The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) CGY Gaudreau seeking 10mill+ per year on new deal

RWJC

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t see Gaudreau wanting to play for Torts. He’s not a Torts player. 

True, but it’s not like Sutter is a sweetheart either and JG just had his best season under him. 

all I can say is I won’t be too shocked if he does end up with PHI first thing tomorrow morn.

They’re shopping JVR and just ditched a few RFA’s too to make roster space for someone…

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

True, but it’s not like Sutter is a sweetheart either and JG just had his best season under him. 

all I can say is I won’t be too shocked if he does end up with PHI first thing tomorrow morn.

They’re shopping JVR and just ditched a few RFA’s too to make roster space for someone…

What if Philly was the mystery team in on Miller all along and not the Islanders.

Philly has some good pieces I wouldn’t mind.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Seasons played is great and all, but the fact of the matter is Bo is 2 years younger. The NHL calls it a series win so it is what it is. My point isn't just to say that Gaudreau is a loser, sure he's won as much as Bo, but at the end of the day, he's the leader of a team that's been trying to contend for 8 years. Bo has been the foundational block of a rebuild. We're pathetic as is, our 2016-2019 is abysmal. But it's not calgary-esque and Gaudreau is the main guy to point the finger at. 

Been following this discussion back and forth. Pitting Bo against Little Johnny is only slightly less dumb than putting Bo against JT, as some do. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Been following this discussion back and forth. Pitting Bo against Little Johnny is only slightly less dumb than putting Bo against JT, as some do. 

Johnny's failures in Calgary are more pathetic than Bo's in Vancouver. It's that simple, when all things are considered

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Makar and Hughes are not in the same league, not really even close

They're really not, Makar is arguably top 5 in the league right now, if not top 3. Many would say #1 but there's argument for guys like Hedman and Josi. 

After the season Makar just had he's left Hughes in the dust, which isn't a slight against Hughes in the slightest. One could argue Makar plays with a superior team, and this is true, but if you watched the Avs this season it was clear that Makar was the offensive engine. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They're really not, Makar is arguably top 5 in the league right now, if not top 3. Many would say #1 but there's argument for guys like Hedman and Josi. 

After the season Makar just had he's left Hughes in the dust, which isn't a slight against Hughes in the slightest. One could argue Makar plays with a superior team, and this is true, but if you watched the Avs this season it was clear that Makar was the offensive engine. 

It gets me really down on how true this is. We're never gonna win a damn thing. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Makar's top 3, soon to be #1 for years to come.  Hughes will be top 10 for years to come... And maybe as high as top 5 in his prime.  Very happy to say that... No comparisons to Makar, not fair to Hughes, we are very fortunate that Yzerman's only mistake since he's been GM of the Red Wings was taking Zadina the 2018 draft... 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Makar's top 3, soon to be #1 for years to come.  Hughes will be top 10 for years to come... And maybe as high as top 5 in his prime.  Very happy to say that... No comparisons to Makar, not fair to Hughes, we are very fortunate that Yzerman's only mistake since he's been GM of the Red Wings was taking Zadina the 2018 draft... 

They also swung and missed at 30th overall (Joe Veleno), 33rd (Jonatan Berggren), 36th (Jared McIsaac), then 3 more times in the 3rd round, etc, etc... 

2 x 1st round picks 

2 x 2nd round picks 

3x 3rd round picks 

4th 

6th 

7th 

Exceptionally bad draft for them. 

43 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They also swung and missed at 30th overall (Joe Veleno), 33rd (Jonatan Berggren), 36th (Jared McIsaac), then 3 more times in the 3rd round, etc, etc... 

2 x 1st round picks 

2 x 2nd round picks 

3x 3rd round picks 

4th 

6th 

7th 

Exceptionally bad draft for them. 

Thanks for that!  I guess that proves even the considered best gms in the league aren't perfect.  Anyway glad they $&!# the bed one pick before us.  Not that zadina isn't good, I think he may have a break out year this coming season.  Just Hughes was the bpa for sure.

Sounds like he's heading to NJD for 9M which sets the bar for Miller. Big drama for Calgary, I don't see how they can be competitive if they lose Gaudreau and a lot of their depth all in one off-season. Surely they'll re-sign Tkachuk now. Talk about losing assets for nothing, the Canucks better not let Miller walk the way Gaudreau is.

New Jersey is going to come up very quickly now. They've done the Avalanche model of tanking, storing high picks and if they sign Gaudreau they'll be a fringe playoff team. Once Luke Hughes hits his prime they'll be contending.

They have 26M in cap space so after Gaudreau, just 17M and still need to sign a lot of guys but should be able to squeeze their depth in. Gaudreau and Hughes on the same line would be fun to watch but they need some size up front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Zadina was picked under Holland.  He was drafted in 2018 while Yzerman was named in April 2019.  

Yzerman's 1st pick was Seider.  He also doesn't draft and trusts his scouts - says he would just be interfering and says it would be akin to him throwing darts blindfolded.

• Thanks 1

Well... I guess... I kinda don't have all the facts hey?!  Lol!  Now that you mention it, I knew Yzerman was still under Holland at that point.  Just forgot... That means stevie Y's still perfect!!!  As for him not drafting, I knew he didn't make the picks himself BUT hired his scouts I assume?  Regardless, under his watch, he's been very good at stocking the prospect cupboards.  Thanks for the reminder.

Great post.  I think that was the Wings head coach Blashil at the time he was Hughes national team coach with team usa.  He had coached Quinn at world's. I think his input must have made  Wings pass. Otherwise a local Michigan kid with Quinns skills would have been a no Brainer for the Wings. His size is a big issue. He's a one dimensional player. 

McDavid tried to walk around Makar and got shut down with Makar skating backwards. The kid is special. 

Like you said we got lucky. 

But there is no comparison with Makar.

That kid is top 3 NHL player not just D.

Besides McDavid no NHL team would trade Makar for any other player.  

The kid won Norris Conn Smythe and the Cup at 23 yrs age. As good as McKinnon is Makar drove the Avs to the Cup.

Amazing player. Not fair for any other player to be compared to him. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 3

Friedman on the potential destinations for Gaudreau:

All eyes are on New Jersey and Philadelphia for Gaudreau. The Flyers have indicated James van Riemsdyk will not be traded, because they are not willing to pay what it will cost to move the cap hit. One source indicated it was similar to what Toronto sent Carolina — a first-round draft pick — for the Hurricanes to take Patrick Marleau in 2019. And teams prefer Philadelphia’s 2023 pick, not the Florida 2024 selection acquired for Claude Giroux.

Assuming the Flyers stick to that philosophy, it’s hard to see a path for Gaudreau — barring another major move. If they’re in, they’re slow-playing this hand. They’re also believed to have interest in Dylan Strome.

New Jersey was the name on many lips Tuesday night. I’d be surprised if it was the Islanders. Let’s see what Wednesday brings. 

Y picked Seider as his 1st pick.  He's a beast. On his way to being elite as soon as DET comes out of thus rebuild. 

And Y picked that sweedish kid. Last year. The big kid on D. He's LD. Seider is RD . They can double shift them together when needed and on separate pairs regular shift. They'll have 2 great pairings with each on a top 4 pair..the kid is going to be another stud. 

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Y picked Seider as his 1st pick.  He's a beast. On his way to being elite as soon as DET comes out of thus rebuild. 

And Y picked that sweedish kid. Last year. The big kid on D. He's LD. Seider is RD . They can double shift them together when needed and on separate pairs regular shift. They'll have 2 great pairings with each on a top 4 pair..the kid is going to be another stud. 

Yah Seider will end up being just behind Makar soon enough (2-3 yrs).  There's a new golden age of defencemen just starting.... Hughes is one of them (lower end but there). Exciting times in NHL.  

• Cheers 2