The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brock Boeser

1 minute ago, Mo Grit said:

Yes Spur, but we do have wingers of our own - I'd like to see them given decent opportunity to develop.  Brock's 20 goals from pp and favorable shifts should easily be replaced for a lot less than the 7.5m he's getting next year.  I'm not crapping on Brock per say, just that his money could have gone toward a crease-clearing defender we so desperately need.

Maybe im misunderstanding...where are you getting 7.5 million from?

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brock-boeser

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

He gets that first year, reduces down to average out @ 6.6 per year. 

Makes him more tradeable, apparently.

Earlier in the thread.

ok, thanks...ill back track in the thread to see if I can find it - i just havent seen anything published that shows his salary at 7.5 million next year.

Regarding his cap space and using it somewhere else: I think management made a wise move, or at least a reasonable gamble.  Why let a player like this walk for nothing? Young guy that can get you 20+ goals even during a down year.  If he gets anywhere near 30 goals 60 points the contract is reasonable, and he can be moved for an impact asset in the future.

Rutherford, Allvin and co are seasoned intelligent hockey minds.  They must see something in the kid that makes them think he can get back on track.  Personally, I think hes an underrated passer, sees the ice better, or at least as good, than all but maybe 2 of his team mates...and some of his underlying stats were pretty decent

- led the team in cf% and rel cf%

-third in ff%

-fifth on the team in take aways

-fewer give aways than EP, Horvat, Garland Miller etc.

And this was an 'off' year for him imho.

I think management sees a very good young player - who was in a bad head space last year -worth taking this type of risk on.  Letting him go for nothing would be a mistake.

I agree with your position in the post above where you say the team needs to get bigger and grittier, especially in key positions.  In my mind that makes the 165lb winger in Garland expendable before Boeser.  Garland is on a decent contract, and he could fetch that crease clearing D you describe.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

In signing Brock I sense the first tremble from our new management.

He's a good kid no doubt, and his signing makes the young core (country club) happy for sure.

But he's nowhere near as overall effective as Garland, and we can't carry more than one small forward.

In our desperate need for some size and grit we've missed a huge opportunity to upgrade with Brock's freed up cap.

Who's now gonna create the space for our smaller, skilled guys to operate?

We'll soon see I suppose, how JR has this all planned, but I'd not thought him such a gambler.

So you apparently wanna replace Boeser with wingers of our own right? Which wingers are those, that also fill your size and grit parameters? WIll Lockwood? 5'11, 172. Grit, sure but size? Yeah, no. Podkolzin? Same height, 12 pounds lighter. He's a gamer and I guess you could argue somewhat gritty. But we don't even really know what we have with him. Also he can play either wing so Boeser isn't standing in Podkolzin's way. Who are we replacing Boeser's 20 goals with again? Since it's so easy to do. This guy has developed his game every year since he's joined us. He can pot 20, he's not afraid to forecheck, and he is solid at creating turnovers. Guy has a "down year" and potted 23 goals. It's unreal that we poo-poo this guy for a down year in WHICH HE SCORED 23 FREAKIN' GOALS. There are players that play the top of their game and can't pot 20+ goals.

Besides, you don't cap dump 20+ goal scorers that are just entering their prime for a crease clearing d-man. They aren't exactly super expensive. We should look to move guys like Pearson, Dickinson and Myers well before we just let guys like Boeser walk. Guy is one of the classiest dudes this franchise has ever seen, has very evident chemistry with our Swede prodigy, and has a shot you can't just "replace" like it's nothing. I swear every time I see these Boeser threads I see posts that make me feel like I am on crazy glue. Boeser when he's on his game is a deadly and we are better with him than without.

And for arguments sake I guess I should mention Kuzmenko. But you don't trade a 20 goal scorer adn replace him with an unknown Russian player. Who is a year older than Brock and is probably half the player. I am excited for the guy but that's terrible player management to expect an unknown entity to simply replace what our known quantity can do. He's also smaller and not grittier so again that doesn't fix the issue you think we have in the size and grit department.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, bad alice french said:

This young man has been through so much in his life.

I really feel he is going to turn it on now. He will come through the clouds of grief and mourning better than ever.

Great signing for all . Let's go Brock!

Agreed. This kid has been through so much and he really wants to be here. I really think he’s gonna thrive going forward.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

So you apparently wanna replace Boeser with wingers of our own right? Which wingers are those, that also fill your size and grit parameters? WIll Lockwood? 5'11, 172. Grit, sure but size? Yeah, no. Podkolzin? Same height, 12 pounds lighter. He's a gamer and I guess you could argue somewhat gritty. But we don't even really know what we have with him. Also he can play either wing so Boeser isn't standing in Podkolzin's way. Who are we replacing Boeser's 20 goals with again? Since it's so easy to do. This guy has developed his game every year since he's joined us. He can pot 20, he's not afraid to forecheck, and he is solid at creating turnovers. Guy has a "down year" and potted 23 goals. It's unreal that we poo-poo this guy for a down year in WHICH HE SCORED 23 FREAKIN' GOALS. There are players that play the top of their game and can't pot 20+ goals.

Besides, you don't cap dump 20+ goal scorers that are just entering their prime for a crease clearing d-man. They aren't exactly super expensive. We should look to move guys like Pearson, Dickinson and Myers well before we just let guys like Boeser walk. Guy is one of the classiest dudes this franchise has ever seen, has very evident chemistry with our Swede prodigy, and has a shot you can't just "replace" like it's nothing. I swear every time I see these Boeser threads I see posts that make me feel like I am on crazy glue. Boeser when he's on his game is a deadly and we are better with him than without.

And for arguments sake I guess I should mention Kuzmenko. But you don't trade a 20 goal scorer adn replace him with an unknown Russian player. Who is a year older than Brock and is probably half the player. I am excited for the guy but that's terrible player management to expect an unknown entity to simply replace what our known quantity can do. He's also smaller and not grittier so again that doesn't fix the issue you think we have in the size and grit department.

Is this a joke?  Brock plays smaller and softer than anyone on the team. Podz and even Garland play bigger and with more intensity 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Is this a joke?  Brock plays smaller and softer than anyone on the team. Podz and even Garland play bigger and with more intensity 

Didn’t someone post that Brock is top 10 in the league (higher I think) winning puck battles?  Brock isn’t a power forward.  He’s a scorer.  He’s more Rick Middleton than Cam Neely, but still is an important piece. 

Garland is so easily replaceable.  He’s certainly getting traded.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, combover said:

copied from HF board 
Last two seasons:

Boeser 113GP 39g 55a 94pts
65 even strength points
28 power play points
18:57 TOI/GP
15:02 even strength TOI/GP
3:53 power play TOI/GP

career 324 121 135 256 -11

contract $6.65 million per season 3years 

Listed at 25 6’1 208lb

Fiala 114GP 43g 51a 94pts
62 even strength points
32 power play points
16:03 TOI/GP
13:12 even strength TOI/GP
2:42 power play TOI/GP

Career 419 124 159 283 17

contract $7.875 million average annual value 7 years 

listed at 25 5’10 204lb 

I can see why people are upset we resigned boeser. lol. 

thanks for posting this, its good to see the actual numbers occasionally. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I was here, as a matter of fact I got flamed for torching the kid.

So people were, saying bad things about him.

But you said we don't

but then you said you did.

6lro9c.jpg.402dc16f9a06b023399bd07ce9dcd6a2.jpg

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, combover said:

copied from HF board 
Last two seasons:

Boeser 113GP 39g 55a 94pts
65 even strength points
28 power play points
18:57 TOI/GP
15:02 even strength TOI/GP
3:53 power play TOI/GP

career 324 121 135 256 -11

contract $6.65 million per season 3years 

Listed at 25 6’1 208lb

Fiala 114GP 43g 51a 94pts
62 even strength points
32 power play points
16:03 TOI/GP
13:12 even strength TOI/GP
2:42 power play TOI/GP

Career 419 124 159 283 17

contract $7.875 million average annual value 7 years 

listed at 25 5’10 204lb 

I can see why people are upset we resigned boeser. lol. 

7 hours ago, JM_ said:

thanks for posting this, its good to see the actual numbers occasionally. 

Those numbers are wrong.  

Boeser 127 games - 95pts (0.75ppg) and 46 goals

62 EV points - 26 goals

31 PP points - 19 goals    3:20 PP TOI

18:55 TOI/GP

most common linemates at 5v5 (via Natural Stat Trick):  Miller with 1087 minutes, Pettersson at 687, 447 with Horvat.

48 5v5 points - 20 goals

Fiala 132 games - 125pts  (0.95ppg) and 53 goals 

93 EV points - 41 goals

31 PP points - 11 goals    2:51 PP TOI

17:22 TOI/GP

most common linemates at 5v5:  Freddy Gaudreau 656 minutes and Boldy 495 minutes, Hartman 336 minutes.  

75 5v5 points - 35 goals

Boldy was brought up only this January and already has the 2nd most minutes with him.  Guerin himself points out that Fiala never really had offensive talent on his line or stable linemates before Boldy (and Gaudreau) which makes it harder to find chemistry and produce.  

Boudreau thinks he's going to break out in LA playing finally with a top-6 C. 

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Yes Spur, but we do have wingers of our own - I'd like to see them given decent opportunity to develop.  Brock's 20 goals from pp and favorable shifts should easily be replaced for a lot less than the 7.5m he's getting next year.  I'm not crapping on Brock per say, just that his money could have gone toward a crease-clearing defender we so desperately need.

Lol so if 20 goals on the PP is easily replaced in this league.. then why isn’t the league littered with 20+ goal scorers? Why all the top line players in the league with PP time don’t have 20+ goals? Now that mcdonagh is traded we have the 2nd most expensive defense in the league. So ur solution is to spend another 5mil on the defense? I don’t care how much boeser takes home next year. At the end of the day his cap hit is 6.65 I can care less if he makes 12 mil next season. So I’m not sure what u getting at with your 7.5mil. Ideally your top line winger should have the capability or potential to hit 30+ boeser have that capability garland doesn’t. Boeser is a sniper, vs garland more of a drive net crash and bang garbage goal type guy. Sticking him on the PP doesn’t automatically mean he’s gonna replace all the goals.. he’s not even a shooter type.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mll said:

Those numbers are wrong.  

Boeser 127 games - 95pts (0.75ppg) and 46 goals

62 EV points - 26 goals

31 PP points - 19 goals    3:20 PP TOI

18:55 TOI/GP

most common linemates at 5v5 (via Natural Stat Trick):  Miller with 1087 minutes, Pettersson at 687, 447 with Horvat.

48 5v5 points - 20 goals

Fiala 132 games - 125pts  (0.95ppg) and 53 goals 

93 EV points - 41 goals

31 PP points - 11 goals    2:51 PP TOI

17:22 TOI/GP

most common linemates at 5v5:  Freddy Gaudreau 656 minutes and Boldy 495 minutes, Hartman 336 minutes.  

75 5v5 points - 35 goals

Boldy was brought up only this January and already has the 2nd most minutes with him.  Guerin himself points out that Fiala never really had offensive talent on his line or stable linemates before Boldy (and Gaudreau) which makes it harder to find chemistry and produce.  

Boudreau thinks he's going to break out in LA playing finally with a top-6 C. 

Thank you.  

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol so if 20 goals on the PP is easily replaced in this league.. then why isn’t the league littered with 20+ goal scorers? Why all the top line players in the league with PP time don’t have 20+ goals? Now that mcdonagh is traded we have the 2nd most expensive defense in the league. So ur solution is to spend another 5mil on the defense? I don’t care how much boeser takes home next year. At the end of the day his cap hit is 6.65 I can care less if he makes 12 mil next season. So I’m not sure what u getting at with your 7.5mil. Ideally your top line winger should have the capability or potential to hit 30+ boeser have that capability garland doesn’t. Boeser is a sniper, vs garland more of a drive net crash and bang garbage goal type guy. Sticking him on the PP doesn’t automatically mean he’s gonna replace all the goals.. he’s not even a shooter type.

Garland scored more goal scorer esque goals than boeser did, so this post makes no sense.  Garland shows more skill and can handle and skate with the puck.  We saw boeser skate with the puck and generate a scoring chance maybe at most 3 times all year.  For a 'skill guy' he doesnt have much skill aside fron hanging out in the slot waiting for the perfect pass. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Garland scored more goal scorer esque goals than boeser did, so this post makes no sense.  Garland shows more skill and can handle and skate with the puck.  We saw boeser skate with the puck and generate a scoring chance maybe at most 3 times all year.  For a 'skill guy' he doesnt have much skill aside fron hanging out in the slot waiting for the perfect pass. 

he spends most of his time with the puck looking like a table hockey dude being controlled by a 6 year old, just spinning uselessly back and forth. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1