The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

Well, what is a reasonable offer for Hughes?

- 2022 7th OA?               okay

- 2023 1st rnd pick?        perhaps

- other higher lvl picks?  sure

- prospects?                   maybe....

- players?                       maybe not

The Devils do not impress me as a deep team. Would they like to add Quinn Hughes? Sure. What players on their current roster would they be willing to give up? Hischier?

Which of those guys would the Canucks want (based on age, on the skill level of the player, etc). How many of those could the Canucks afford on their cap?

Or are the potential prospects still in an early developmental stage? They may perhaps become good players, but how long will it take for them to become "good"?

I don't see Hughes being traded in this case.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

The Devils do not impress me as a deep team. Would they like to add Quinn Hughes? Sure. What players on their current roster would they be willing to give up? Hischier?

Which of those guys would the Canucks want (based on age, on the skill level of the player, etc). How many of those could the Canucks afford on their cap?

Or are the potential prospects still in an early developmental stage? They may perhaps become good players, but how long will it take for them to become "good"?

regards,  G.

Me no serious. Me joking. Me have nothing to say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Yup, I gotcha. I was just looking at it from a serious perspective.  :)

regards,  G.

Trading Hughes is not serious.

Seriously…

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Seriously…

Well................... I could see trading Hughes, for the right price, but it would be for a hefty amount.

I would want a high 1st, and a Chychrun type of d-man (size, age, skating, physical style of play, etc), a younger top-6 forward (scoring potential, skating, hockey IQ, etc), plus additional picks/prospects. Now, the Canucks wouldn't get that from just one team, so a number of teams would have to be involved, which would be far too complicated to make such a deal work.

regards,  G.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Seriously…

Fitzgerald says they have to get better down low, more physical in boxing out players. Says he likes their defence but they have to work on their physicality to be harder to play against.  He likes their D-corps and it's not like Quinn fits the profile of what he says they want on D.

We're on a Canucks board where fans discuss players, in the trades, rumours, and signing section. You don't have to like it, or even agree, but folks can discuss trading whoever they like. 

Doesn't mean it'll happen, as I see a Hughes trade being unlikely, but policing who folks can and can't propose trading is silly. I like x, stop discussing trading x, it's ridiculous. Forums are for discussion, live and let live. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

We're on a Canucks board where fans discuss players, in the trades, rumours, and signing section. You don't have to like it, or even agree, but folks can discuss trading whoever they like. 

Doesn't mean it'll happen, as I see a Hughes trade being unlikely, but policing who folks can and can't propose trading is silly. I like x, stop discussing trading x, it's ridiculous. Forums are for discussion, live and let live. 

I agree in the sense that if you're gonna disagree with the idea of trading a player. At least participate in the discussion. Coming here just to say "Not happening, don't talk about it" feels very lame. Lol. Like, I've pushed back on trading Boeser. But I at least try to discuss why it doesn't make sense in my eyes. Coming here to shut down discussion is the equivalent of going to a birthday party and just popping balloons for no reason.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

Severson - Top pairing, right handed two-way defensemen. Eats up a lot of hard minutes.

Bahl - Potential top 6 shutdown defensemen.

Sharangovich - Versatile top 6 forward, who gives you 20+ goals.

2nd overall pick (I prefer Nemec) - Potential right handed two-way franchise defensemen.

Hard to say no to this deal, when you’re essentially getting 3 (potentially 4) quality NHL players for one.

Edited by shiznak

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Well................... I could see trading Hughes, for the right price, but it would be for a hefty amount.

I would want a high 1st, and a Chychrun type of d-man (size, age, skating, physical style of play, etc), a younger top-6 forward (scoring potential, skating, hockey IQ, etc), plus additional picks/prospects. Now, the Canucks wouldn't get that from just one team, so a number of teams would have to be involved, which would be far too complicated to make such a deal work.

regards,  G.

In other words, he’s not going anywhere. 

14 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Severson - Top pairing, right handed two-way defensemen. Eats up a lot of hard minutes.

Bahl - Potential top 6 shutdown defensemen.

Sharangovich - Versatile top 6 forward, who gives you 20+ goals.

2nd overall pick (I prefer Nemec) - Potential right handed two-way franchise defensemen.

Hard to say no to this deal, when you’re essentially getting 3 (potentially 4) quality NHL players for one.

I just want to say no, so that the Devils don’t have three Hughes brothers. 

17 hours ago, Me_ said:

Can’t even believe we’re talking about trading Hughes. 

This is the "NJ 2nd OA in play" thread on a discussion board........that's what you do, you discuss the topic.  If the Canucks were interested in that pick, Hughes would be the guy they want, hence the discussion around Hughes.  No one wants to get "rid" of Hughes, but that's the discussion at hand.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

I think a reasonable offer would be the 2nd OA, Holtz, Severson and either another roster player or pick in 2023, but no team on the path to a lottery pick is giving up their first in 2023, no chance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

Then you’re not serious. 

You may not even be a Canucks fan.

8 hours ago, mll said:

Fitzgerald says they have to get better down low, more physical in boxing out players. Says he likes their defence but they have to work on their physicality to be harder to play against.  He likes their D-corps and it's not like Quinn fits the profile of what he says they want on D.

Right. So trade the best D the Canucks have ever had.

Completely logical.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

This is the "NJ 2nd OA in play" thread on a discussion board........that's what you do, you discuss the topic.  If the Canucks were interested in that pick, Hughes would be the guy they want, hence the discussion around Hughes.  No one wants to get "rid" of Hughes, but that's the discussion at hand.  

Blasphemy.

43 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Right. So trade the best D the Canucks have ever had.

Completely logical.

It's not for either team.  Guess it depends if you think NJD are more interested in a marketing stint vs actually building a team that can win a Cup.  Poorly constructed lines/pairings aren't going to help them win.  It's not just about individual talent but how all the pieces fit together.  

• Vintage 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:24 PM, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

Honestly nothing. He's our franchise player. He'll be the face of the Canucks for the next decade. 

We've never had a defenseman like him, we'll probably never get another. 

• Vintage 1