The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

The only problem I have with Pearson is he's great bang because he kind of rides on Bo's or Miller's wing and racks up a lot of points. He's far less effective on the 3rd line where he belongs. At that point is he better than Hoglander, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, or even Highmore, who are all cheaper, and younger, with more upside, or even Dickinson who we're stuck with? Unless we get rid of all these other options and dedicate 3LW to Pearson I'd move him. 

While I'd say that Hoglander, Podz, and Kuzmenko has more upside, none of them have shown the chemistry that Pearson has towards top forwards.  He isn't the best finisher, but he does the work that other top players are not as good at like winning puck battles, being heavy in the corner, etc.  And on top of that he's got good vision and passing.  He's the number 1 reason Miller had so many points this year.  While Miller was going at just below a PPG pace without Pearson, he absolutely exploded in production with Pearson on his line.  Same with Bo his best production at 5 on 5 all year came with Pearson.  The problem with Pearson is on the rush and finishing.  He's not a good player at developing chances in the transition game, but really excels when the Canucks have possession in the offensive zone (which is why he's so good with a guy like Miller who is like that as well).  If you're able to find specific players with such good chemistry like that, that is 10 times better than just putting the best possible player on every line.  If you're able to get a middle six player to perform at a first line level, you take that and run, you don't try to shove him down on the third line because that's where he's supposed to be.  Just ask the West Coast Express in regards to both Brendan Morrison and Todd Bertuzzi who probably weren't considered top line forwards most of their career.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kuzmenko's agent is on 650 right now, and he just said that a video a Canuck's fan sent to the agent (who then sent it to the player) was important in having Kuzmenko sign here.  Interesting. 

I'm guessing it wasn't the one of the "Fire Benning" plane. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Kuzmenko's agent is on 650 right now, and he just said that a video a Canuck's fan sent to the agent (who then sent it to the player) was important in having Kuzmenko sign here.  Interesting. 

Damn, that fan must have been HOT.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

If we can actually bring some of these solid complimentary guys in while making the appropriate moves to clear cap, add a 3C, get faster, shore up the RD etc. I'm excited for the team next year... Even with the likely Miller move.

It's very important to be deep down the middle. JR and Alvin will try very hard to extend Miller.

EP Miller Horvat down the middle is a huge strength. Need to build up D and add size and speed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

All the news has been around Kuzmenko today, and rightfully so. 

Very exciting news that we finally won a sweepstakes. Seemed at one point that we were losing every NCAA free agent out there, always coming in second place. 

Finally, we've won first place. 

I'm now curious about how well he can play and contribute offensively. Is he a 40 to 50 point player? 

I would be over the moon if he produced 55-60 points in his first year. That would be amazing

Edited by N4ZZY

22 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Honestly, Garland if his value comes close to what we paid to get him. I would sign BB for 4 year. Kid has had ALOT on his mind over the years. He has been pretty damn good numbers wise with all things considered. I want to give him a good chance to see if we can get that 1st year boeser back but more seasoned.. Drive that value sky high aaaand at that point trade him.

4 years would be best for bes. He still has a shot to sign another good deal in his prime at 29yo. We have the chance to drive up his value over the next 2 years and trade him while hes 27 with term still... Which so happens to line up with EP needed a new deal AKA the big money 8 year deal... 

Boes or Garland probably our best shots at trading for a RHD.

I like Brock but his speed is a big factor…

50 points seems like a reasonable goal for Kuzmenko, especially if he gets some decent power play time. Only 5 Canucks had more than 50 points last season so it should net him a spot in the top 6.

God I hope he works out! Seems like a hard-working guy who really wants to play in the NHL and isn't just dipping his toes in the water. I have a good feeling about this. And Podz might flourish with another countryman on the team. I would not be surprised if we snagged another Russian player now as well.

Next season can't come soon enough...

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

He said it too in the video with Don Taylor too, in the link above. 

Apparently, all you can eat sushi was a plus too. J/k 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Boes or Garland probably our best shots at trading for a RHD.

I like Brock but his speed is a big factor…

Imo we need a 1st and 2nd pair RHD. The godsend for huggy, and a really really stable guy for OEL. I think it's worth it to find those guys. A super stable  reliable top 4 along with that franchise goalie could take places alone.

The wildcard may be if someone's willing to give up value for Myers. I don't mind him but already having 15m on 2 guys... having another 6 in Myers PLUS trying to add a godsend RHD is not really feasible 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Imo we need a 1st and 2nd pair RHD. The godsend for huggy, and a really really stable guy for OEL. I think it's worth it to find those guys. A super stable  reliable top 4 along with that franchise goalie could take places alone.

The wildcard may be if someone's willing to give up value for Myers. I don't mind him but already having 15m on 2 guys... having another 6 in Myers PLUS trying to add a godsend RHD is not really feasible 

Would adding Hogs to Myers get us Larson out of Seattle?  He’d be great with either Hughes or OEL.  

• Upvote 1

I'm feeling good about this summer.  

Adding Kuzmenko has potential to offset the loss of Motte. 

Healthy Petey, habituated Garland and OEL, and a full year of Bruce.  100 points, here we come! 

Stanley Cup contenders in two years ;)

9 hours ago, JM_ said:

Miller and Torts.... man that either works or explodes spectacularly. 

It seems with Torts, there is nothing in between.  He is a rigid coach like Green but the main difference is that he is creative enough to win: a cup & a winning record vs nothing but mediocrity with Green.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would adding Hogs to Myers get us Larson out of Seattle?  He’d be great with either Hughes or OEL.  

I don't know how i feel about that. I still don't think that's a worth while route if you look at the trajectory of our team... AKA prime EP, Huggy, Demko.

Really look at those 3 players, We almost never get those type of guys. Let alone all at once. Not to mention they all play the 1 key position. I seriously go very hard at getting a beauty top 4 at all costs. 

The guy i would add that could step in and make a big impact would be ryan polock from long island. Hes 27 however. So not that super young guy but man the stable defensive presence he would bring. 6.15 x 7 left. Just signed it last year lol. Really don't know if they move him, But its a weird roster build over there. I would do a brock for polock. 

Now attempt to finesse a Myers marino deal. I would consider something along the lines of myers + 15 for Marino + 21. All depends if they value him i guess lol

Huggy-Polock

OEL- Marino

xxx-Schenn

25m gets you that top 4. All signed for a years to come so you know what you got. 

This does kind of go against what i'm talking about in the first sentence, But this top 4, Our 3 healthy centers, Demko. plaaaayofffsssss

Gives you a chance to run 3/4 of a season with the improved gang from the last 5 months of last year. If the chemistry still isnt there we can trade miller at the TDL. Win / Win

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I don't know how i feel about that. I still don't think that's a worth while route if you look at the trajectory of our team... AKA prime EP, Huggy, Demko.

Really look at those 3 players, We almost never get those type of guys. Let alone all at once. Not to mention they all play the 1 key position. I seriously go very hard at getting a beauty top 4 at all costs. 

The guy i would add that could step in and make a big impact would be ryan polock from long island. Hes 27 however. So not that super young guy but man the stable defensive presence he would bring. 6.15 x 7 left. Just signed it last year lol. Really don't know if they move him, But its a weird roster build over there. I would do a brock for polock. 

Now attempt to finesse a Myers marino deal. I would consider something along the lines of myers + 15 for Marino + 21. All depends if they value him i guess lol

Huggy-Polock

OEL- Marino

xxx-Schenn

25m gets you that top 4. All signed for a years to come so you know what you got. 

This does kind of go against what i'm talking about in the first sentence, But this top 4, Our 3 healthy centers, Demko. plaaaayofffsssss

Gives you a chance to run 3/4 of a season with the improved gang from the last 5 months of last year. If the chemistry still isnt there we can trade miller at the TDL. Win / Win

How do we get Pulock?  Ya, he’s great, but that would cost us a lot more than Brock, no?