The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Apr. 21, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Does it really? They always have a lackadaisical effort at the start of the year and then play hard. That’s signs of a flawed and bad team.

Exactly.

Nothing more disgusting than playing when it's over.

You see some stats where guys score 20 goals...all in 4-1 games.

Other guys score 20 goals in 2-2 games.

I know who I like.

• Thanks 2

Well, we were fighting uphill after Green burying us in the first 25 games so while it sucks that the playoffs are likely off the menu it was still great to see Miller step it up and Petey turn it around. Hopefully Allvin and Rutherford make the right moves in the offseason and we come back next year ready to compete.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

All the talk of being carried by goaltending & they couldn't get a save tonight.

Once Horvat went down it was over. Bitter end but a better future.

Demko became extremely average the past month and a half. He was so dialed in too. He went from being mindless to second guessing everything. Positioning went from an A+ to a B- so quickly.

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The players didn’t show up. It’s obvious they played only after all the changes were made. Same players and they all of a sudden decide to start to play after 25 games. I am tired of bad starts and that’s on leadership. We need more that won’t accept losing.

No, their systems completely changed after Bruce go in.  Their entire structure and the way they worked together changed.  They were a total clusterfk under Green, total amateur discombobulated mess. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Not for lack of effort, but here we are.  Not Demko's best game.  Still proud of this team and don't want a tear-down. 

I want a defense rebuild and don't care how we get it. Truth is I've given it no thought and don't see a way we can keep both Miller and Boeser next season and one of them could garner a top 4 dman.

1 minute ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Alviin's #1 job in the off season is to trade Myers.

I see people defending Myers, but hes a tire fire under pressure.  Bruce's system emphasizes offence and forecheck but if the other team is good and they carry the play Myers melts....i know hes a plus player but man when the other team play pressure offence hes awful.

7 minutes ago, Darius said:

thanks for giving us hope Bruce, I hope they bring you back

they need to fix the d.  all d positions need an upgrade outside of Hughes and OEL  ..

I'm still hoping this team sees some significant surgery, that defense needs a lotttt of work 

• Like 1

Tough one. A few random thoughts

- Petterson stepped up in this one. In high pressure situations I find he excels. Something I am hopeful for in the future. 

- Playing Demko after the Ottawa game was a mistake IMO. 

- No matter how you boil it down, in big game situations I find that Myers is a weak link that opposing teams have learned how to expose through game planning. 

- While the referees didn't overwhelm the game, we only had one powerplay as one of our players was practically bleeding out. Beyond that, the calls were weighted one way. IMO, the NHL needs to display more clarity and accountability for refereeing. The MLB does an excellent job of this with umpires who cannot adhere to the strike zone. 

While I am disappointed, I am still proud of the team for bouncing back to deficits in this game twice. I wanted to see what they could do in the playoffs. We have suffered too many years of not being in the mix. I hope this is the last. 

Kev 

Edited by DS-Kev
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Even though we did not make it. We did so much better than I expected. I had completely given up hope of winning hockey games in November. Although, I had high hopes last summer and thought we would be 8th-12th in the league. I just feel disappointed because I believe we are better than our record. 

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Green doesn’t play the game on the ice. It’s on the players. It was good he was let go. What does it say when players all of a sudden start to play to their potential? Tells me that the players just weren’t putting the effort in.

Green had them playing chicken $&!# perimeter hockey 100% of the time. Afraid to lose. He's a junior coach and will never be more than that.