade him for something.  Then move Poolman, and we can add a Top 4 quality RHD through UFA.  The forward group does NOT need work.  When healthy, the forwards are:

Garland-Miller-Podkolzin

Hoglander-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Chiasson

Highmore-Lamikko-Lockwood

That is very solid depth. 

Three 30 goal scoring centres... how much more depth do you need?

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Green only played the role of an NHL coach well for the cameras but had no idea, what it means to be one.  He sucked up to the media, to perhaps cover up his failures (?). 

54 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's pretty crazy to think that this current team is the 1st since 1996 to have three 30 goal scorers.  I looked at the 1994 team and they only had 2. 

I firmly believe there's something special about this current team.  I just really hope it doesn't get dismantled. 

Hopefully they find a way to make the playoffs, it'll be great for 2 reasons:

1. JT Miller will likely stay at a discount

2. Vintage Canuck will reveal his identity

Both are key factors here.

93/94 team scored 279 goals let in 276.   Enough to face a true contender in round one.   Losing Nedved wasn't easy for us.... but the return helped set us up for quite the run. 

Also Miller ... he's going to stay.   Why wouldn't he?   Does he really want to go to a different team where he's not the man?  He said no thanks to that already. In a round about way.   At least i hope that's the case.   5 years at 8.25 seems fair for both sides. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Want an even better read?  "Hope we didn't give up our 2nd round pick for JT Miller!  Benning would be an idiot if he did!"

Yeah, no kidding!

I wasn't super happy about the Gaudette trade at the time.  He was fun to watch (when he wasn't coasting).  But I'm not one to get fired up over most deals, especially now that I'm not in hockey pools any more and don't follow the rest of the league as much as I used to.  So, I can't often compare the value of other teams' players, especially bottom-6, unless they stand out in games against us.  I just try to trust management and see how it plays out.  Not like I can do anything about it :) 

10 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Green seems to had been more focus on being friendly with the media - to perhaps, cover up his flaws/failures vs the masterful way Boudreau, is playing the media to praise or encourage a player: to benefit the team.   Boudreau, is currently the right coach for this roster and it is showing on the on ice product but even, he realize that his time will come.  The players & coaches wants the playoff berth, more so than the fans; great time to be a fan...

Yup. 

I do wonder what TG had done to gain the media's favor because there was a clear bias in favor of him even when he was clearly failing at his job. 

Maybe a long NHL career buys him a longer leash... 

Safe to say that TG won't be getting hired for a head coaching job this summer after all. Ppl said he'd land on his feet pretty quickly but I doubt it. 

He'll have to go back to the AHL and work his way back up. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

93/94 team scored 279 goals let in 276.   Enough to face a true contender in round one.   Losing Nedved wasn't easy for us.... but the return helped set us up for quite the run. 

Also Miller ... he's going to stay.   Why wouldn't he?   Does he really want to go to a different team where he's not the man?  He said no thanks to that already. In a round about way.   At least i hope that's the case.   5 years at 8.25 seems fair for both sides. 

Trading Miller right now would be like trading Courtnall or Adams... 29 or 30 year old guys with a ton of heart, and skill to back it up.

• Like 1

Great win again!

Demko was solid again!

Schenn was the hero last night, come back next season.

OEL and Myers were the cores with the d-group.

Huges looks quite good.

Forwarders:

Broser and Highmore back and both looks good.

Pettersson is the star with great skill.

Podz become more and more mature.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

That's pretty crazy to think that this current team is the 1st since 1996 to have three 30 goal scorers.  I looked at the 1994 team and they only had 2. 

I firmly believe there's something special about this current team.  I just really hope it doesn't get dismantled. 

Hopefully they find a way to make the playoffs, it'll be great for 2 reasons:

1. JT Miller will likely stay at a discount

2. Vintage Canuck will reveal his identity

Both are key factors here.

Only one 30 goal scorer currently. Although I have no doubt J.T. and Petey will come through..

5 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Only one 30 goal scorer currently. Although I have no doubt J.T. and Petey will come through..

Yeah, I know... I figured Petey and JT will find 1 goal in the next 6 games... lol

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup. 

I do wonder what TG had done to gain the media's favor because there was a clear bias in favor of him even when he was clearly failing at his job. 

Maybe a long NHL career buys him a longer leash... 

Safe to say that TG won't be getting hired for a head coaching job this summer after all. Ppl said he'd land on his feet pretty quickly but I doubt it. 

He'll have to go back to the AHL and work his way back up. 

Yeah: stark contrast, as to how Boudreau is dealing with the press vs how he was trying hard to be friends with the media - I remember during his last remaining days, how he was having a seemingly casual conversation during a game day presser.  Felt like it was still the preseason vs 10+ plus games in - really weird optics...