The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hate VGK, but it makes sense to deal with them...

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller for (RD) Whitecloud, (C/RW) Roy and 1st (2023)?

Let them sort out if they can afford him, if they want him so bad

Like it. Whitecloud is a right-hand, cost controlled defenceman at a reasonable cap hit for several seasons. Paul is that big, right shooting centre who could bolster the third line. I think Vegas would be reluctant to add a first rounder, but you never know. Maybe if Vancouver added Poolman to the trade? Of all the proposals I have seen, this one seems the most realistic.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

William Karlsson

Nicolas Roy

Zach Whitecloud

2nd Round Pick

To VGK:

JT Miller (50% retained)

Tucker Poolman ($500k retained)

VAN does this as they have a cost controlled 2C in Karlsson at only $5.9 AAV.  Could likely find his sniping ability with a playmaker like Kuzmenko/Garland on his wings.  Nic Roy makes the 3rd line a real nuisance to play against.  A 3rd line of Pearson-Horvat-Roy is a heavy shutdown line that could put up offence too.  Whitecloud is a very solid defensive RHD.  Exactly what we need.  Also get that 2nd round pick (48th OA).

VGK does this as they shed over $4M in cap space.  As Pacioretty's contract expires, they can re-sign Miller next year.  Poolman plays the role that Whitecloud did.

Sign a solid RHD like Lyubushkin as a UFA and we have:

Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Karlsson-Garland

Pearson-Horvat-Roy

Highmore-Lamikko-Dickinson

Hughes-Lyubushkin

OEL-Whitecloud

Rathbone-Schenn

Dermott

Roy is a yes, But not this way

8 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Like it. Whitecloud is a right-hand, cost controlled defenceman at a reasonable cap hit for several seasons. Paul is that big, right shooting centre who could bolster the third line. I think Vegas would be reluctant to add a first rounder, but you never know. Maybe if Vancouver added Poolman to the trade? Of all the proposals I have seen, this one seems the most realistic.

These guys are free or in the late rounds all the time though. The tanevs, Whiteclouds, weegers ect. You just need a system in place that supports that player, Maximizing his potential. We have been a trash team for a long time now. That is not the right environment hence why we always get the guys who look like pure AHL talent.

The tide is changing with abby, Building / Practice facility upgrades... Patience is key. Zero reason to pay a premium while we have soo much wasted cap space and its all coming off the books just as our core star players start reaching prime years.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

William Karlsson

Nicolas Roy

Zach Whitecloud

2nd Round Pick

To VGK:

JT Miller (50% retained)

VAN does this as they have a cost controlled 2C in Karlsson at only $5.9 AAV.  Could likely find his sniping ability with a playmaker like Kuzmenko/Garland on his wings.  Nic Roy makes the 3rd line a real nuisance to play against.  A 3rd line of Pearson-Horvat-Roy is a heavy shutdown line that could put up offence too.  Whitecloud is a very solid defensive RHD.  Exactly what we need.  Also get that 2nd round pick (48th OA).

VGK does this as they shed over $4M in cap space.  As Pacioretty's contract expires, they can re-sign Miller next year.  Poolman plays the role that Whitecloud did.

Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Roy

Hughes-Lyubushkin

OEL-Whitecloud

Rathbone-Schenn

Dermott

Not a good trade..1. Karlsson 29, 6'0, C/W - 5 X 5 million 2. Whitecloud 25, 6'2 RD #4 guy  6yrs X 2.75 million 3. Roy 25 - 6'4 C/W - 39 PTS RFA ? 3 yrs X 3 million?4. 2nd rounder 2022... Salary would be problem retaining 4 million and adding roughly 10 million = 14 million? I don't think new management team want to be extended against cap..

I see Miller trade for very good prospect under 23 RD -- roster player under 25- top 9 forward -- draft pick 2nd rounder...

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller for (RD) Whitecloud, (C/RW) Roy and 1st (2023)?

Let them sort out if they can afford him, if they want him so bad

Yeah if they're crazy enough to trade for Miller then I'm hoping that JR and Allvin milk their lunacy.
Strong, cost controlled RHD, speedy 3rd C and a 1st?  Even without getting a blue-chip prospect back this looks like a very solid deal (pair Zach with either Hughes/ OEL, the other gets the other pairing, then move Myers and hopefully revamp the 3rd pair, and we're looking pretty solid all of a sudden).

• Cheers 1

I'd rather take their 1st over Karlsson tbh, but I like the rest of it, I don't want Karlsson's contract on the books 

Miller to Vegas makes sense, because they'll be able to give him the Patches dollars like you said

It's also somewhere I could see him extending 

Edited by Coconuts

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather take their 1st over Karlsson tbh, but I like the rest of it, I don't want Karlsson's contract on the books 

Miller to Vegas makes sense, because they'll be able to give him the Patches dollars like you said

It's also somewhere I could see him extending 

I hope he goes full Jamie Benn if he extends with a rival.

• Haha 1

Tucker Poolman + Michael Ferland 

for 

William Karlsson + 2nd round pick 

That would make sense for both teams.  Ferland would go on Vegas' LTIR and they would be getting rid of a lot of money.  

We would add a cost controlled 2C and add an extra 900k to our payroll, but would then be free to deal one of Bo or JT for help elsewhere.  

Vegas really likes Nic Roy from what I've read, and they've had a huge deficit of RDs for a couple of years now.  Don't think that they would want to trade Whitecloud, one of their only ones that's cheap at that.  

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

To VAN:

William Karlsson

Nicolas Roy

Zach Whitecloud

2nd Round Pick

To VGK:

JT Miller (50% retained)

Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Roy

Hughes-Lyubushkin

OEL-Whitecloud

Rathbone-Schenn

Dermott

I think Vegas would LOVE to move Karlsson, his production has been in freefall the last few years as he's run into injury problems.

You wouldn't have to retain anything to get Vegas to do a deal that removes him, if he has another season like last, he will be a serious buyout candidate for them next summer. He might even be a buyer candidate for them this summer if they are having doubts about him, would save them about 4 million on cap for next season which they badly need.

I would say that you could even ship them out Ferland's contract as well so they can use the LTIR.

Just as an additional note, I think if you offer sheeted Roy at between 3 - 4 million, 1 year contract with the intention of negotiating a longer term deal for him as soon as eligible, you could probably get him for next year's 2nd round pick, which, based on changes that will be made to this team over the summer, should be in the 45 - 50 range, about 30% of getting an effective player.

31 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Tucker Poolman + Michael Ferland 

for 

William Karlsson + 2nd round pick 

That would make sense for both teams.  Ferland would go on Vegas' LTIR and they would be getting rid of a lot of money.  

We would add a cost controlled 2C and add an extra 900k to our payroll, but would then be free to deal one of Bo or JT for help elsewhere.  

Vegas really likes Nic Roy from what I've read, and they've had a huge deficit of RDs for a couple of years now.  Don't think that they would want to trade Whitecloud, one of their only ones that's cheap at that.  I think Vegas would be pretty happy to move him.

I don't think I'd do that deal. If Karlsson doesn't bounce back, you're very possibly buying him out next summer. He's been having more injury problems and has been generally declining on production for as long as that contract has been running.

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think I'd do that deal. If Karlsson doesn't bounce back, you're very possibly buying him out next summer. He's been having more injury problems and has been generally declining on production for as long as that contract has been running.

Yeah I wouldn't do it either after thinking about it.  You're right about Karlsson, he fell off after getting that deal.