The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Tkachuk trade in the works

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

He’s going to the Rangers. They have all the assets to get a deal done.

Florida could get it done as well, SR doesn't have any trade clauses. Duchene to Cowgary would be funny if Nashville wanted to go that way. 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Calgary will get a good deal for Tkachuk. Especially a team that wants to contend. Heard that NJ was offering a huge package for Tkachuk. 

I do feel bad for the Flames. They lost Gaudreau, and now Tkachuk, who is also a star player, does not want to play for Calgary long term. Is the issue Canadian teams and markets, or is the issue simply just Calgary? Ottawa doesn’t seem to have any issues with signing their Tkachuk. I think it’s the Flames organization. Something is not right in Flames land that two of their superstar players don’t want to be there. I wonder what the issues could be. Is it facilities? Is it the weather? I mean, Buffalo and Minnesota are just as cold, so I cannot see weather being the issue. 

Makes me wonder if Matthews is going to eventually walk as well when his current deal is up. Does he walk to a larger market like the Rangers, or does he go back home to Arizona? I wouldn’t be surprised if he too, left via free agency. 

I think part of the issue for all Canadian teams has to do with the pandemic. For a time period, it was incredibly hard to connect with family in the other side of the border. And there's no guarantee it won't happen again. All other things being equal, I could see players with lots of American family more inclined to want to be on a US-based team than before.

As for a Calgary-specific reason, the rink is terrible. Even the stuff the average fan might not even see, the nuts and bolts underneath, are just so far below the standards of the rest of the league. If you've ever worked at a dump of a place, you probably have noticed an effect on you. That said, there is nothing specifically wrong with Calgary. Our own players left Vancouver to sign with the Flames. And last year the team had a great season, I doubt the players have any issue playing for Sutter - his tactics may wear on them if they stop winning so much, but for now how could they argue with the results?

I think this all has to do with an individual. Gaudreau himself got put through the ringer in his last contract negotiation. Added to everything else - the border, the rink, the lack of team success, etc. - there were persistent rumours that he'd leave to return to an Eastern-based US team in free agency. I think that was his plan all along, but last year went so well for the team that he really considered staying, and the team also offered more than anyone else to keep him. But in the end, it was just better for him personally to leave. Now Tkachuk sees the team isn't good enough for him to win, and decides he would rather not deal with the border or rink either. He wants to go somewhere better for him personally, that probably also gives him a better shot at a cup. Had Gaudreau stayed though, he probably would have too.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It would involve a chain reaction and the Rags making some significant changes to accommodate a Tkachuk trade. Salary is likely why JTM to NYR is still a stronger short term possibility. From a NYR blogger:

I think everyone would love Tkachuk, why would you not. But as Brooks notes, and we all know, freeing up the requisite cap space and making a deal to get Tkachuk would look to be an impossible challenge. Proposals of having Jacob Trouba waive his NMC to go to Detroit, for example, clearing $8 mil of space and Artemi Panarin doing the same to reunite with Ryan Strome in Anaheim and move his $11.64 million sound great in theory. In practice, not so much.

The Blueshirts have seven players carrying cap hits of at least $5 million per. Five of them have no-move clauses through at least 2023-24. They would be Trouba (2023-24), Chris Kreider (2023-24), Vincent Trocheck (2024-25), Panarin (2025-26) and Mika Zibanejad (2029-30). The other two are Igor Shesterkin and Adam Fox 

Let's say you move Trouba and Panarin. Who are you trading to get Tkachuk? Is Kaako Kaapo, Filip Chytil, Nils Lundqvist and a first enough? Swap in Brendan Othmann maybe?  Let's say they get Tkachuk, did you also forget that he may want similar dollars to Panarin? Who then are you using next to K'Andre Miller on your first d-pairing or opposite Ryan Lindgren if Adam Fox moves up? How are you replacing Chytil and Kakko if both move, unless you get Evan Rodrigues plus another forward cheap? Too many moving pieces and impediments to acquiring Tkachuk, despite us knowing how valuable an add and asset he would be.

Edited by RWJC

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Rats win cups, Our angels in the community tactic turns us into the most passive team. Aka No identity imo

True in the 90’s but today…? I dubno about that. And I fo feel like teans have identity without ”rats”.

Cooke was a good depth guy for years before that inner rat came out to play.

I sometimes wonder what kinda talk there would have been on the net if it were possible, back when we had Odjick and Brashear.  They were tough, not ”rats” but in general. What would have been said way back when. They were just tough guys end of story. Now, as all things are disected and analyzed to the max with everything under the scope.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

It would involve a chain reaction and the Rags making some significant changes to accommodate a Tkachuk trade. Salary is likely why JTM to NYR is still a stronger short term possibility. From a NYR blogger:

I think everyone would love Tkachuk, why would you not. But as Brooks notes, and we all know, freeing up the requisite cap space and making a deal to get Tkachuk would look to be an impossible challenge. Proposals of having Jacob Trouba waive his NMC to go to Detroit, for example, clearing $8 mil of space and Artemi Panarin doing the same to reunite with Ryan Strome in Anaheim and move his $11.64 million sound great in theory. In practice, not so much.

The Blueshirts have seven players carrying cap hits of at least $5 million per. Five of them have no-move clauses through at least 2023-24. They would be Trouba (2023-24), Chris Kreider (2023-24), Vincent Trocheck (2024-25), Panarin (2025-26) and Mika Zibanejad (2029-30). The other two are Igor Shesterkin and Adam Fox 

Let's say you move Trouba and Panarin. Who are you trading to get Tkachuk? Is Kaako Kaapo, Filip Chytil, Nils Lundqvist and a first enough? Swap in Brendan Othmann maybe?  Let's say they get Tkachuk, did you also forget that he may want similar dollars to Panarin? Who then are you using next to K'Andre Miller on your first d-pairing or opposite Ryan Lindgren if Adam Fox moves up? How are you replacing Chytil and Kakko if both move, unless you get Evan Rodrigues plus another forward cheap? Too many moving pieces and impediments to acquiring Tkachuk, despite us knowing how valuable an add and asset he would be.

I'd love if the rags gave up the offer the Canucks turned down for miller and Calgary took it

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

True in the 90’s but today…? I dubno about that. And I fo feel like teans have identity without ”rats”.

Cooke was a good depth guy for years before that inner rat came out to play.

I sometimes wonder what kinda talk there would have been on the net if it were possible, back when we had Odjick and Brashear.  They were tough, not ”rats” but in general. What would have been said way back when. They were just tough guys end of story. Now, as all things are disected and analyzed to the max with everything under the scope.

We don't need head shot guys, But we need 2 to 3 guys who can atleast come into the lineup when the tough get tougher come playoff time  imo

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We don't need head shot guys, But we need 2 to 3 guys who can atleast come into the lineup when the tough get tougher come playoff time  imo

Agreed.  Joshua is a great start and sign that management know this too.  Nice to have a heavy on the roster and doubly nice he can play a regular shift.  Now we just need an agitator and Lockwood could be it.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Agreed.  Joshua is a great start and sign that management know this too.  Nice to have a heavy on the roster and doubly nice he can play a regular shift.  Now we just need an agitator and Lockwood could be it.  

Lockwood is great for the role, just hope he can withstand the abuse because he is a bit slight 

7 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Rats win cups, Our angels in the community tactic turns us into the most passive team. Aka No identity imo

Then be a Boston fan.... I don't want rat players or rat fans.  That's the way you used to win cups... As a matter of fact... Boston was the last teams filled with goons and rats to win the cup.  I want a team more modeled after the Blues.  Hard to play against, no quit, gritty, with skill, tons of character and will beat you by working harder and the right way.  You can keep your Boston model thanks.

Edited by Hogs & Podz

35 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Then be a Boston fan.... I don't want rat players or rat fans.  That's the way you used to win cups... As a matter of fact... Boston was the last teams filled with goons and rats to win the cup.  I want a team more modeled after the Blues.  Hard to play against, no quit, gritty, with skill, tons of character and will beat you by working harder and the right way.  You can keep your Boston model thanks.

Problem is we arent built that way for now.  We are a finesse team that relies on hockey IQ and talent over grit, hustle and determination. I would love for us to become more like the Blues, but chances are we won’t, especially with Allvin and Sedins in mgmt roles. 

As such, we definitely need to roster a few determined agitators to balance the quality of players we do have.

you look at most recent Stanley Cup Champs and there are a few guys on those teams that play right on the line.

Kucherov, Kadri, Landeskog…all examples of tenacious, top 6 players. (Kucherov alone is considered amongst the top 15 dirtiest players in the league by many).

that doesn’t even factor in the role players on the 3rd and 4th lines who are aggressive yet responsible.

we don’t have any of that in our top 6 at the moment, and we certainly are lacking that in our 3rd/4ths as well, for now anyway. Hopefully Joshua can maintain a spot on the 4th and his presence translates into solid PK and turnover work.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Problem is we arent built that way for now.  We are a finesse team that relies on hockey IQ and talent over grit, hustle and determination. I would love for us to become more like the Blues, but chances are we won’t, especially with Allvin and Sedins in mgmt roles. 

As such, we definitely need to roster a few determined agitators to balance the quality of players we do have.

you look at most recent Stanley Cup Champs and there are a few guys on those teams that play right on the line.

Kucherov, Kadri, Landeskog…all examples of tenacious, top 6 players. (Kucherov alone is considered amongst the top 15 dirtiest players in the league by many).

that doesn’t even factor in the role players on the 3rd and 4th lines who are aggressive yet responsible.

we don’t have any of that in our top 6 at the moment, and we certainly are lacking that in our 3rd/4ths as well, for now anyway. Hopefully Joshua can maintain a spot on the 4th and his presence translates into solid PK and turnover work.

yes Joshua, Lazar, and Lockwood are a start.  Not dirty... Maybe on the edge?  But definitely hard to play against.  I agree we need are are starting to get players that play a tougher, grittier brand of hockey... And we may need a couple more.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Hogs & Podz said:

yes Joshua, Lazar, and Lockwood are a start.  Not dirty... Maybe on the edge?  But definitely hard to play against.  U agree we need are are starting to get players that play a tougher, grittier brand of hockey... And we may need a couple more.

Yeah forgot about Lazar. Curious to see how he embraces his role with the team. 

• Upvote 1

Jersey makes a lot of sense, they could part with the pieces Calgary is asking for. Something along the lines of Bratt, 1st, and a premium prospect. Though it might take more if the Flames aren't sold on Bratt as a top forward. 

Aren't the Tkachuk brothers also friends with the Hughes brothers? 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Tkachuk is a unicorn. A superstar power forward..

Teams should be lining up to trade for hom but he holds the cards..

NHL needs to fight hard next CBA to get UFA age to 30 yrs..

I see the players wiping out a season before the NHLPA ever agrees to that. It takes too many dollars out of their pockets long term. Especially now that guys are getting big contracts younger and younger. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

More likely is in bargaining the players get to UFA a year sooner and the owner’s get max term on player contracts reduced to 6 years. 

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

That's not how life works. You don't get to tell other people who enjoy an openly public thing to " Find another one " because YOU want it a certain way... lol 

Kinda sounds like a freedumb fighter 

thing to say :unsure:

32 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yikes 30! 

In my mind, 3 year ELC should be followed by a 3 year bridge deal. After that you still have the player under 1 more year of club control where you can choose any deal.. The 3 year bridge contracts have a bracketed pay scale that can be negotiated but only within a certain range. Why? RFAs ruin the market. Damn near zero incentive for UFA status when kids can get paid just as much and somehow demand trades / kwok block gms from getting good value while being a restricted free agent. RESTRICTED. All it does its make the older vets pissed the kids are making as much without having to prove much... So they ask for these crazy 8x10s ect that age soo poorly.

Example: Average 10g10a over elc years. Your able to sign a max of 2m for 3 years, But no lower than 1x1 sort of deal. Dollar amount would have a cap at say 7m. But accurately adjusts as the cap goes up. None of this crap we see now where the cap goes up 1m, Yet the player thinks HIS pay scales by double that.

Tons and tons of details to iron out, Its not much different than right now. Gets plays to ufa at 27 ect.. Just keeps the kids and agents from ruining the market imo.

• Cheers 1