The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Linus Karlsson

9 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

Does it seem like he'll have the jam to do the 3rd line C role if he gets a shot with the big club? 

Tends to be a pretty physical position.  

Depends who his line mates are. If he could develop into our version of Erik sson Ek that would be great, with big gritty wingers like Klimovich. 

Edited by JM_

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think he has as much offensive sense as Dahlen, but he will probably be a better overall player and get more ice time. I think he projects as a much more 200 foot game type of player than Dahlen ever will.

That was a jab against Timrafan.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This checks off another box for the offseason.  Getting LK locked in, and getting  confirmation of McDonaughs intent to sign are two key prospect moves.

I expect that he will be in Abby for the most part next year, but should hopefully be ready for a bigger role with the Canucks the following year.  

I think everyone isi hoping he can develop into a solid 3rd C, or worst case bottom of the lineup winger.  

I've watched him quite a bit over the past two seasons. He's a good hockey player but so are/were Philip Holm, Henrik Tömmernes, Anton Rödin and a lot of other swedish players that come over to NA and never really stick in the NHL. He's that type of prospect. A stereotypical swedish center with a good hockey education who understands both sides of the ice. 

I liked the Anthony Cirelli comparison, as his ceiling, but he's nowhere close to that right now. He's not overly fast either which doesn't help. Good shot, good size, good two-way game, and decent playmaking ability. I'd throw in a Rasmus Asplund (albeit with a few more inches) as a comparable as well.  

I think he definitely sees NHL action at some point during these two years but I don't see him being a guarantee to stick in the NHL. Obviously I hope for the best for him and the Canucks. Would be awesome if he could settle in as our 3rd line center in the future but I think that's unlikely at best. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

JR's MO is to not rush players. And he has said he wants to build Abby into "the best franchise in the AHL". For these two reasons I think it is very likely that Karlsson starts in Abby. He would need to be lights out in pre-season to stick with the Canucks to start the season. But that is not impossible. One thing that is relevant is whether Miller gets traded and, if he does, who comes back in return. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1