The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Linus Karlsson

10 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Why do ppl assume Karlsson will likely need time in AHL?? He could be like Hoglander making instant impact! He seems to have a pretty quick shot and good hockey IQ!! 

because to be an effective player he needs to be good defensively - that will be his biggest learning curve. So if he's already there, great but I think a lot of folks just don't expect him to be able to step in to the defensive side of things right away, its a lot to expect. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Why do ppl assume Karlsson will likely need time in AHL?? He could be like Hoglander making instant impact! He seems to have a pretty quick shot and good hockey IQ!! 

Hoglander likely would have been better served by some time in the AHL FWIW. If he had, we might not have seen the struggles and healthy scratches he had this year.

Karlsson is likely going to need time to adjust to the North American game, refine his two way play, and continue working on his skating.

Happy for him to come blow the doors off and prove me wrong, but I think that's probably less likely.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hoglander likely would have been better served by some time in the AHL FWIW. If he had, we might not have seen the struggles and healthy scratches he had this year.

Karlsson is likely going to need time to adjust to the North American game, refine his two way play, and continue working on his skating.

Happy for him to come blow the doors off and prove me wrong, but I think that's probably less likely.

Yes I'm thinking Abby too, plus we have a lot of middle size lower tier forwards to sort out.

As for Hogs I'm hoping he's staying at Coach B's waxing on and waxing off. Getting some of that Boudreau mojo. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/27/2022 at 3:37 PM, JamesB said:

Interesting comment about Hoglander. I agree that he needs to change his style of play to avoid falling into the familiar trap of being good enough offensively to be an AHL star but not good enough to play top 6 in the NHL and without other aspects to his game that would allow him to play in the bottom 6 in the NHL.

But I think he can be a lot better than just a 4th line energy guy in the NHL. He has enough offensive skill to be a solid "middle 6" NHL regular if he just improves his defensive game. I agree that he needs to focus on being defensively responsible first for a while until that gets to be a habit. Then, with good defensive habits in place, he can focus more on offense again. But I think he can do this as a middle 6 forward in the NHL. 

I also agree that he needs to take advantage of his natural aggression. He is not big but he can play with a bit of an edge and can play a high energy game and is a fast skater. He has those things in common with Motte. But he has more offensive skill. Motte is much better defensively and that is what Hogz  needs to work on.

No guarantee that he can transition in this way but he would be valuable to the Canucks if he can. If he can't, I would expect him to be traded.

I don't necessarily think Hoglander has to change his style -- his skill set and style looks to be well suited for the role Tyler Motte has left vacant.

Would agree with you that he's upside is a solid middle six player in the NHL...I think that time spent developing his game as an energy 4th liner in the likeness of Tyler Motte would serve him and the Canucks well.  He's got that coveted combination of skill and edge (i.e., a mini power forward as his buddy Elias describes him as) that I believe would make him a natural replacement for Tyler Motte, someone who the Canucks may have a hard replacing.  I can see a fourth line of Lammikko at centre, flanked by Hoglander and Lockwood being pretty effective, though at this stage, it looks like Highmore understands the responsibilities of a fourth line LW better than Hoglander.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, JM_ said:

because to be an effective player he needs to be good defensively - that will be his biggest learning curve. So if he's already there, great but I think a lot of folks just don't expect him to be able to step in to the defensive side of things right away, its a lot to expect. 

Ya... I get the logic... Let's hope he figures out the NHL level this offseason!! We need any cheap prospects who can help offensively! We got enough 4th liners!! 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Imagine if we don't land Kuzmenko... There's gonna be a lot more pressure to play Karlsson... We are not gonna get any good FA's in summer unless we somehow make salary dump. 

14 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Ya... I get the logic... Let's hope he figures out the NHL level this offseason!! We need any cheap prospects who can help offensively! We got enough 4th liners!! 

Its fine to let him percolate in the AHL for one year. Its raised Rathbone's game a lot, and Linus will get call up's for sure at some point. 

This kid could be pretty special, I see him as maybe our Erikson-Ek as his ceiling. Probably not as high a goal scorer, but a future 3C. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Imagine if we don't land Kuzmenko... There's gonna be a lot more pressure to play Karlsson... We are not gonna get any good FA's in summer unless we somehow make salary dump. 

Meh. The market's going to pressure what it does, anyway. Don't see current management pandering to any of it regardless of Kuzmenko or any other moves.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

Its fine to let him percolate in the AHL for one year. Its raised Rathbone's game a lot, and Linus will get call up's for sure at some point. 

This kid could be pretty special, I see him as maybe our Erikson-Ek as his ceiling. Probably not as high a goal scorer, but a future 3C. 

Problem I have is, we probably can't afford signing any decent top 6 forwards this summer... Unless we trade away Boeser or Miller...  There'll be no takers for Myers or OEL! 

3 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Hoglander will be fine.  He's very young still.  He had a down season this year but that's not uncommon.  I expect he'll bounce back and the good news is that patience with him is likely fine within the timeline for this team.

Agreed, it ain't uncommon for second year players to struggle a bit either. It'll be interesting to see how he looks after a summer of training, he's got good upside and he's very young.

11 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Problem I have is, we probably can't afford signing any decent top 6 forwards this summer... Unless we trade away Boeser or Miller...  There'll be no takers for Myers or OEL! 

I like OEL, if we make the playoffs next year we'll be happy to have him. Technically no on has to be traded going in to next season so there should be any panic deals, I'd expect good roster player back in any scenario. 

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Hoglander will be fine.  He's very young still.  He had a down season this year but that's not uncommon.  I expect he'll bounce back and the good news is that patience with him is likely fine within the timeline for this team.

Yeah, I don't get the urge to sell low on him and move him out by a lot of folks. 

Cheap, cost controlled, incredibly hard working player that we've already seen has upside, and had a common sophomore slump. 

Move him!! :frantic:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I don't get the urge to sell low on him and move him out by a lot of folks. 

Cheap, cost controlled, incredibly hard working player that we've already seen has upside, how had a common sophomore slump. 

Move him!! :frantic:

It’s not up to us though.  

I can see JR using Hogs as sweetener to dump a contract (Myers?) so he doesn’t have to retain dollars.  

Karlsson comes in and takes Hogs’ minutes.  Switching players while dumping cap.  

Edited by Alflives