The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Dubois Will Not Re-sign as RFA, Will Enter Market as UFA in 2024

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I would too, but I think WPG needs centres.  They've lost Copp, and losing Dubois as well, they would definitely need a centre.

My thought:

Dubois WANTS to leave the Jets.

Center for Center I’d trade Bo .

do we sweeten ?       Or do they ?

The Jets also hold the 30th overall pick 

ps. Dubois would grow immensely under Boudreau and with Millers mentorship.

Dubois could be that true power forward we’ve needed.

Edited by SilentSam

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

My thought:

I don't think we could afford to have Petey, Dubois, and Miller all making $8M or more within a couple years...

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I don't think we could afford to have Petey, Dubois, and Miller all making $8M or more within a couple years...

It’s one of the reasons I’ve suggested Miller on an 8x , be totally movable after 3 years.

attrition.

This “Forever a Canuck” is something for the heart and not to be “literally” attached to create as a culture.

I think Boeser or Garland is probably gone by then too.

Supplemental Cap attrition should help to keep who we “need” longer,.  Than whom those are emotionally attached too.

Id Rather see Miller Petey Dubois Podz AK 

Bo isn’t a 7m player, but he’s probably going to get close to that, or more,  and Boeser (7.5 QA) to keep , even in the short term of a year,

those scenarios can hurt more.

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s one of the reasons I’ve suggested Miller on an 8x , be totally movable after 3 years.

attrition.

This “Forever a Canuck” is something for the heart and not to be “literally” attached to create as a culture.

I think Boeser or Garland is probably gone by then too.

Supplemental Cap attrition should help to keep who we “need” longer,.  Than whom those are emotionally attached too.

Id Rather see Miller Petey Dubois Podz AK 

Bo isn’t a 7m player, but he’s probably going to get close to that, or more,  and Boeser (7.5 QA) to keep , even in the short term of a year,

those scenarios can hurt more.

I agree with most of what you said, but I'll disagree about Bo.  He's just coming into his prime, and we may have just seen a glimpse of what his prime years will look like (ie. 30 to 35 goal, 60+ points).  That's pretty impressive for a guy that is a faceoff machine with speed and size to spare.  He's a playoff performer too.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I agree with most of what you said, but I'll disagree about Bo.  He's just coming into his prime, and we may have just seen a glimpse of what his prime years will look like (ie. 30 to 35 goal, 60+ points).  That's pretty impressive for a guy that is a faceoff machine with speed and size to spare.  He's a playoff performer too.

Love Bo.  But he’s got to sign an extension with us.  If JR can’t get a fair deal than Bo will get traded.  Same goes for Miller.  If Bo does go I’d be ecstatic with PLD as the return.  

29 minutes ago, HKSR said:

+ raises for QH, Demko, and Podzvechkin when the time comes ;p

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I can agree with you, and appreciate this discussion..   I wonder then if given the similar situations and money involved if a trade for Boeser , plus a sweetener from us might work?

one of Lockwood or Highmore?

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I can agree with you, and appreciate this discussion..   I wonder then if given the similar situations and money involved if a trade for Boeser , plus a sweetener from us might work?

one of Lockwood or Highmore?

I just don't think the Jets need wingers.  After losing Copp and now PLD, they definitely need a centre much more than a winger IMO.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

My thought:

Would Bo extend in Winnipeg though? They're not gonna move Dubois for someone who isn't locked in imo, not given the turnover they've experienced of late.

They have a hard enough time attracting high end talent, they can't afford to mess this one up.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I just don't think the Jets need wingers.  After losing Copp and now PLD, they definitely need a centre much more than a winger IMO.

Here’s the rub tho…not every trade immediately addresses the glaring need. Sometimes teams trade for an asset and then parlay other assets to fill that hole.

it doesn’t have to be as straightforward as discussed here.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PLD had 61 points as a 20 year old.  At 24 he has yet to reach his peak.  He is a better player than Horvat, and in the right situation he could be a 70-80 point player, which puts him at the $8 million level as a power forward.

You will be paying for PLD's future potential, he is not like a 29 year old Miller coming off a career year.  He is more similar to Jack Hughes, who got an 8x8 contract after a 31 point season.

PLD could play wing with Petey or play centre with Petey on the wing.  He would effectively be Miller's direct replacement.

PLD             Pettersson    Boeser

Kuzmenko   Horvat          Podkolzin

Our top 6 is set for the next 7 years.  Problem is we'd have to give up Petey or something similar to actually get PLD.  So we don't really have the assets to acquire him unless we give up a core player.

And who could we trade that'd fit that bill who'd also he willing to extend with Winnipeg?

I don't see Miller going to the Peg, not sure Horvat would wanna live there either. They need center's.

I wouldn't give them Pettersson.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not sure everyone understand the value in a guy who takes the most and wins the most faceoffs In the league..

We all just need to understand he is not the selke center we hope for, But that do not mean he has such little value to us we are unwilling to keep him on a deal in the 6's for 7/8 years. Zero problem, that small percent of money against the cap is not dragging us down in any way. It's the other 50% of the cap that drags us down. 

Whatever the deal is with this fanbase thinking we shouldn't sign the guys who have proven value to us, Yet go out and sign other teams peaking UFAs for slightly less. We don't want quantity, We want quality. We have tried the bring in every other teams failed RFAs and it never works out for us. 

It all comes down to having a zero patience fanbase thats lives in the past and can never look forward lol

• Cheers 1

PLD to Montreal for Suzuki, Montreal runs with a 1-2 on PLD and Wright. Montreal gets a big beefy center with pedigree and upside, Winnipeg brings in a young top six center who's locked in for eight years. Maybe one side adds a bit to get it done. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And who could we trade that'd fit that bill who'd also he willing to extend with Winnipeg?

I don't see Miller going to the Peg, not sure Horvat would wanna live there either. They need center's.

I wouldn't give them Pettersson.

I’d rather go back to Sweden than play in Winnipeg.  :)

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

PLD to Montreal for Suzuki, Montreal runs with a 1-2 on PLD and Wright. Montreal gets a big beefy center with pedigree and upside, Winnipeg brings in a young top six center who's locked in for eight years. Maybe one side adds a bit to get it done. 

Don’t count out Cooley. Some people have him going #1 overall.  And imagine PLD and Slafkovsky on the same line. 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Scoring wise I think PLD and Boeser are pretty close.

PLD’s speed, grit and defensive/2way game are miles ahead.

no slag on Brock at all, he’s had a rough go the last few years and been pretty consistent through it considering the r magnitude, but a guy with PLD’s skill set is far more valuable to this particular club’s need atm. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Here’s the rub tho…not every trade immediately addresses the glaring need. Sometimes teams trade for an asset and then parlay other assets to fill that hole.

it doesn’t have to be as straightforward as discussed here.

So we are assuming they'd take Boeser and convert him into a centre via trade?  A team looking for a winger and has a surplus of centres?

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So we are assuming they'd take Boeser and convert him into a centre via trade?  A team looking for a winger and has a surplus of centres?

No, you’re missing my point. Just because they need C doesn’t mean we have to supply them one. They have some valuable players with contracts expiring soon and could utilize one of them to obtain the C they covet. 
We’re required a top pairing RHD for a while now. And made trades and signings in that time. What is likely (still) our most glaring  need right now…

Edited by RWJC

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No, you’re missing my point. Just because they need C doesn’t mean we have to supply them one. They have some valuable players with contracts expiring soon and could utilize one of them to obtain the C they covet. 
We’re required a top pairing RHD for a while now. And made trades and signings in that time. What is likely (still) our most glaring  need right now…

Not many centres compare to a prime JT Miller.

• Vintage 2