The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Toronto trying to trade for OTT G Matt Murray, who declined trade to Sabres

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Don't even try to justify. We all know how long it's been with first round exits. Zero excuses imo

* What if we started using the excuse that we never make the playoffs because we lose to teams who make the playoffs.. same crap different angle lmao *

Well we kind of did. Don't know if you remember but during 2010 to 2012 the excuse we were making here is the Canucks are still a very good team because the teams that eliminated the Canucks were all teams that won eventually won the cup :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Goalie Interference said:

Leafs prospect pool is pretty shallow. Rumour is they're scouting summer beer leagues for serviceable players to round out the Marlies lineup.

This happens when you keep trading draft picks so that you have a total of 8 selections over the past two drafts (and none from the 1st round)

Wait till Matthew's walks. They won't have 16m a year to hand him. Nor would he want it in TO I'd bet. Back to the rebuild drawing board. I'm really thinking that when HW takes over as a female GM to try have save PR face for Matthew's walking.

As a vacation place I would love to see Matthew's sign with the yotes. By than Cooley will be going full patty Kane and it will be great

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well we kind of did. Don't know if you remember but during 2010 to 2012 the excuse we were making here is the Canucks are still a very good team because the teams that eliminated the Canucks were all teams that won eventually won the cup :lol:

I'm not gonna lie, Those were my prime drinking years. Along with pretty good canucks success most is a blur so you could be right :lol:

• Haha 1

Matt Murray had success on an amazing Pens team. I think they would be better served to bring back Campbell or go after Kuemper if they truly want to win. Murray is an IR machine since he won those cups with the Pens.

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

That's the lamest excuse ever. The Leafs were always pegged to do some major damage in the playoffs, and they always fall short. In fact, they've been ousted several years in a row. It doesn't matter if those teams end up going to the cup finals - that in itself does not relate to how the Leafs lose in the playoffs, every single year. It's a theme with them, not with other teams.

Well, it makes sure the draft picks they use to rid themselves of the Shanaplan fails aren't high draft picks; so they got that goin' for them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Well we kind of did. Don't know if you remember but during 2010 to 2012 the excuse we were making here is the Canucks are still a very good team because the teams that eliminated the Canucks were all teams that won eventually won the cup 

Well it was true, and went on for more than just the period you mention.

Plus, every time we went to the finals, we lost to the champs.

And, look back, who we lost to in the lower rounds often went on to win The Cup.

Plus, Otto (was it? or Hull?) kicked it in, and if Lapierre (was it?) had hit the crossbar bar-down, and if Hair-Ald hadn't passed it to Bossy, gotta run, dins ready.

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Well it was true, and went on for more than just the period you mention.

Plus, every time we went to the finals, we lost to the champs.

And, look back, who we lost to in the lower rounds often went on to win The Cup.

Plus, Otto (was it? or Hull?) kicked it in, and if Lapierre (was it?) had hit the crossbar bar-down, and if Hair-Ald hadn't passed it to Bossy, gotta run, dins ready.

How did you manage to quote me on something I didn't even say!?:lol:

That was the other posters comment :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well, the Canucks are not real losers because we lost to teams that eventually won the cup. This is such a sad, sad perspective...

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Well, the Canucks are not real losers because we lost to teams that eventually won the cup. This is such a sad, sad perspective...

We don't really have another perspective on it.

As Bert said, "It is what it is."  (Though in his case it was a total railroad job.)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Leafs have a good team.  Clearly, though, they need to have equal to (or better than) goaltending as their opponents to win a series.  Not sure if this is a guy who does that for them.  If Hellyabuck is available, that’s a guy who might be more what they need.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Leafs have a good team.  Clearly, though, they need to have equal to (or better than) goaltending as their opponents to win a series.  Not sure if this is a guy who does that for them.  If Hellyabuck is available, that’s a guy who might be more what they need.  

Winnipeg is in win now mode so seems unlikely that they would part with Hellebuyck.

They are looking into Murray because they are not many options available.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

Leafs have few other options at this point.  Murray rightfully gets a lot of flak on these boards but the guy did backstop the Penguins to two cups and was actually starting to play really well with Ottawa just before his injury.  If Murray can stay healthy, then he could be decent for the Leafs.  Not any less expensive than Campbell will probably be, but for a lesser term.  They're going to need to sign a few more goalies though as they generally seem to go down their depth chart a lot and Murray's already not exactly known for his health.

I am absolutely not sold on Murray. He single handedly lost multiple series for the Pens, and was garbage for Ottawa.

He's a victim of the scouting report. As soon as teams figured out his weakness (high glove), he was being picked apart.

I could see him having regular season success with the Leafs, but when it comes time for playoffs I could see him choking. 

I don't like knocking guys down and I know he's had injury struggles, but I think his best days are behind him. I knew immediately when he signed with Ottawa that that was going to be regrettable contract. I seriously wish him the best, but from a business standpoint I think this is a desperate move from Dubas. Slim pickings right now I'm the goalie market. 

Of course if Toronto gets Murray the media will blow so much smoke up his @$$.

Just now, Honourable Hughes said:

I don’t think he is the solution. I’m not sure what assets would be involved but I think a push for Gibson would better, and he is likely to waive his NTC/NMC.

His agent said otherwise.