The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Andrei Kuzmenko

Just now, Angry Goose said:

Its important to note this is only for 1 year.  He’ll get lots of opportunity and if he does well Canucks have first crack at him-but his next contract will no doubt lean heavily on $$$

Very true.  And that scenario would be ideal.  Then we can move Boeser (50% retention) at the 2023 TDL for an excellent return.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

One thing to note.

As Alvin and JR continue to show they are capable of making successful moves from positions of weakness (ie moving Hamonic for a 3rd, now signing the most prized non NHL UFA, after a tough season and lots of things still in flux - and lets not underestimate what they just pulled off...its significant given where our team is vs the competition for him)....it sends a STRONG message to the existing players.

They say wow, we have real management here now. And maybe things are going to get a hell of alot better really soon, and I love this city...so maybe taking less money isn't so bad.

What happens when you're at a great company, with great leadership, and you like who you work with, and enjoy your work? Does money become the top priority? No

Money is usually the top priority only for those who are obsessed by it, or who hate where they work and its the only thing keeping them there. Many athletes are the same. Yes some are money obsessed, but many are focused on winning, liking the city they're in and getting paid fairly, but not always to the top dollar.

I do believe, this move is going to send a signal to Bo, Miller and Boeser, that, hey trust in us, take a little less, we're going to build the team around you. But you need to take less so we can.

These are the types of moves that players get excited about, just  as we are, because its sending a signal that management is going to do their job, not just yammer about it.

I suspect Bo, Miller and Boeser are probably thinking a bit differently today than they were yesterday. And if so, kudo's to Alvin and JR.

Thoroughly impressed by what they've achieved already in such a small window of time. It's making me excited and optimistic again to be a Canucks fan!

Famous last words! haha

Can not see Miller being apart of the team going forward. He will have to sign to a short term team friendly contract of 7 mil a year for 3 years or good bye.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Its important to note this is only for 1 year.  He’ll get lots of opportunity and if he does well Canucks have first crack at him-but his next contract will no doubt lean heavily on $$$

Depends....He's coming here for a reason, if it was just to maximize $$ he would have chosen the SOilers because there he's playing with the top 2 offensive players in the world.

He chose the Canucks clearly because he felt better about management, the long term plan, and likely feedback from Podz and maybe even Ovie (about Bruce)...players talk and all know each other.

It's clear money next year wasn't his sole motivator, as again, if it was he certainly wouldn't have chosen us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Can not see Miller being apart of the team going forward. He will have to sign to a short term team friendly contract of 7 mil a year for 3 years or good bye.

Dude...he's signing for 6-7 years at that number, and if its 7 mil the Canucks will have zero issue signing him to that.

• Like 1

Big move by coach and management, how people were talking about swapping Bruce for anyone is beyond me - driving 6 hours for a stab at a player shows how he bleeds blue.

The obvious move is to play him with Podkolzin but if he's not so much a speedy rush player, I wonder if he'd play well with Petey, maybe even Brock.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, BabychStache said:

Woohoo! Hopefully he clicks and gives some more firepower to a third line. Still looking for a 3C with some playmaking ability. 

Petey

Bo

Miller

Seems like those three guys are pretty good, no?  With Kuzmenko we have several very good wingers, so Miller can stay at center and Petey can too.  

Just now, NucknAsia said:

Depends....He's coming here for a reason, if it was just to maximize $$ he would have chosen the SOilers because there he's playing with the top 2 offensive players in the world.

He chose the Canucks clearly because he felt better about management, the long term plan, and likely feedback from Podz and maybe even Ovie (about Bruce)...players talk and all know each other.

It's clear money next year wasn't his sole motivator, as again, if it was he certainly wouldn't have chosen us.

Its first year in the NHL where he was limited to an entry level deal.  

things can easily change after he dips his toe into the NHL

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big move by coach and management, how people were talking about swapping Bruce for anyone is beyond me - driving 6 hours for a stab at a player shows how he bleeds blue.

The obvious move is to play him with Podkolzin but if he's not so much a speedy rush player, I wonder if he'd play well with Petey, maybe even Brock.

He and Podz played together on the same line in Russia. They have chemistry and fed off each other very well. I will be surprised not to see them as wingers on the same line.

• Like 1