The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Dakota Joshua

On 7/17/2022 at 12:47 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

This makes me nervous but it looks like we're going into the season with Lazar, Dickinson and Joshua as our bottom 6 centers.

Obviously this isn't a problem if we run Miller, Petey and Bo on 3 scoring lines but I think we'll see Dickinson start as 3C, Lazar start as 4C and Joshua either as a 4th line winger or the press box to start. He had decent stats in limited time last year so you never know, Joshua has potential to break out.

We really lack a solid 15-17 minute 40 point 3C but in all fairness we have the potential to have 6 centers in our lineup to start the season so it's just distributed a bit differently, very top and bottom heavy.

I was hoping for a defensive center like Tierney to take some shutdown pressure off Bo so he can score a bit more but maybe Lazar will do that job. I have high hopes for Lazar, low expectations for Dickinson (who will probably be a winger all season because he sucks at center) and who knows with Joshua, he's a wildcard but could be a very pleasant surprise if scouting serves us well.

Summer's not over yet. Still time to sign/trade for guys.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

According to the most recent news we’ve heard, Poolman will be healthy and ready to go for the season. 

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I highly doubt they bury Dickinson. NHL clubs don't operate like that. He's 27 and an established NHLer with 300 games under his belt in the middle of a three year deal.

@Hairy Kneel

That is one scenario that would actually stop players from signing in Van. One tough year in that sh!t show season and a support player gets dumped. Not a good look if you're signing guys like Joshua, and/or especially a guy like Lazar to a three year deal. I'd be hesitant knowing the Canucks might dump me because their management is too dumb to understand how cap works.

Edited by Gawdzukes

52 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd be hesitant knowing the Canucks might dump me because their management is too dumb to understand how cap works.

This is a completely different management group than the one who traded for and signed Dickinson.

That being said I don't think they bury him, he had 3 productive seasons before last year's performance, new team, new system and then another new system. I expect him to bounce back next season. Hopefully get 20-25 points and play a stellar defensive game to help Bo out.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I highly doubt they bury Dickinson. NHL clubs don't operate like that. He's 27 and an established NHLer with 300 games under his belt in the middle of a three year deal.

@Hairy Kneel

That is one scenario that would actually stop players from signing in Van. One tough year in that sh!t show season and a support player gets dumped. Not a good look if you're signing guys like Joshua, and/or especially a guy like Lazar to a three year deal. I'd be hesitant knowing the Canucks might dump me because their management is too dumb to understand how cap works.

I agree that they probably won't bury Dickenson.  But they could temporarily paper him down at the beginning of the season as part of becoming cap compliant, then immediately bring him up.  If someone claims him on waivers, so much the better.  But management does need to do anything possible to bank cap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I think this big, fast, hard hitting 6'6", 222 lbs 23 year old Russian- Alexei Toropchenko- replaced Dakota Joshua on the St. Louis Blues.   

His father Leo, who played in the AHL in the 1990s, passed away at age 48 years old just before Alexei came over to play for the Guelph Storm in the OHL.  This is a story where you want this kid to reach his goal of playing in the NHL and have a good career.

https://theathletic.com/3189939/2022/03/24/who-is-alexei-toropchenko-the-step-by-step-path-of-the-blues-prospect-and-why-st-louis-is-lucky-to-have-him/

Wowie

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So he thinks he'll maybe displace one of Garland, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Podkolzin, Mikheyev, Pearson, or Hoglander. Pretty high praise. In my eyes, he's more of a major upgrade on Alex Chiasson as a 13th forward, but ya never know I guess. Here's hoping for more of this :

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

So he thinks he'll maybe displace one of Garland, Kuzmenko, Boeser, Podkolzin, Mikheyev, Pearson, or Hoglander. Pretty high praise. In my eyes, he's more of a major upgrade on Alex Chiasson as a 13th forward, but ya never know I guess. Here's hoping for more of this :

I have a feeling Pearson and Hogs might be traded.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I really want to see Joshua in the lineup this year. Good faceoff percentage, throws a ton of hits, solid corsi numbers and managed 8 points in 30 games in the NHL last year despite only averaging 8:30 minutes of ice time per game. 

Lockwood-Dakota-Mik

Edited by UFCanuck

On 7/13/2022 at 10:21 AM, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Not to be confused with male entertainer Joshua Dakota :P

Google hey? Lmao! 19,347,021 returns in 2.3 seconds... 10 mil hits on Dakota, 10 mil hits on Joshua and an additional 1000 or so CDC hits somewhere in there.

I'm a bit confused as there's people saying he's ahl material but JR mentioned he'd be in the line-up because of his D game, size, skating, and PK. 

Ummmm... Hard to say as there's going to be a lot of push for spots in camp, and with his intangibles a 4th line spot is his to lose.

Sutter probably won't be back this season, if at all, I hope it's not a lifetime issue but I doubt he's back in shape and will need a recovery time and lots of it, to even think about starting to work out on a reg basis. Reading that article was saddening. 

Ummm.. yeah from what I heard on JR's interview question about Dakota, he's in by the sounds of it and we need his size too.

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dickinson had a whole season to show something. They kept moving him around the line to try to get him going. There is no way he's an established player. He doesn't hit, can't score, and disappears in traffic. He's going to show more of the same. Waive and bury him. Put a young guy in there with a high motor and high compete level. 

Naw

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dickinson had a whole season to show something. They kept moving him around the line to try to get him going. There is no way he's an established player. He doesn't hit, can't score, and disappears in traffic. He's going to show more of the same. Waive and bury him. Put a young guy in there with a high motor and high compete level. 

I agree on the idea 100% I just think there is about 1% chance they would actually do that.

• Cheers 1