The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Linus Karlsson

Happy we signed him! 

My expectations are reasonable though. He isn't that young already and the North American game is different as we all know. 

Would be so stoked if he developed into a solid 3rd line scorer (at center would be even better). 

Excited to have Karlsson (and Bains) developing next year in Abbotsford. He could be a good support player down the road, or who knows, maybe he excels and becomes a scoring machine in the A, with Bains and possibly Lockwood on his wings. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Very eager to see how he performs in Abbotsford, or even if he can surprise out of training camp. I don't have sky-high expectations, but I am hoping that he can be a top six AHL forward at the very least, given his SHL production. I think he has a very real chance at an NHL job eventually.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Marble, arched & Michaelangelo is contemplating scenes & scale...

The Marble Arrch...wasn't that a strip club, back in the day? And there was something about Motley Crue as well....

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, grumpyone said:

whose spot does he take if he make the big club?

if he is indeed a 3rd line player, then playing with Bo ? 

He, Petey & Hogz are going to be ours, and Sweden's, 1st line for a decade 

11 hours ago, Googlie said:

He, Petey & Hogz are going to be ours, and Sweden's, 1st line for a decade 

If Hoglander was smart, which I think he is, he should re-invent himself to take Motte's role as 4th line LW.  Take on this role, carve out an identity for himself and build his offensive game up slowly, but surely. 

This would beat playing in the AHL and becoming the next Cal O'Reily, Reid Boucher, Sheldon Dries, Sheldon Rempal, Andrew Ebbett, etc.

I love the kid, but if his development trajectory does not change, it's more likely that he becomes a fringe NHL/star AHL player.  Over the long term, I think Hoglander's got the chops to become a Samuel Pahlsson/Patric Horqvist hybrid type player if he can develop his defensive game.  A player like that would be tremendously useful for the Canucks.

• Vintage 1

One takeaway I got from the highlights video a couple of posts above is how wide open he gets.  He has a lethal release, and other teams must know this, yet he was Ovechkin-like in his ability to get free

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Remember to keep your expectations realistic and give him time to adjust to NA.

It always seems to be the same people who write young players off after 1 or 2 seasons, Yet point to guys like forsling and claim how we lost a quality player... Not realizing he took 7 pro seasons to get to this level.

Good luck LK!

This should be pinned. 

6 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

If Hoglander was smart, which I think he is, he should re-invent himself to take Motte's role as 4th line LW.  Take on this role, carve out an identity for himself and build his offensive game up slowly, but surely. 

This would beat playing in the AHL and becoming the next Cal O'Reily, Reid Boucher, Sheldon Dries, Sheldon Rempal, Andrew Ebbett, etc.

I love the kid, but if his development trajectory does not change, it's more likely that he becomes a fringe NHL/star AHL player.  Over the long term, I think Hoglander's got the chops to become a Samuel Pahlsson/Patric Horqvist hybrid type player if he can develop his defensive game.  A player like that would be tremendously useful for the Canucks.

Interesting comment about Hoglander. I agree that he needs to change his style of play to avoid falling into the familiar trap of being good enough offensively to be an AHL star but not good enough to play top 6 in the NHL and without other aspects to his game that would allow him to play in the bottom 6 in the NHL.

But I think he can be a lot better than just a 4th line energy guy in the NHL. He has enough offensive skill to be a solid "middle 6" NHL regular if he just improves his defensive game. I agree that he needs to focus on being defensively responsible first for a while until that gets to be a habit. Then, with good defensive habits in place, he can focus more on offense again. But I think he can do this as a middle 6 forward in the NHL. 

I also agree that he needs to take advantage of his natural aggression. He is not big but he can play with a bit of an edge and can play a high energy game and is a fast skater. He has those things in common with Motte. But he has more offensive skill. Motte is much better defensively and that is what Hogz  needs to work on.

No guarantee that he can transition in this way but he would be valuable to the Canucks if he can. If he can't, I would expect him to be traded.

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1