The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Tkachuk trade in the works

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bobby “My contract sucks” Lou. 

I got it but had to check since I thought the discussion was about Americans signing in Canada. And I recall the beautiful saves he made playing for Team USA in the olympics back in 2010. ::D

Edited by Spoosh
Typo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I’m sure once arbitration sets a 1 year deal a trade will quickly follow. Calgary will probably want players in return that help them win now. 

I think the idea is to trade him before that so the new team can work out an 8 year deal, I think the new team wouldn’t feel entirely comfortable trading for him knowing he can now walk to ufa.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

I think the idea is to trade him before that so the new team can work out an 8 year deal, I think the new team wouldn’t feel entirely comfortable trading for him knowing he can now walk to ufa.

That grey area of tampering with another teams player .

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't agree with this particular statement.

And I almost always agree with your posts? One of my favorite posters.

Kesler also had to honor his contract. Think of that word...

Just like the team has to observe deals. Players walking around pouting & having their agent stir $&!#?  It was widely reported Keslers agent was calling Benning, cussing, swearing demanding.  Got surgery in September, not June the summer prior. So he was out 1/2 the year instead of 1 month.  As much as he bust his butt as a player? Rumours are he was hard on relationships in the room.  Walking around like a prick. That's not honor!

Then still giving a list of two teams?  Ask for a trade; IMO also come to the party and loosen the team list.  

Cheers Surfer...likewise. 

I think my point is, when they negotiate a MMC or NTC its mostly at cost to the player either in pay or in contract length. 

When the team then starts to change direction, we almost expect the player to do us a favour a suddenly dump his NMC or NMT  to help out the club. 
I'm a fan as well and hope they can get something good out in any case, but also understand we have to accept the players not always being prepared to drop everything for us. 
I totally agree Kessler was not playing by book neither, and I haven't totally forgiven him, although him coming up at the Sedins jersey retirement softened my stance a little. Especially seeing how positive Juice was to him. 
As I said the train had clearly left at that time, so I understand, he wanted out. 
I also think in hindsight, it suited the club getting something for Kessler, but of course had Kessler played ball the return would likely had been better. 

Kesler behaving like a pertulant child was not ok though in any shape or form. He should have asked for a trade (to either of the two teams) and played on like a professional, without the garbage he pulled. 

If you have a NTC, you are entitled to say you'd like to be traded to only two team, but if the club says no, you carry on as a professional until the end of your contract, just like if the club tells you they'd like to trade you, and you say no, the club and fans should respect that as well...

or at least thats how I see it amigo. :rolleyes: sorry for blabbing on...

On a side note my other passion is United... have just been through a similar thing with Pogba the snake... talk about stirring up sh1te...

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.   On the flip side, a player should honour their contracts ... the team doesn't need to make a trade even if they publicly ask for one.   Duchene in COL waited for a year, Sakic had no obligation to trade him, was heavily scrutinized for months prior, but eventually found a partner, and in those circumstances did have the entire league to choose from.    JB could have waited Kesler out longer if he choose too as well, maybe the list would have gotten bigger hard to say.    I do like it when players pursue a cup and have zero issue with that, it's a little too bad Bieksa, Burrows and Hansen didn't follow suit while their value was sky high still   .... but eventually all 3 where fine with moving on.   MG backed himself into a corner. knew he needed to rebuild or re-tool ... but had no means to do it, self induced. 

No I agree... 

Just said the same to Surfer. 
Both parties can say the would like a trade to be done, and as in Kesslers case to only two teams. But should the other party feel it doesn't suit them and doesn't accept the proposal, bith parties should carry on honoring the contract signed, without throwing the toy out of the pram... Kessler seemingly was a d1ck in the dressing room and causing trouble,!and that is of course not ok... 

My initial point was basically that we as fans have to respect players not to accept a trade just to suit the club, if they signed the NTC. 

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol 7x7 to get Myers.. so um who offered remotely close to 7x7 for Myers? Obviously no one. More like agents are floating numbers out there to get more for their client.. 

also going back to my previous quote.. Myers grew up in Canada and holds a Canadian citizenship.. he literally have no roots in US despite being born there and he represents Canada on the national team.. so he doesn’t even fit the American player signing during his prime on a Canadian team.. other than being in us soil when born.. he’s pretty much a Canadian 

That fair enough. What I reacted to was the overpayment part. It can be discussed with hindsight, but at the time, he was the most sort after Free agent RHD, and it was widely reported that he would likely cost 7x7...

And it was considered good business by Benning getting him at 6M instead. 
Nothing personal Wai lai. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Wait until Connor and Boeser hit UFA status and see if they will stay with their current club. Kesler never hit the open market, but he did request a trade out of Canada, because he wanted to be on a contender, and only chose two American teams on his wishlist. Miller wanted to be out closer to the West and apparently we were the only team that was interested. 

Yup

Kesler did ask for a trade, but the Canucks needed a rebuild by then. The right move was to move Kesler, so its not like he screwed the team over. The return was also decent. If we had McCann today losing Miller wouldnt be an issue

Oh and speaking of Americans and character issues how about McCann and Hodgson and how entitled they were while being on the Canucks

Character issues and players putting their interest before the teams interests is human, not American

As for Conner and Boeser if they decide to go to UFA and move to a new team they are absolutely allowed to do this, thats what UFA is. But id put money on the table that Conner gets traded before that happens and if Boeser doesnt look like he deserves the contract he got this year he will likely get traded

Players get traded vs players asking for a trade or saying they wont be resigning with the team that has their rights. There seems to be this excitement around trades that us fans eat up. But what about players wanting to be moved, when there is news of this its usually taken with huge criticism of the player. Both the manager and the player sign the contract both have their rights, but its expected that only the manager can use the rights in the contract and the player is just a pawn

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Kesler agreed to a NTC when he signed that contract, in which he didn’t have a clause that allowed him to submit a list of teams he can’t be dealt to. If a player request a trade and he doesn’t have that clause. Then, the team should have the rights to trade him to whichever team they choose to. Loyalty means nothing in the sports world.

I think Benning being a new GM, didn’t want to strain any relationship amongst his peers. So, he caved in and allowed Kesler to choose where he wanted to play, even when he didn’t have any power to veto a trade to certain teams. 

Point is any player can request a trade to any team the like. Its just up to the GM to say no, and that should be the end of the story. Just like team can suggest to the player, that he be traded, but if he is unwilling to waive his NMC that should also be the end of it. 
Behaving like a d1ck was/is never ok... and like everyone else I was really angry with Kessler...

In hindsight it was probably a good thing as it hastened the thought of needing a rebuild... Maybe Benning should have played hard ball with Kessler, and would have gotten a better return, but thats speculation. 
I some what can understand Benning just giving in to Kessler as having a rotten apple in the cart helps nobody. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I say Myers is American born, but Canadian raised. He feels more canadian than he does American. 

Schmidt hasn’t even played in Canada that long. Same with Colman. The longest serving one on that list that you’ve provided is Kesler. But he was on a contending team for a number of years with the Canucks. We’ll see what happens with Brock. But I can see him remaining with the team as long as the club can pay him and retain him for his services. 

Schmidt and coleman are just examples of Americans who were UFA and signed in Canada

though now im thinking Schmidt might still be on his deal he signed with vegas

10 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I wonder if Sutter being the coach plays a part in these decisions to leave. He's an old school coach - maybe Johnny and Matt don't like his style?

I think its safer to assume that with Goudreau not returning Tkatchuk sees that there could be a retool/rebuild coming that he doesnt want to be a part of, or that he is going to be the building block the team will use moving forward and wants as much as he is worth

I think the Sens were smart in making Brady the C of their young, rebuilding team.  He will likely take the

leadership role seriously, which will encourage loyalty and commitment to his team and teammates.  They

signed him to decent contract for 7 years, which will bring him to 28yrs old when he becomes a UFA.

If the Sens have the cap space available at that time (and if the team is doing well), I wouldn't be surprised

if Brady signs again.

I'm not saying that the Flames should have done this, as the situation there is different.  Imo, Brady's

personality has much better leadership qualities than his big bro ever will.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think the Sens were smart in making Brady the C of their young, rebuilding team.  He will likely take the

leadership role seriously, which will encourage loyalty and commitment to his team and teammates.  They

signed him to decent contract for 7 years, which will bring him to 28yrs old when he becomes a UFA.

If the Sens have the cap space available at that time (and if the team is doing well), I wouldn't be surprised

if Brady signs again.

I'm not saying that the Flames should have done this, as the situation there is different.  Imo, Brady's

personality has much better leadership qualities than his big bro ever will.

Brady is a hell of a hockey player. Man, I wish he was a Canuck.