The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Calgary files Arbitration with Tkachuk

I don't get this at all - even if it makes it through arbitration - won't it still be a 1 year and he can walk next year anyways?  

Or, do the Flames get compensation from whichever teams signs him?  If yes - will it be much more than a draft pick?

Just now, Heretic said:

I don't get this at all - even if it makes it through arbitration - won't it still be a 1 year and he can walk next year anyways?  

Or, do the Flames get compensation from whichever teams signs him?  If yes - will it be much more than a draft pick?

nope no compensation when he walks as a UFA in a year. I mean other than not having to look at him anymore. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Imagine if Calgary and Vancouver did a Tkachuck for Miller and Garland. 

Reaction?

I'd rather just overpay Miller. I like Tkachuk. But we're trading one "potentially" overpaid player who can play wing and center and a good 20 goal guy for one overpaid player that can only play wing. They'd have to send a 1st rounder back as well, at a minimum. Garland isn't a cap dump. Dude is legit. Miller and Tkachuk have borderline equal value. That's only if you really value Tkachuk's game. Miller can play wing and center and is a play driver. I'd send em Myers and Pearson for Tkachuk. Other than that, let them enjoy watching him leave in free agency for nothing.

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

They just had one of their best seasons in franchise history and now their core players are jumping ship Hahaha! something must be rotten inside that locker room, I love it.

I hope they get an underwhelming return when they trade the rat, we don’t want the fLames to go on a full rebuild.

Yeah, the Jolly Rancher sure sets a positive emotional tone inside that room.  But hey, they can't claim they didn't know what they were getting with him, so they've made their bed and now they can lie in it.  This is going to be a bigger train wreck than what happens to those poor horses in their check wagon races. 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Calgary files Arbitration with Tkachuk
18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

nope no compensation when he walks as a UFA in a year. I mean other than not having to look at him anymore. 

So, the Flames are just pissing him off then.   

Like I have said before, the players run the league, not Bettman, not the owners, not the GMs.  

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So, the Flames are just pissing him off then.   

yeah pretty much. I think it was a mistake for Treviling to limit an offer sheet, not sure he's going to get 2 1sts, a 2nd and 3rd back in trade value. 

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Like I have said before, the players run the league, not Bettman, not the owners, not the GMs.  

yeah the stars do have a lot of say. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Arbitration starts on the 27th.  His qualifying offer of 9M was open for him to sign till 22 July - now that they've filed he can't sign it.  They've bought some time to try and orchestrate a trade where he can then sign long term with his new team.

No way they can afford to lose Tkachuk too unless they get a top line winger back, prospect and 1st.

Losing 2 100pt players in one off season would drop them to well out of the playoffs next year and a crash rebuild. Lindholm was good but is a 60 point player without Gaudreau feeding him. The rest are middle 6 forwards at best.

Even without Johnny, Tkachuk is an 80pt player next year.

IN a potential trade I think Tkachuk holds all the power.  No team is going to give up grade A assets if they cant sign him.  Opening him up to contract talks with various teams will basically allow him to pick and choose where he wants to go.  This really hinders the lames IMHO.