The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Devils open to trading 2022 1st-round pick

33 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Taking a step back from the 60 point pace of the first 25 games or a step back from the 110 point pace of the last 55 games?  

Probably somewhere in the middle. I expect we'll just miss the playoffs again unless our trades bring back mostly ready NHLers. 80-90 points with an eye on 2024-2025 to start making the playoffs consistently.

42 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

I agree and unfortunately the franchise is paying the price for taking shortcuts rather than doing a proper rebuild.

I have the patience to wait 2-3 years of a mini rebuild to restock the prospect pool, turnover the roster especially the D corp, salary cap relief, etc.

This all means nothing if Aquaman isn't onboard with the plan and/or meddles with management.

Yeah I always knew we were going to pay a big price for the Cup run in 2011and subsequent bare cupboards and litany of NMC's. Then keeping the Sedin's while they slumbered to retirement stagnated the team too. I accepted all that but we just made too many shortcut moves in the end without a clear direction. The last couple years were especially bad. Too many middling swiss army knife type players (here coach do something with this crap) without an eye on future needs. Too many Pearson's, Poolman's, Dickinson's, Hamonic's, Hawryluk' s, Benn's, and Petan's but I digress as that's over now. How we didn't draft some more RD's I don't understand. Myrenburg, Woo, Carl Neill, and Matt Brassard, in 9 years. :picard: Definitely need to make the D a priority as well as some top 6 help for Petey (future), and bottom depth. At least 2-3 years ... possibly more.

I don't have any concerns with ownership meddling. FA knows $$ and he knows it's time to sit back and let the new management team do their best.

NO MORE SHORCUTS :excl:

We're finally at a point where we have an asset that is light years past the Ballard Raymond 1st source material we all laughed at for a decade.  But instead of taking ti seriously and looking at what players of that calibre return in trade historically, we are suggesting our best possible return is a raymond ballard and a 2nd for him.

Crazy

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Probably somewhere in the middle. I expect we'll just miss the playoffs again unless our trades bring back mostly ready NHLers. 80-90 points with an eye on 2024-2025 to start making the playoffs consistently.

If we are losing Miller, Myers, Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman etc we are shedding cap for sure but we are absolutely taking a step back.  new coach or not.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If we are losing Miller, Myers, Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman etc we are shedding cap for sure but we are absolutely taking a step back.  new coach or not.

Depends on who comes back.  Pretty far fetched but if we do the following, we’d be slightly better:

-Miller, Pearson and 15OA for 2OA (Slafkovsky or Nemec) and Zacha

-Myers for Marino 

-Shed Dickinson and Poolman for free or a slight add of later picks.

-Sign Forsberg, Kuzmenko, Zadorov

Chance of half of that happening is nearly 0% however we will get returns by moving those guys and free up cap to add better fitting pieces in FA.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Depends on who comes back.  Pretty far fetched but if we do the following, we’d be slightly better:

-Myers for Marino 

Chance of half of that happening is nearly 0% however we will get returns by moving those guys and free up cap to add better fitting pieces in FA.

We can't guarantee any of that is coming back though is the issue.

We also can not guarantee we can sign any of those players.

That's where my mind is at.

We will, or could be moving Miller/Boeser/Myers/Dickinson/Poolman/Pearson possibly any combo of them or more.  Doesn't seem big but losing Miller/Boeser and any one or two of the others means a significant step back without factoring in additions

We could as easily be in the lottery hunt as we could be the playoffs 

My personal thought is if we do net #2OA; we move Slafkovsky to the AHL for the full season because he should figure out the NA style of the game.  Taking a step back in this of all years is NOT the worst idea either because the top 10 rumoured this coming year; including the gem Bedard is something else.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Perhaps it’s Boeser that gets inked first,  and a move closer to family and home of his destination goes with it.

New Jersey was rumoured to him in Feb - Mar this year.

Boeser could hi light a package that includes the 15th and a goalie.   

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We can't guarantee any of that is coming back though is the issue.

We also can not guarantee we can sign any of those players.

That's where my mind is at.

We will, or could be moving Miller/Boeser/Myers/Dickinson/Poolman/Pearson possibly any combo of them or more.  Doesn't seem big but losing Miller/Boeser and any one or two of the others means a significant step back without factoring in additions

We could as easily be in the lottery hunt as we could be the playoffs 

My personal thought is if we do net #2OA; we move Slafkovsky to the AHL for the full season because he should figure out the NA style of the game.  Taking a step back in this of all years is NOT the worst idea either because the top 10 rumoured this coming year; including the gem Bedard is something else.

I agree that none of it can be guaranteed and I’d also wager that we won’t see that many of them move.  I think Dickinson/Poolman are the only pure cap dumps for close to free while the others would all return younger players with potential or younger players of a different need.  I don’t think they will move those guys purely for picks.

If we take a couple players in their prime for younger emerging stars, i think we see Petey, Podz, Hogs, Garland, Bo + the returns and UFAs step up to fill the void.  I think the organizational depth it gives us puts us in a better overall position.

if we get 2OA, I would also be in interested in trading down to 4OA to get Nemec or Jiricek.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps it’s Boeser that gets inked first,  and a move closer to family and home of his destination goes with it.

New Jersey was rumoured to him in Feb - Mar this year.

Boeser could hi light a package that includes the 15th and a goalie.   

I don’t know that New Jersey really fits the bill for the type of ‘closer’ most of the Brock discussion has been centered around. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I agree that none of it can be guaranteed and I’d also wager that we won’t see that many of them move.  I think Dickinson/Poolman are the only pure cap dumps for close to free while the others would all return younger players with potential or younger players of a different need.  I don’t think they will move those guys purely for picks.

If we take a couple players in their prime for younger emerging stars, i think we see Petey, Podz, Hogs, Garland, Bo + the returns and UFAs step up to fill the void.  I think the organizational depth it gives us puts us in a better overall position.

if we get 2OA, I would also be in interested in trading down to 4OA to get Nemec or Jiricek.

We don't have the depth yet to cover our losses is what i am saying.

If we got 2nd OA and didn't run to draft Slafkovksy, I'd be looking at Arizona for the 3rdOA; their last 1st and first 2nd.  Otherwise omg the best winger in nucks history would be in our hands

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

-Myers for Marino 

I love this style of thinking. Sure you might be right and all your desired moves might not immediately go down but you have to think big and keep the whole picture at the forefront. Having something similar to this should be the goal. Hopefully it all happens next year but anytime over the next two or three years would be acceptable as well.

• Cheers 1

I’m bored….

QH + Dickinson 

to NJ for

2nd overall + Sacha + Holtz + Bahl

Miller + Poolman

to COL for

Byram + Newhook + 3rd 2022

Myers + Boeser/Garland

to PIT for

Marino + Hallander + 1st 2023

:P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

I’m bored….

QH + Dickinson 

to NJ for

Miller + Poolman

to COL for

Myers + Boeser/Garland

to PIT for

Get ‘r done JR. :frantic:

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I always knew we were going to pay a big price for the Cup run in 2011and subsequent bare cupboards and litany of NMC's. Then keeping the Sedin's while they slumbered to retirement stagnated the team too. I accepted all that but we just made too many shortcut moves in the end without a clear direction. The last couple years were especially bad. Too many middling swiss army knife type players (here coach do something with this crap) without an eye on future needs. Too many Pearson's, Poolman's, Dickinson's, Hamonic's, Hawryluk' s, Benn's, and Petan's but I digress as that's over now. How we didn't draft some more RD's I don't understand. Myrenburg, Woo, Carl Neill, and Matt Brassard, in 9 years. :picard: Definitely need to make the D a priority as well as some top 6 help for Petey (future), and bottom depth. At least 2-3 years ... possibly more.

I don't have any concerns with ownership meddling. FA knows $$ and he knows it's time to sit back and let the new management team do their best.

NO MORE SHORCUTS :excl:

Yeah. Benning’s greatest weakness was probably his lack of patience that cost this team. The guy was an idiot thinking he could shortcut his way. He’s drafted some good, solid pieces. 

But his pro scouting was atrocious. Amateur scouting was decent to good. But all that talk about him being a super scout, yeah, I don’t see it. Tampa Bay has seemingly “better” super scouts with the way they’ve drafted. 

16 hours ago, BPA said:

I’m bored….

QH + Dickinson 

to NJ for

Miller + Poolman

to COL for

Myers + Boeser/Garland

to PIT for

Plug Mercer in for Zacha, NJD want those marketing dollars then they need to pony up.

If GMPA could pull these trades off I'd go crazy, wishful thinking though.

21 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

-Myers for Marino 

That Miller deal is horrible

54 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

That Miller deal is horrible

If you break it down into two parts I feel it meets our needs very well:

Zacha for Pearson:  Gives the Canucks a younger, bigger, faster 3C with some uptapped potential vs a solid but slower winger.  Insulation for Horvat and Petey in case of injury too.  C depth is key.

Miller, 15OA for 2OA (Slafkovsky):  Miller is great now but will decline and cost a ton limiting future improvements.  15OA could be a good player but still a lot of risk.  Slafkovsky has risk but could easily be a franchise altering PWF with strong goal scoring.  Add to the fact that he’ll be likely ready in a year, and we save ~8M in cap for immediate help (Forsberg, Kuzmenko, Niederreiter, Kadri etc) and it would be a turning point for us.  

If we can get more great, however this would still work in my eyes.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, Gawdzukes said:

Which is, more or less, what I'm expecting and hoping for, frankly.  This team has a solid young core, it doesn't draft picks (not as the focal point)......it needs roster players who can step in and contribute.