The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Penguins trade John Marino to Devils for Ty Smith, 2023 3rd-round pick

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Severson is a Western Canadian kid, who played for the Kelowna Rockets. He might be interested in a long-term deal in Vancouver, playing with Hughes and OEL. More so than sharing minutes with Hamilton in New Jersey. Could see something brewing there, if Jersey was willing to add enough.

mukhamidullan.

5 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I've posted about Severson just not as obsessively as Marino cuz I really thought that was gonna happen

Severson is younger than Miller - and management is stating they're fine to re-sign Miller. Canucks would be getting a younger piece back in a position they need much more badly plus a pick most likely. I think Severson fits the mold for what Rutherford is looking for very well (which I tend to agree with), but not the mold that you're hoping for.

Exactly!  Trading Miller for Severson and Sharangovic is what JR has been talking about.  He wants to get younger and improve our D.  He accomplishes both.  We might need to add Dickinson and a pick/prospect to balance the exchange of cap.

Miller + Dickinson + Dipietro for Severson + Sharangovic 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If you like Marino it’s not a great look signing Mikhayev for more the cap space that could have covered his contract.  He was dealt for a bargain so you wouldn’t even need Miller for that.

Hopefully JR/PA know what they’re doing here avoiding Marino. 

Shouldn't we all be asking why the Pens traded RHD Marino for a LHD? They already have Brian Dumoulin, Mike Matheson, Marcus Pettersson and Pierre-Olivier Joseph. Are they really high on Ty Smith?

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Marchand.

Naslund.

Sedin.

Sedin 

Bertuzzi.

Ya, a few

Marchand is close to a PPG average for his career, so that doesn't quite fit.  Take a look at when Naslund and Bertuzzi hit or were near 100 points, what their next several years looked like.  An 8.5M contract becomes an anchor if they follow their trajectory.  Sedins are as unique as they come.  Not comparing to them.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly!  Trading Miller for Severson and Sharangovic is what JR has been talking about.  He wants to get younger and improve our D.  He accomplishes both.  We might need to add Dickinson and a pick/prospect to balance the exchange of cap.

Miller + Dickinson + Dipietro for Severson + Sharangovic 

I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

14 minutes ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

I've posted about Severson just not as obsessively as Marino cuz I really thought that was gonna happen

Severson is younger than Miller - and management is stating they're fine to re-sign Miller. Canucks would be getting a younger piece back in a position they need much more badly plus a pick most likely. I think Severson fits the mold for what Rutherford is looking for very well (which I tend to agree with), but not the mold that you're hoping for.

Good teams don’t build by acquiring players that are due for big pay raises.

We need cost controlled players which Rutherford also stated. Why would we just kick the can down the road and run into cap troubles again next offseason?

None if it lines up with what he claims they need to do.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because he just entered his prime and did not have the same opportunities previously in his career.

Also our team was significantly worse and had poor coaching.

Not too hard to figure why his numbers improved.

Vast majority of nhl players are at 90% of their peak at 24 yrs.

Forwards are at their prime at 27 to 28 years age.

That is exactly Miller's age last season. He peaked and hit prime exactly when he was supposed to...

That's according to a UBC study.

https://news.ubc.ca/2014/05/15/nhl-study/#:~:text=Twenty-five-year-old,forwards%2C new UBC research finds.

I found it kinda funny I was working at UBC the week ths study came out and I heard about it on SN650 while I was at UBC. So I remembered it and Googled to find. 

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Shouldn't we all be asking why the Pens traded RHD Marino for a LHD? They already have Brian Dumoulin, Mike Matheson, Marcus Pettersson and Pierre-Olivier Joseph. Are they really high on Ty Smith?

It honestly looks like a cap dump.  Friedman saying they’re looking to pick up Petry.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

Cap dump

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't Mikheyev 28 in 3 months?

Forward vs D. 

D men break down sooner because of the nature of their position. Also Severson is going to be looking for a deal that takes him until he’s 34-35.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It already happened.

Is there a cap hit for an extended Severson you would be okay with? I was thinking a 6yr deal would take him to 34yrs old, so not too old if we look at OEL. A for the 6yr deal I would want the cap hit at or under 6m but not sure if that would be likely. He might want to test FA next summer for all we know

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Is there a cap hit for an extended Severson you would be okay with? I was thinking a 6yr deal would take him to 34yrs old, so not too old if we look at OEL. A for the 6yr deal I would want the cap hit at or under 6m but not sure if that would be likely. He might want to test FA next summer for all we know

Based on Guddy getting 4 mil good luck.

Hes going to be asking for 7-8 mil because that’s the market value for 50 point D men.

We absolutely cannot afford to add another 7+ million dollar D man. Hughes is our big ticket D. You build around him with cheaper defensive D men and ELC players.

Edited by DeNiro

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

28 in three weeks…

He’ll be 28 when it matters which is the start of next season.

And 29 when he starts the 1st year of his +++$ and +++ long term contract.

As apposed to trading Hogs + 3rd for Marino($4.4x5yr)

and acquiring UFA Lyubuskin($2.5x2yr) or Miller($1.85x2yr)

Just sayin'...

This is pretty simple really.  New Jersey and Severson are not close on an extension.  Marino was available for not a huge price.  So they swung the deal.  Marino isn't going to be playing on the 3rd pairing this year.  One of Severson or Hamilton has to go.  Obviously it is going to be Severson.  He played in Kelowna for 4 years, so this is his second home really.  He would love to come back I am sure.

We need Severson as much as New Jersey needs Miller.  This trade is so obvious even Maggie the Monekey could make it.  JR could still be sleeping and someone can make this trade for him.

The question is how much more can we get from the Devils?  

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Forward vs D. 

D men break down sooner because of the nature of their position. Also Severson is going to be looking for a deal that takes him until he’s 34-35.

That's not true.  There are lots of Dmen who play at a top level well into their mid to late 30's...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not true.  There are lots of Dmen who play at a top level well into their mid to late 30's...

And there are a lot more forwards that do…

Safer bet to pay a forward longer than a D man.

And playing “well” is great, you need to hope they play at a high level for that long if you’re paying them 7-8 mil.

36 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Marchand is close to a PPG average for his career, so that doesn't quite fit.  Take a look at when Naslund and Bertuzzi hit or were near 100 points, what their next several years looked like.  An 8.5M contract becomes an anchor if they follow their trajectory.  Sedins are as unique as they come.  Not comparing to them.

You asked.

I answered.  Numerous examples across the league over the last 15 years