The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Major Changes Coming, Country Club Atmosphere ~ Shannon and Kypreos

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

This thread is only embarassing because there are people who bother to put the words of what that bonehead former hack Kyp has to say on a pedestal, especially when it relates to the Canucks.

If people stopped posting his drivel, and treated his words as that of the clueless &^@# that he truly is, then there would be no thread and no embarassment to speak of.

What’s the fun of that, though?  :frantic:

Of course none of this stuff will happen, but it’s “silly season”. :blink:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Jm , you know I share the same respect for you, and agree with you on opposing opinions,.

But in his entire career here,  it’s been rare to see this player establish himself as a physical presence for the Canucks, and or hold have it on his resume’.

I can see that pov. I guess for me I like his other contributions enough that I can live with him not brining that extra part. 

I really do marvel at the guy being so consistent, thats a pretty good thing imo. 

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Id do Bo for Lafraneire and Lindgren in a heart beat.

2 young gritty contributors.

so would I :lol: as much as I like Bo, thats a great deal for us. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think people keep thinking moving on from a player means a net lose, which is not the case unless the player walks, and then even if he does, who you sign to replace him, makes it a lesser loss, and in some cases, the player coming in can actually fill in a more important roll.

In the case of a trade like Horvat or Miller, where you are going to get very good assts back, and where you again, can use the extra cap to sign another quality player.............

I think all to often we get focused on the personality and not the results.

I agree with you J.I.A.H.N except you have to watch that the team doesn't put the cart before the horse cause the horse might be heading the other way . UFA's scare me because they tend to cost more than they are worth , don't always work out or the one you're targeting might just go somewhere else leaving you with second or third choices . Hated Van trading away all those high draft choices while we were  bottom tier [ Miller's the exception not sure about OEL and Garland deal yet ]. Would love to get a top 5 pick this year and maybe a second and  some  A prospects as well . Just mixed feeling about trading away the guys that looked so good once bb got here . 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I know the article. Concussions with young athletes is something I have a lot of experience in so I made up my opinion on him. He's actually back sooner then I would have expected, figured he'd take the year to rest.

Good for him! Still a shame we couldn't bring him home to BC.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Nurnge said:

I agree with you J.I.A.H.N except you have to watch that the team doesn't put the cart before the horse cause the horse might be heading the other way . UFA's scare me because they tend to cost more than they are worth , don't always work out or the one you're targeting might just go somewhere else leaving you with second or third choices . Hated Van trading away all those high draft choices while we were  bottom tier [ Miller's the exception not sure about OEL and Garland deal yet ]. Would love to get a top 5 pick this year and maybe a second and  some  A prospects as well . Just mixed feeling about trading away the guys that looked so good once bb got here . 

On that note....which I think is a fair point....

It will be interesting to see how the Canucks sign their UFA's from now on. Some GM's get guys to sign 3 year deals, others get them to sign 6/7 year deals....

I think this is an important aspect of signing UFA's

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pears said:

And Kes had that level of fire/physical play to go along with his offensive abilities that we just haven’t seen yet from Bo, who I absolutely love. 

I do think that Bo is every bit of a big game player as Kes was, the only problem is this team has had very few big games for Bo to prove this.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Looking at how John Cooper and his team play. They have a ton of fun and so does the coach. He reminds me of Steve Kerr in the NBA. 

I’d rather emulate that than some old school hockey notion of ruling with an iron fist and being serious all the time. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I do think that Bo is every bit of a big game player as Kes was, the only problem is this team has had very few big games for Bo to prove this.

Love Bo, but Kesler > Bo. All the leaving baggage aside, assess just the players. When Kesler was here he lit a fire unlike anyone other than Miller on our team can. 

I see 4 players that are or should be untouchable Pettersson, Hughes, Demko and Podkolzin. Everyone else should be used to improve around them and build through these next two drafts. This team needs a complete overhaul in order to be competitive now and for the future. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, GB5 said:

Again. No one is questioning Bo’s big game play. It’s not playing up to his size that has people wondering. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Big changes, right?  Rebuild.  And Demko is too good for a rebuilding team.  

But marner and drai is not? I mean if u gonna blow up and rebuild the team then u get rid of everything including EP since u ain’t done rebuilding in 3 years and he probably doesn’t want to re-sign either we can be the new buffalo or Arizona 

Don't get all the hate in this thread about the 'rumour'.

Shannon and Kypper are pretty well connected around the league.

This is in line with what Sat and Irf reported a while ago about possibly have a lot of turnover on the roster this off-season.

It also lines up with what JR and PA have said to the media, it'll be difficult to make moves with low cap flexibility, but there is a lot of changes that need to be made.

Hopefully the offseason lives up to the hype.

12 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

And finally, you don't need to hurl insults at people who do not share your view on a person who plays a game for a living. You may be surprised at the level of sports many played here, including myself. That however does not make anyone more right or wrong, we are all entitled to our opinions.

However, insults certainly don't reflect well on the person hurling them.

Not sure who I insulted... did not comment on anyones experience playing sports...

Maybe saying repsonses were in perfect keyboard warrior style? Pretty common practice for many sports fans, and the internet in general, passing off opinions as fact that are often disrespectful of a player or person. Usually something they would not have the balls to say to someone's face. 

Maybe my comment referring to posts about people saying Horvat does not hit as ignorance? It's an actual word... not an insult. Look it up if you like. Is what it is.

Sorry if you feel insulted by me sharing my  opinions on trading or demoting Horvat.

Was not my intention anyways.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Not sure who I insulted... did not comment on anyones experience playing sports...

Maybe saying repsonses were in perfect keyboard warrior style? Pretty common practice for many sports fans, and the internet in general, passing off opinions as fact that are often disrespectful of a player or person. Usually something they would not have the balls to say to someone's face. 

Maybe my comment referring to posts about people saying Horvat does not hit as ignorance? It's an actual word... not an insult. Look it up if you like. Is what it is.

Sorry if you feel insulted by me sharing my  opinions on trading or demoting Horvat.

Was not my intention anyways.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I have always thought the country club comments to just be stupid. 
The NHL is 700 men who usually grew up advantaged enough to afford hockey and power skating and personal training and nutritionists… They have often been treated like royalty since they strapped skates on and they often make millions of dollars.

An NHL locker room is a country club.  
These spoiled man-childs get everything off the ice done for them and providing top level facilities and amenities are a big part of keeping them happy and signing them. 
A country club attitude is something franchises look for and cultivate, the hard part is making it clear that it is their hard work that gets them all the perks. If they got to the NHL they mostly understand this but some never do. 

Good post. You hear the occasional story about players who've overcome a lot of adversity, stories about what parents and families sacrifice, but the reality is a lot of these players are pretty damn privileged from the get go.

They're not people most blue collar folks aren't going to relate to on a lot of levels, and yet the term country club is thrown around as if they're just like us.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Good post. You hear the occasional story about players who've overcome a lot of adversity, stories about what parents and families sacrifice, but the reality is a lot of these players are pretty damn privileged from the get go.

They're not people most blue collar folks aren't going to relate to on a lot of levels, and yet the term country club is thrown around as if they're just like us.

Was careful to always say most, absolutely some come from Blue Collar and even poor families but there is a reason more and more NHL players come from NHL families and it is only partially genetic. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Was careful to always say most, absolutely some come from Blue Collar and even poor families but there is a reason more and more NHL players come from NHL families and it is only partially genetic. 

Oh def, hockey has become more and more of a rich man's game as time has gone on. Back in the day guys weren't training as much like modern professional athletes as possible, or accessing all the services and nutrition necessary to try and do so.

The Bobby Ryan's of the NHL are the anomaly not the norm.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Oh def, hockey has become more and more of a rich man's game as time has gone on. Back in the day guys weren't training as much like modern professional athletes as possible, or accessing all the services and nutrition necessary to try and do so.

The Bobby Ryan's of the NHL are the anomaly not the norm.

Who was the Oiler (think he was an Oiler) who hurt his back eating pancakes?  Old time hockey! :lol: