The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks targetting Copp, Mikheyev, and Lazar

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I do remember a time when he had some pretty credible reports and good news. Then almost overnight during Covid I believe he turned into a complete hack making up sh!t left right and center while throwing people under the bus. It was quite noticeable to me to the point I just ignore what he says now unless it's a direct quote from someone.

Sounds like he is filling the hole the Tony Gallagher left when he retired. Bitter hack that hates athletes reporting on sports. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I do remember a time when he had some pretty credible reports and good news. Then almost overnight during Covid I believe he turned into a complete hack making up sh!t left right and center while throwing people under the bus. It was quite noticeable to me to the point I just ignore what he says now unless it's a direct quote from someone.

I mean, definitely always take him or anyone else with a grain of salt, but he's definitely not just making stuff up but rather "reporting" what his contacts are saying. Anyhoogan, it doesn't matter.

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Sounds like he is filling the hole the Tony Gallagher left when he retired. Bitter hack that hates athletes reporting on sports. 

So true. Reminds me of Drance except add never played a sport, had an exemption in gym class, and has never actually watched a hockey game, and probably doesn't like hockey either. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I mean, definitely always take him or anyone else with a grain of salt, but he's definitely not just making stuff up but rather "reporting" what his contacts are saying. Anyhoogan, it doesn't matter.

Yeah I hear ya. Not that it matters really bud I did notice that shift from serious reporting to fabrication/tabloid style. He definitely talks to agents though so like you said we just need to wade through it all.

Edited by Gawdzukes

12 hours ago, Me_ said:

For a chump who won’t be ready for another 3-4 years?

Perpetual rebuilding. 

got it.

The misconception here is that the Canucks have EVER really rebuilt.  Even the years where we drafted high it was almost accidental.  

Canucks quite frankly have a history of waiting too long and losing value on their players. 

How many times in history have we had a top two pick?  3? 4?  It has worked out well every single time!

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

The misconception here is that the Canucks have EVER really rebuilt.  Even the years where we drafted high it was almost accidental.  

Canucks quite frankly have a history of waiting too long and losing value on their players. 

How many times in history have we had a top two pick?  3? 4?  It has worked out well every single time!

Um…. They’re rebuilt. Only Horvat remains from the time Benning took over.

Drafted we’re Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, and a whole bunch of other ones. Miller for a 1st.

That’s a rebuild.

Edited by Me_

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can kind of see Boeser in a Devils jersey on Hughes' wing.  Boeser and the #15 for the #2?  Not sure it would be worth it, would rather keep Brock and the pick

If that's the trade Jersey needs to throw in a 2nd rounder this year and I am ok with it

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

When they play that silly game to decide which team picks where, it never seems to work for the Canucks. Third worst record in the NHL, but somehow the Rangers who I believe were 14th or 15th, end up with the first overall.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

You don’t watch the games? He leads by example and is one of the few guys who plays with any emotion. Maybe watch some Canucks games before coming up with that ridiculous statement. 

I watch a lot of games actually. And what I see is a player at times who doesn't back check hard in OT if his offensive player doesn't work out. I see a player that multiple times has been told to "f off" by teammates on the bench. Emotion can be dangerous in a leadership environment, you need to be the calm in the storm for your troops. Lead with passion NOT emotion. But what do I know about leadership, I only did 20 plus years and deployed multiple times... so I guess my thoughts and experiences in leadership are how you say...rediculous?

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

When they play that silly game to decide which team picks where, it never seems to work for the Canucks. Third worst record in the NHL, but somehow the Rangers who I believe were 14th or 15th, end up with the first overall.

Cry foul all you want. We know the game is played in favour of elite NHL brass teams (not “elite” teams in terms of quality teams).

Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Detroit, Edmonton, Tampa Bay, Colorado are all elite NHL brass teams. Teams the NHL heads really really like.

Edited by Me_

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Um…. They’re rebuilt. Only Horvat remains from the time Benning took over.

Drafted we’re Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, and a whole bunch of other ones. Miller for a 1st.

That’s a rebuild.

No.  Again a misconception.  

You are referring to that "retooling on the fly" nonsense that they've been trying forever. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Sure but if you just straight up trade for a top two pick then the lottery is not a factor.

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

What do we do with Miller if he's not signed to an extension, and we are fighting for a playoff spot at the 2023 TDL, much like we were this past TDL?  Do we play out the season (again) in hopes of making the playoffs with Miller, or do we let him walk for nothing July 1, 2023?

That's the problem with keeping him here without a new contract.  It's either sign him this summer of trade him.  I don't think having him play without a contract is smart.  Then I'm dumb so, maybe it's smart.  :wacko:

Well.. only Management knows what their smartest choice would be... I was just saying purely from the angle of asset management. And yes, we definitely should shoot for making the playoffs with him since we are not officially in full rebuild... who knows, maybe he enjoys the process so much that he would wanna stick long term with us? At this point, why would Millsy wanna extend not knowing how aggressive we are in offseason trades and FA signings?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, combover said:

Ufas rarely live up to the overpayment they’ll receive 

if we’ve learned nothing from JB era it’s that.

the best value guys are the ones still looking for work in august.on low risk 1 year  contracts 

vanek was one of JBs best UFA 

Copp Deslauriers will be way over priced and we’d just end up with the same issues that plagued this poorly managed team over the last 8 seasons. 

Hope our management team  can find those diamonds at good value with out all the hype of the high profile guys. 

Correct!!! Like I said long ago.... I can only recall Samuelsson being the most prolific decent $ FA signing in recent history.... 95% of the time when we overpaid for FA's... just turned out to be bust!! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Correct!!! Like I said long ago.... I can only recall Samuelsson being the most prolific decent $ FA signing in recent history.... 95% of the time when we overpaid for FA's... just turned out to be bust!! 

Come on now.

We got elite goal scoring from E r i k s s o n.

$1,000,000/goal.

Now that’s monnneyheyhey

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I guess you have crystal balls. 

Do you really need them to see that 9mill for a 36 year old will have a negative impact on the cap?   
It wouldn’t be the first time a team lost a great player because of cap issues.  
It’s how we got Miller to begin with….

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

No.  Again a misconception.  

You are referring to that "retooling on the fly" nonsense that they've been trying forever. 

Gillis said we needed to rebuild and the owner fired him.  Then in came LinBenning and did the whole retool/reset/turn-over the lineup while competing thing.  It was an abysmal failure.  So Linden said we needed to rebuild and he was forced out.  Again our owner went with Benning.  Again dismal failure.  

Now we have JR and his group, who (many fans hope) can do what LinBenningBrod tried to do and failed.  Hopefully our owner accepts JR's opinion and if it comes to a full rebuild he supports that.  Right now though, it sure looks like we will retool around Hughes, Petey and Demko.  If it fails though, we should be doing like Chicago is right now and that is trading away guys for the best return possible over a five year deep dive (draft high) rebuild.  Personally the only player I'd keep, if we do a deep dive rebuild, is Petey.  He will be 27-30 when we are competing again.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Vanek and Vrbata, although not franchise altering, delivered on their contracts at least.  But yeah, it's definitely not a long list.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Vanek and Vrbata, although not franchise altering, delivered on their contracts at least.  But yeah, it's definitely not a long list.

Vanek was great for what he was, Vrbata gave one good year and checked out. 
What about our former captain, #11 that was a great UFA signing:sick:

Tanev was UFA signing.