The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Legend Lost - Lafleur Passes Away at 70

Rate this topic

HKSR

EPs rookie year the Hockey News did a cover story about him.   And compared him to Lafleur because he was self-taught,  no skill coaches, just himself and all the ice time in the world wanting to be the best he could be.    The Alien moniker would have worked for "Flower" too.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Crazy that two of the most legendary players of the 70s and early 80s are gone so close together and at too young an age too.

Two guys you'd be hard pressed to not have on an all-time team as well.    Dionne might have been better had he played for MTL instead, but those two guys...you'd be hard pressed to find a better first and second overall ever between the two.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Two guys you'd be hard pressed to not have on an all-time team as well.    Dionne might have been better had he played for MTL instead, but those two guys...you'd be hard pressed to find a better first and second overall ever between the two.   

Only argument I can think of is Ovechkin and Malkin, but they're not there yet in my opinion.

I have to admit. The reason I started loving hockey, not just watching hockey was LaFleur, Gainey, and Larry Robinson. 

Yet despite enjoying watching Montreal. I never became a fan. It was too easy to be a fan of Montreal. They were always winning, and winning cups. 

My loyalty has always been for Vancouver. Only because the team and other fans have suffered so much, we can't let go. 

But I admired him. He was Bure, before we got Bure. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Only argument I can think of is Ovechkin and Malkin, but they're not there yet in my opinion.

Yeah, that one would be contestable. I'd probably argue Ovie above Lafleur already, but I don't think Malkin is greater than Dionne yet, but if he can somehow stretch out his career for another few good years, he may yet get there.

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Up early in Japan today & just saw this news..this one hurts. Was taking a puck-site break, but had to log in to honour Guy.

As my family migrated to BC from the Maritimes(late 60's),  was raised a Habs fan from 2 generations of avid enthusiasts. In the late 70's, Dad would always take me to see them, when they visited the ol' Coloseum. Even in enemy buildings that Guyyyyyyy chant/hum would rain down, & the Habs reigned supreme. It was the perfectly built team, with an inspiring, stylish & magnetic superstar.

A decade later, about 20-ish, I'd meet Guy in an Electric Ave bar(Bandito's?..forget)in Cowtown. Guy & Nords were doing the Alberta swing, & here he was, downing Coronas between playing the(then dominant) vaunted Coilers & 'Lames! My Newfie bud points across bar, "Hey, that's Guy Lafleur!". Assuming he was joking, was rather shocked to find otherwise..okay, this Guy is just too cool, even for team curfews! He was(sitting at the bar, not in some quiet corner) surrounded by admirers, who were mostly rather attractive, blonde ladies. Random guys approaching to shake his hand. Even recall him buying a Corona for a crap-tonne of folks within range. It was simply a movie scene(escaping the usual drudgery) where a national, absolute legend, humbly sits & chats with mere mortals.

I summoned the courage to shake his hand. Wanted to ask if that big ring was from the mighty '77 squad, & he quipped, "No! It's my wedding ring!" Quickly realized being a foolish kid-fan, admiring in the stands, was prob better than later on meeting one's childhood hero! :^) The poor fellow was likely tired of the same questions from puck-obsessed, tongue-tied fans meeting their childhood legend. Folks were simply in awe around this larger-than-life figure, myself included!

RIP Mr Lafleur. Thank you for a lifetime of cherished hockey memories.

Nux, wasn't Bandito's next to Three Cheers on the North side of 11th Avenue across from the Fox and Firken?

There also was Coconut Joe's, the Manhatten Club and Stinky's that my faded memory can recall.

• Cheers 1

When I moved to Canada in the summer of 1975, all I knew of hockey was watching a few minutes of a game that Bobby Orr was in. That year, with CBC being about the only channel I could get, I watched Montreal several times. I was blown away by this player, streaking down the right wing and unleashing shots that were in the net sometimes before the goalie could react. That player was Guy Lafleur. Though I became a die hard Canucks fan, I would cheer for Lafleur in any other game than Vancouver. He was the Joe Montana before Brady, the Wilt Chamberlin before Kareem Abdul Jabbar. It took a player the caliber of Gretsky to pass him. RIP Monsieur Lafleur...RIP 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, that one would be contestable. I'd probably argue Ovie above Lafleur already, but I don't think Malkin is greater than Dionne yet, but if he can somehow stretch out his career for another few good years, he may yet get there.

Dionne "i would have scored 1000 goals if i was drafted first instead" and i wouldn't have doubted it much either.   Guy was crazy good, even after he retired, skated circles around everyone (including Guy) and built like a little tank.   Like Ronning but add 20lbs of muscles (and he was a pitbull in the corners)..   Both were dynamic players, one blessed to play on the greatest team ever, another cursed to play in LA lol.     Ovi to me is like a cross between Howe and Hull.   Very different player.   Malkin isn't in the same stratosphere. 

Edit;  In the end Dionne scored 400 more points then Lafluer.   Always the bridesmaid too.. second in Hart..got his Byngs, Pearson's and Art Ross trophies ... 3 consecutive years of 130, 135, 137 points ... get the era but even if your even out save percentages that's three over 120 today.     Finally got out of Lafleurs shadow and Gretzky shows up lol.     Dionne is probably the best player ever not to win a cup.   He retired at 37 second only to Gordie Howe.    Technically he only played one more season then Lafluer, but was much more durable...200 more games ... 400 more points.  I do believe had he played in MTL he'd have had over 2000.   I also believe if he played today, he'd simply kill it too. 

Edit:  As for Guy.   You'd be hard pressed to find a brighter star in any era as well.    Was unreal.   It's a really sad week with both him and Bossy passing away.   These guys were my early hero's with Bobby Clarke.   Only Orr outshone Guy in the 70's.   I don't know anyone who didn't like Lafluer though.   Just his manner.    Him and Gretzky are probably the best ambassadors the games had since expansion. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I was a Beliveau fan before Guy Lafleur broke in. Both very classy guys but different. Beliveau was the heir to Richard and Guy was to succeed Beliveau. The natural progression of my hockey world. Your point about Dionne is well taken. He played on some pretty brutal teams in Cali. That said he, Taylor and Simmer had all the TOI they could eat and none of the pressure that Lafleur had to deal with. I can remember when Dionne was traded from Detroit and being so happy that Montreal wouldn't have to face him even tho the Wings were doormats (which they deserved to be). 

I only got to see Guy play live once. Pacific Coliseum and he came in with the Nordiques. I only went to that game so that I could say I saw him play live! Knowing he was about to retire, again, my expectations weren't high. 90-91 season and the Canucks were building towards the '94 Cup run. It was the Guy show for me as he scored a goal with an apple as well Not the speed of younger days but did he know position. His goal was a wrist shot from high in the left circle, top right corner. I had a perfect angle. More than that he coasted up and down the wing and saluted fans between whistles. Lots of smiles between Guy and his fans. RIP 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was a Beliveau fan before Guy Lafleur broke in. Both very classy guys but different. Beliveau was the heir to Richard and Guy was to succeed Beliveau. The natural progression of my hockey world. Your point about Dionne is well taken. He played on some pretty brutal teams in Cali. That said he, Taylor and Simmer had all the TOI they could eat and none of the pressure that Lafleur had to deal with. I can remember when Dionne was traded from Detroit and being so happy that Montreal wouldn't have to face him even tho the Wings were doormats (which they deserved to be). 

I only got to see Guy play live once. Pacific Coliseum and he came in with the Nordiques. I only went to that game so that I could say I saw him play live! Knowing he was about to retire, again, my expectations weren't high. 90-91 season and the Canucks were building towards the '94 Cup run. It was the Guy show for me as he scored a goal with an apple as well Not the speed of younger days but did he know position. His goal was a wrist shot from high in the left circle, top right corner. I had a perfect angle. More than that he coasted up and down the wing and saluted fans between whistles. Lots of smiles between Guy and his fans. RIP 

Great story.    Saluting fans between whistles.   Not many players actually become legends before they retire, he was for sure one of them.    Last one to do that for the younger generation was probably Lidstrom.   For me it was Ray Borque.    Even though he wasn't in Boston anymore, his brief time in COL actually made Vancouver fans (and COL was one of our rivals back then) root for them.   At least that's how i felt.    I'm just glad i did get to meet Lafluer in person.   It was actually surreal even though he'd be fully retired for a couple of years.   

Edit: Beliveau left some huge shoes.  Lafluer actually did a great job filling them.   Not that anyone could really. 

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Great story.    Saluting fans between whistles.   Not many players actually become legends before they retire, he was for sure one of them.    Last one to do that for the younger generation was probably Lidstrom.   For me it was Ray Borque.    Even though he wasn't in Boston anymore, his brief time in COL actually made Vancouver fans (and COL was one of our rivals back then) root for them.   At least that's how i felt.    I'm just glad i did get to meet Lafluer in person.   It was actually surreal even though he'd be fully retired for a couple of years.   

Meeting Lafleur would have been an experience. The closest I came was Houle in Moscow and the Pocket Rocket at YVR. Henri was a real class act. Quiet and unassuming. My conversation with him was quick as I felt I was intruding. All the same he was gracious.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Looking back at all these NHL greats and their scoring achievements, I really feel sorry for the goalies of those eras. How many goals do Bossy, Hull, Howe, and Lafleur, et al score in todays NHL? They look like stick men in the videos.

The equipment was way different in previous eras.  Goalies had to stand up for their own survival.  The jumbo super protection goalies developed into wearing have eliminated goals from distance, unless it’s a mistake or a screen. 

The great goalscorers of the past would still score today.  They would have the benefit of modern training and equipment.  

Guy would score just like he did.  He was the best forward of his era.  

The heavy bodies of today wouldn’t survive on the old fashioned skates.  

On 4/22/2022 at 1:02 PM, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

go to Paris, France and you're breathing in more toxins than oxygen from all the second hand smoke

Actually more terrifying to visit than the favelas in Rio.  Crazy levels of crime, theft and muggings.  French special police everywhere with GIGNs…they had to build a 25ft glass wall around the Eiffel Tower to keep the crime out.  Even inside Disneyland Paris.

Edited by Nooks
Spelling