The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

But Tanman was injured at the most important time, in the playoffs. Just hard to escape that shadow.

True. The Canucks are stronger without him as he is reputably oft injured.

I didn’t watch any playoff games this year. My team ain’t in it, I ain’t in it.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, wildcam said:

It's called managing your assets and getting something in rewtrurn for a NHL top 10 goalie? You won't see this happen will Allvin..Never never

Look what they did with Motte? They got something..

Taffoli - same thing look what Montreal got in trade for hime?

Tanev -- Same thing..

These are all top players still in the NHL..

Not a matter of letting a player be happy and walk for nothing? This is sad but its a business...

Good teams make smart move..

Canucks have good smart hockey people running the show now... 

Never never… so… at some point we will see it?

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

True. The Canucks are stronger without him as he is reputable oft injured.

At the end there it was a war of attrition, so many walking wounded. 

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That could explain why he looked like he'd been hanging out at Venice beach all summer :lol:

The season after the back injury he looked like an absolute unit. I think he's been slowly tuning that the last couple years 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

They were losing a goalie that summer in the expansion draft no matter what.  They had to pick between Demko and Markstrom.  It is technically possible they could have traded Demko from a position of massive weakness being under the gun and about to lose him for nothing.  But how were they supposed to get something for Markstrom unless they traded him during the season before the deadline...and pre-Vegas series it really wasn't all that clear that Demko was a reliable goalie of the future.  Once the season was over, Markstrom was a free agent and not going to sign without a NTC.

If you put Allvin in that same situation I don't know if he gets anything.  The expansion draft was a killer.  It was just bad timing.

Agreed I remember watching Demko in the young stars and was more than worried. I remember thinking " this guy is the one who's supposed to better than Scheinder?" 

Before that COVID cup Demko was a big maybe. And no way you trade a #1 goalie when your fighting for the playoffs. 

Also though you have to trade quality to get good picks or assets back.. cash in on a high note so to say. Pick your moments I guess. If you can handle the loss and get more back in the end it's worth it. 

11 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Agreed I remember watching Demko in the young stars and was more than worried. I remember thinking " this guy is the one who's supposed to better than Scheinder?" 

Before that COVID cup Demko was a big maybe. And no way you trade a #1 goalie when your fighting for the playoffs. 

Also though you have to trade quality to get good picks or assets back.. cash in on a high note so to say. Pick your moments I guess. If you can handle the loss and get more back in the end it's worth it. 

Yeah all kinds of trades have happened when payroll needed to be slashed.  Paul Coffey in his prime at least brought back Craig Simpson who ended up leading the league in playoff scoring for the 1990 Oilers Cup.  They had two great goalies as well and gave up Moog in his prime for Ranford who got them that same Cup (and a pick and a young Geoff Courtnall).  The Flames got prospect Jarome Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk when he was still great but the Flames were out of money (up against the cap so to speak in the old days).  And as much as people pretend now that they didn't the Bruins gave up quality in Barry Pederson for a yet to break through but loaded with potential Cam Neely.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

15 hours ago, wildcam said:

what really hurts is losing Markstrom and Tanev, Taffoki for nothing?? That kind of stuff can't happen.. Even if we signed Markstrom and then moved him?

Very very poor asset management previous years..

Love new management team, they will never let someone walk for nothing just look at Motte..

Great job by Allvin signing Boeser 3X 6.6 -- Rathbone 2 yrs X 850,000, Juulson , Lockwood along with coaches busy productive day by management team..

Iirc, the Canucks actually wanted to sign Markstrom but couldn't afford him as they were too close to the cap.  

39 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Iirc, the Canucks actually wanted to sign Markstrom but couldn't afford him as they were too close to the cap.  

No that’s not true. It was the expansion draft. 

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

But Tanman was injured at the most important time, in the playoffs. Just hard to escape that shadow.

Playing with Hughes he barley ever got hit. Think he woulda stayed healthy than before 

I wish we kept him

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Really wow I never worried about him. My only have worry for him were concussions. 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Playing with Hughes he barley ever got hit. Think he woulda stayed healthy than before 

I wish we kept him

He always seems ready to take the hit. And he always seems to bounce right back up. But that style just takes its toll on the body. And shot blocking too. 

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

True. The Canucks are stronger without him as he is reputably oft injured.

You missed some great hockey; the final four were all good teams.

I know where you're at though; regular season I don't watch it if our Nux ain't in it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1