The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawsuit Against Hockey Canada/CHL (2018 World Junior Team)

Rate this topic

35 minutes ago, lmm said:

in June?

All 8 involved were from the CHL per the lawsuit.  Not all 8 involved were on the U20 team but of that U20 team only 4 were not CHL:  Makar, Fabbro, Colton Point (NCAA) and Mete (MTL).

From Westhead:  Hockey Canada and the CHL were named as defendants in the case, as were eight unnamed CHL players “including but not limited to members of the Canada U20 Men’s Junior Hockey Team.” 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I hope the alleged victim can find peace some day and has a strong support system to help her through the trauma. It’s heartbreaking to hear what she went through.

That said we as a society and parents need to create better boys and men. Teaching them right and wrong and respect for others, especially women. This happens far too often, not just in hockey and it happens in Canada too. There’s going to be more stories to come. It’s unacceptable behavior. Like all reports on the subject it hits me personally as my friend was drugged and raped, but police didn’t believe her after a girl eyewitness said she was just drunk and there was no evidence left behind. I wish every day I had been with her that night to protect her.

The only way we stop these horrific events is through education of the younger generation and there’s no better time to start then now.

Great point: We hide behind the fallacies we create.  Taking accountability for the things you do on and off the ice are paramount.  A strongly built moral character should trump the type of accountability that comes off the ice.  But down here in the Bible belt, Houston, Texas, we have the Deshaun Watson saga,  Those who win football games or basketball games are kings.  This did not start happening as a one of, it is a system that ignores it, because it is easier to write a check and hide behind it.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The article specified it was CHL players.

Read it again, those who were part of the U20 team that year were also part of the 8 individuals when this incident took place, the same night as the Gala event. Those who were in that photo are all suspects, and there’s a couple of college guys in that too. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Read it again, those who were part of the U20 team that year were also part of the 8 individuals when this incident took place, the same night as the Gala event. Those who were in that photo are all suspects, and there’s a couple of college guys in that too. 

The article said, "eight unnamed CHL players including but not limited to members of the Canada U20 Men’s Junior Hockey Team.” It sounds like:

• all 8 are CHL players
  • not all 8 are from Canada U20 Men's Junior Hockey Team
    • maybe some are from other countries teams? 

The fact that those 8 were all together must mean that they're pretty close? So part of the U20 team and also part of the same league or team perhaps?

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

There’s no way others couldn’t have not known what was going on.

I’d expect nearly every player, as well as others around that team, would know (or at least have heard) who “John Doe 1” is, and also have a pretty good idea about the identities of the other seven players.

Hopefully someone will come forward and cooperate with the investigators.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

The article said, "eight unnamed CHL players including but not limited to members of the Canada U20 Men’s Junior Hockey Team.” It sounds like:

• all 8 are CHL players

The fact that those 8 were all together must mean that they're pretty close? So part of the U20 team and also part of the same league or team perhaps?

It was a charity event with a gala and golf for Hockey Canada in the middle of June.   Can't see other countries being present.  

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

• all 8 are CHL players

Its strictly the Canadian U20 World Juniors team or Hockey Canada. 

Its referring to CHL players AND other members not with the CHL but part of that World Juniors team of that year, implying at least 1 other John Doe was from the NCAA, the only other organization/league that had a member playing for Team Canada. No other player on that specific team came from overseas, or any other hockey league or organization relative to that specific year.

The alleged incident happened the same night of that picture being taken. The reason why they mentioned CHL that way is because it’s an event affiliated with the CHL. It’s really a Hockey Canada event, and college athletes who are named part of Team Canada are obviously able to attend these events, despite it being affiliated with the CHL.

Edited by Odd.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Well if the agent says so, it must be true.           /s

I'm not saying it isn't true, but I think the agent is a biased source.

Which goes back to, if I were a player on that team, I'd be getting a lawyer to clear my name- upto producing a polygraph test showing that I had nothing to do with it.

This will tarnish a lot of folk that had nothing to do with it --- but they might have.

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Well if the agent says so, it must be true.           /s

I'm not saying it isn't true, but I think the agent is a biased source.

Which goes back to, if I were a player on that team, I'd be getting a lawyer to clear my name- upto producing a polygraph test showing that I had nothing to do with it.

This will tarnish a lot of folk that had nothing to do with it --- but they might have.

I think his agent would have kept his mouth shut if he had been involved.  I trust the fact that the report specified CHL players does far more to clear his name than his agent.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Identify and pressure those who were not "involved" to stand up and say, "It was not me."

After that, it is a process of elimination.

If they want to be clear of the smear, they should be forthcoming and help investigators bring criminal charges.

There is no requirement for 'team loyalty' for crimes of this magnitude.

Also, identify all who covered it up.

And start rooting them all out.  ASAP.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:13 PM, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I hope the alleged victim can find peace some day and has a strong support system to help her through the trauma. It’s heartbreaking to hear what she went through.

That said we as a society and parents need to create better boys and men. Teaching them right and wrong and respect for others, especially women. This happens far too often, not just in hockey and it happens in Canada too. There’s going to be more stories to come. It’s unacceptable behavior. Like all reports on the subject it hits me personally as my friend was drugged and raped, but police didn’t believe her after a girl eyewitness said she was just drunk and there was no evidence left behind. I wish every day I had been with her that night to protect her.

The only way we stop these horrific events is through education of the younger generation and there’s no better time to start then now.

You are not alone; I am also on a much too long list of boyfriends and friends who have had someone harmed by crimes such as these.

Like you, it still affects me every single day and it was a very very long time ago.

Edited by Goal:thecup
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So who are the CHL players?  Gads was, but he’s stated he wasn’t involved.  These 8 guys must be sweating right now, and good.  They are suffering with knowing their hockey careers are soon going to be taken from them.   Get these 8 and cancel their contracts.   Maybe one of them feels enough remorse (doubtful) and comes forward.