The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Colorado Avalanche (C1) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (A3) | Avalanche win 2022 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2022 Stanley Cup Final  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/19/2022 at 12:00 AM

So basically Sakic was the GM of the Avs around the same time Benning was GM for the Canucks. Since then Sakic built a cup winning team and Benning has had 2 playoff appearances in 8 years (one being a bubble year).

I think this magnifies the wasted season Canucks has the last 8 years.

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So basically Sakic was the GM of the Avs around the same time Benning was GM for the Canucks. Since then Sakic built a cup winning team and Benning has had 2 playoff appearances in 8 years (one being a bubble year).

I think this magnifies the wasted season Canucks has the last 8 years.

Not saying Benning was close or on the right path or anything but to be fair Sakic inherited Mackinnon, Landeskog, and Duchene when he started building.

Benning inherited a team that had aged out and had zero NHL prospects.

Completely different scenarios. To compare Benning would have had to take over after he already had Horvat, Boeser, and Petey.

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not saying Benning was close or on the right path or anything but to be fair Sakic inherited Mackinnon, Landeskog, and Duchene when he started building.

Benning inherited a team that had aged out and had zero NHL prospects.

Completely different scenarios. To compare Benning would have had to take over after he already had Horvat, Boeser, and Petey.

True but this basically from one end of the spectrum to another and let's not forget the Avs were a worse team than Vancouver not too long ago.  If the Canucks started to become a consistent playoff team the last 2 or 3 then I would have been satisficed. Instead the last two seasons Canucks missed the playoffs and probably would have missed it again in 2020 if not for the Pandemic. The lesson not to squander and waste any years that could have been used to improve the team. 

Plus you don't need prospects to pull off genius deals like the Barrie for Kadri and the Duchene deal, you just need so to have some good negotiating and deal making acumen.

Edited by iinatcc

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

True but this basically from one end of the spectrum to another and let's not forget the Avs were a worse team than Vancouver not too long ago.  If the Canucks started to become a consistent playoff team the last 2 or 3 then I would have been satisficed. Instead the last two seasons Canucks missed the playoffs and probably would have missed it again in 2020 if not for the Pandemic. The lesson not to squander and waste any years that could have been used to improve the team. 

Plus you don't need prospects to pull off genius deals like the Barrie for Kadri and the Duchene deal, you just need so to have some good negotiating and deal making acumen.

You pretty much ignored DeNiro's point though...it matters.

Getting a number one draft pick is a huge game changer in most instances. MacKinnon is a game changer. I'm not saying he's THE team, but those players are huge difference makers. You're building outward from them and that gives you a pretty secure foundation to start with. Sure, the rest of the roster is pretty impressive and I don't disagree with that. But I wouldn't want Kadri here (for instance).  Yes, moves they made turned out but Kadri comes with risk...he plays an emotional (sometimes volatile) game that, on this team, probably gets him suspended and puts a hole on the bench rather than an ass(et) there..

I feel that some get stuck on the narrative and "probably would have missed again" isn't factual. They did get in (bubble) and this year they almost did...had they not had the abysmal start they would have been in. The Avs took time too and they've been a work in progress. Sure, their trajectory is much more positive, but there are reasons for that.

No one tries to squander/waste years. Genius deals after the fact give you the luxury of hindsight....teams don't have that as they sign those deals.

Like DeNiro, I'm not arguing that there weren't mistakes along the way...but some don't use perspective when recalling the history. Petey's injury clearly impacted the team...when he's on, that's a bunch of extra goals that we get. We drafted some pretty great players but no number one picks. Petey, Quinn, etc. need time to shine and it's been less than 5 years for them. MacKinnon joined his team 9 years ago...give our young studs a bit more time to develop into their roles. The Avs timeline's a little ahead of ours.

This was the Avs when MacKinnon first slid into the line up and they began building around him. There's often a fair bit of suffering as a team grows and rounds out. It isn't just press go....hits and misses are part of the human element of the game. Avs have done a great job and it's not wrong to admire that and want to follow their path but it's not like it was always just perfection...it's taking time to get things right.

image.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Lots of love for the Avs right now.  In the upcoming years, Canuck fans will hate them as much as the old

Chicago team. 

I was JUST starting to see my hatred of them from 2004 fade when....Kadri joined the team. Nope.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Honest question to all of you. How many of you saw the potential of Cale Makar on draft day? Drafted from the AJHL, and turns into probably the top 3 player in the League, and his career path might have him as one of the best ever defenseman, right up there with Orr.

Honestly I thought Makar was another Dante Fabbro and couldn't figure out why he was rated so much higher than Fabbro was.

8 hours ago, -DLC- said:

You pretty much ignored DeNiro's point though...it matters.

Getting a number one draft pick is a huge game changer in most instances. MacKinnon is a game changer. I'm not saying he's THE team, but those players are huge difference makers. You're building outward from them and that gives you a pretty secure foundation to start with. Sure, the rest of the roster is pretty impressive and I don't disagree with that. But I wouldn't want Kadri here (for instance).  Yes, moves they made turned out but Kadri comes with risk...he plays an emotional (sometimes volatile) game that, on this team, probably gets him suspended and puts a hole on the bench rather than an ass(et) there..

I feel that some get stuck on the narrative and "probably would have missed again" isn't factual. They did get in (bubble) and this year they almost did...had they not had the abysmal start they would have been in. The Avs took time too and they've been a work in progress. Sure, their trajectory is much more positive, but there are reasons for that.

No one tries to squander/waste years. Genius deals after the fact give you the luxury of hindsight....teams don't have that as they sign those deals.

Like DeNiro, I'm not arguing that there weren't mistakes along the way...but some don't use perspective when recalling the history. Petey's injury clearly impacted the team...when he's on, that's a bunch of extra goals that we get. We drafted some pretty great players but no number one picks. Petey, Quinn, etc. need time to shine and it's been less than 5 years for them. MacKinnon joined his team 9 years ago...give our young studs a bit more time to develop into their roles. The Avs timeline's a little ahead of ours.

This was the Avs when MacKinnon first slid into the line up and they began building around him. There's often a fair bit of suffering as a team grows and rounds out. It isn't just press go....hits and misses are part of the human element of the game. Avs have done a great job and it's not wrong to admire that and want to follow their path but it's not like it was always just perfection...it's taking time to get things right.

image.png 

I just saw this article now from Matt Sekeres himself, I think this pretty much supports my view on this 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-avalanche-directions-nhl-doormats

Like I said I wasn't expecting The Canucks to be Contenders but at least a steady upward trajectory would have been nice. Instead of the team took one step forward from the 2020 season and 3 steps back since then. 

Edited by iinatcc

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I just saw this article now from Matt Sekeres himself, I think this pretty much supports my view on this 

Like I said I wasn't expecting The Canucks to be Contenders but at least a steady upward trajectory would have been nice. Instead of the team took one step forward from the 2020 season and 3 steps back since then. 

We have all lived the disappointment of being a Canuck fan.  Another underlying disappointment is the lack of a

franchise #1 pick in the draft.  Can you imagine having Ekblad or Matthews instead of Joulevi and Virtanen?

That's a lot of bad luck for our team. 

You look at Colorado with a 1st, 2nd and two 4ths is not the only story.  They managed to get an elite player who dropped

to them at #4 (Makar) and then again when they picked up Byron at #4. That's a lot of good luck for the Avs.

Being an American team is definitely an advantage in acquiring UFAs and signing players to reasonable contracts.

You have to give the Avs credit though. They have a tremendous management team that has great scouting of Jr talent, as well as professional talent; along with a GM that makes great trades and balances his cap space perfectly. They deserve

their success.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, iinatcc said:

Sekeres? No thanks, I won't even read his stuff at this point.

And seriously? Did you see their season since December? I'd say since Bruce there's been a significant step forward but people just act like that didn't happen.

Matt clearly also ignores the fact that the Avs got a number one draft pick, one of the key components to their success. And that he's 4-5 years ahead of guys like Petey and Quinn, so I expect his progress to also be further ahead.

I love when the Suckereses of the world ignore some important facts. This guys knows:

Draft picks make a big difference, Avalanche were already accelerating by 2017, Canucks were still sliding. Avs got MacKinnon in 2013 (1st overall) Landeskog (2nd overall 2011) and then Cale Makar 2017 (4th overall). 

It's important to consider that MacKinnon didn't really bust out until 5 years in. Good thing they had patience...wish our fanbase exercised the same with our players.

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1