The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Tkachuk trade in the works

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I wouldn't take that for Miller.  However, Miller can be traded to virtually any American team whereas Tkachuk is going to be like little Johnny and only go to a few teams.  I would say only Ottawa and St. Louis are on his list.  Both teams can probably wait for the summer as they are not contenders.  With Miller he will probably sign an extension with the team that trades for him.

So basically Tkachuk's trade value isn't that high.  I don't think any team trades for him now unless they have an extension in place...

there are little evidence to suggest miller will prolly sign an extension with the team that trades for him. chances are he'd prolly prefer to be traded out east or signs with a team closer to PA if he leaves vancouver.. no one knows what Miller is thinking.. Any team that will be interested in trading for MT will be asking for permission to talk to his agent first... unless MT comes out and say i'll only sign with St.Louis or Ottawa.. i'm sure there'd be lots of interested team and will talk to their agent first to see if he would be willing to re-sign.. trading for calgary makes more sense then waiting him out in UFA as he would be able to re-sign with calgary for 8 years in a sign and trade, which would also be good in driving down the AAV

I wonder if this going to cause Canadian teams to think twice before picking an American player. It seems it's common that they don't wanna play here. I forgot which player but I remember one saying in an interview that Vancouver is often the only Canadian team that won't be on players' no-trade list because it's close to the border and the weather is decent.

Feel bad for Calgary honestly. While it's nice to see a rival lose it's kinda telling how things can go for anyone, including us. It's going to be interesting to see how Matthews plays out in Toronto.

28 minutes ago, luongianone said:

I wonder if this going to cause Canadian teams to think twice before picking an American player. It seems it's common that they don't wanna play here. I forgot which player but I remember one saying in an interview that Vancouver is often the only Canadian team that won't be on players' no-trade list because it's close to the border and the weather is decent.

Feel bad for Calgary honestly. While it's nice to see a rival lose it's kinda telling how things can go for anyone, including us. It's going to be interesting to see how Matthews plays out in Toronto.

This is an outlier 

heres a few americans who have played for a while and signed FA contracts in canada

Boeser

Myers

Kesler

Ryan Millar

Kyle Conner

Blake Wheeler

Nate Schmidt

Blake Colman

I could go on and on

9 minutes ago, Wanless said:

This is an outlier 

heres a few americans who have played for a while and signed FA contracts in canada

Boeser

Myers

Kesler

Ryan Millar

Kyle Conner

Blake Wheeler

Nate Schmidt

Blake Colman

I could go on and on

Myers is Canadian, just born in Texas. But you’re right not All Americans want the same thing lol

• Vintage 1

Truth is, Tkachuk, Gudreau, and Monahan all have serious character flaws.  To many poor attitudes on the same team.  I'm kind sad because I knew they'd never win with these guys.  Now, if he's traded... No when he's traded, fLames will get a kings ransome in return (hope not!!!!).  

You know, during the 16' draft, when it was the nucks pick... I figured we'd pick Tkachuk... He was consensus bpa, when that didn't happen, I figured that Linden stepped in to make sure we didn't take him, due to the fact that he's his father's son... All about himself, not a team player.  Linden was looking for character guys... (Unfortunately Juolevi was not high character either)  the nucks felt Matthew wasn't one of them.  If this was the case, nucks management was right... But I doubt they expected MT to become as dominate as he's become.  Picking Juolevi didn't help either... Makes you wonder, if we had picked him, would he have done the same to us?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

This is an outlier 

Boeser

Myers

Kesler

Ryan Millar

Kyle Conner

Blake Wheeler

Nate Schmidt

Blake Colman

I could go on and on

Wait until Connor and Boeser hit UFA status and see if they will stay with their current club. Kesler never hit the open market, but he did request a trade out of Canada, because he wanted to be on a contender, and only chose two American teams on his wishlist. Miller wanted to be out closer to the West and apparently we were the only team that was interested. 

Edited by shiznak

5 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:Players have their rights re: Gaudreau's decision to leave Calgary. But nobody else has a problem with what is happening? Nobody should potentially be losing two star players this way. 

Its red flags that a player is going to arbitration and their response publicly is that they must be on the outs. Like we can't work through arbitration? Like just maybe teams can use the system to stop from overpaying or a player could understand its a negotiation.

Its pure crap how so many of these individuals act.

Nope… don’t have a problem with it.

It is already kind of BS that billion dollar for profit companies get to own and control an 18 year old’s right to decide when and where they earn a living for most of their career.

This isn’t like soccer where teams spend millions developing kids in academy systems and need some corresponding control to recoup those costs.  NHL clubs just get free gift wrapped

teenagers to own.

That wouldn’t fly in virtually any other work setting.

Getting upset that players can eventually take advantage of being able to decide where and who they want to work for seems silly.

If you can’t convince someone to keep working for you after you have owned them for 6-7 years… that is on you and not the player.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, luongianone said:

I can see Matthews remaining in Toronto. Toronto feels like a large enough city, and big city life, that he could like to live there for the rest of his career. Although, being able to “come home” to Arizona. Might be too much of a pull to come home. 

I mean, Brock’s American, and he seems to love it here in Vancouver. And the weather excuse, I can’t really see that as something American born players don’t want to be a part of. Buffalo? Minnesota? Like those two cities have brutal winters just as much as Calgary and Winnipeg. 

2 hours ago, Spoosh said:

If this happens, the next one to go has to be / should be Markström.

I know we dont have a lot of Leafs or Oilers fans here but imagine how good one of those would be with Marky in net.

Man, if Toronto lands Markström, I think they win the cup. 

3 hours ago, Wanless said:

This is an outlier 

Boeser

Myers

Kesler

Ryan Millar

Kyle Conner

Blake Wheeler

Nate Schmidt

Blake Colman

I could go on and on

I say Myers is American born, but Canadian raised. He feels more canadian than he does American. 

Schmidt hasn’t even played in Canada that long. Same with Colman. The longest serving one on that list that you’ve provided is Kesler. But he was on a contending team for a number of years with the Canucks. We’ll see what happens with Brock. But I can see him remaining with the team as long as the club can pay him and retain him for his services. 

3 hours ago, Wanless said:

This is an outlier 

Boeser

Myers

Kesler

Ryan Millar

Kyle Conner

Blake Wheeler

Nate Schmidt

Blake Colman

I could go on and on

Not many in the elite catergory. Ryan miller signed at the tail end of his career here.. kesler bolted as soon as the team trended downward. 
when did Nate Schmidt sign in Canada??

connor case is probably different.. he had 2 season under his belt when he signed the massive 50mil contract.. hard to say no to a 50mil contract when u ain’t really established in the nhl.. 7mil x7 was a massive gamble at the time for a 60 point guy. 

Myer we over paid over term to get him here..

point is most American especially the elites would rather pick American city over Canada. That’s fact. Unless u want to over pay or give too much terms then ya u can prolly get a few to come here. 

your list basically the only one that would be in the elite category is wheeler and Kesler that fit the criteria signed here while in their prime

unless u gamble on an American kid with a massive long term contract.. most that approached ufa from rfa ended up leaving and if u lock them up early. They still have 1 more chance at a massive contract at the end around 28/29 years old and prolly ends up leaving. 

there really ain’t that many great American players on Canadian teams in their prime in the past 20 years

kesler

wheeler

byf

connor

foglino

kessel

heck before Johnny and MT the best American on the flames is like David moss

Edited by wai_lai416

4 hours ago, Wanless said:

This is an outlier 

Boeser

Myers

Kesler

Ryan Millar

Kyle Conner

Blake Wheeler

Nate Schmidt

Blake Colman

I could go on and on

And Lu..who pretty much signed til' retirement..just the bs in between had him wanting out.

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Its red flags that a player is going to arbitration and their response publicly is that they must be on the outs. Like we can't work through arbitration? Like just maybe teams can use the system to stop from overpaying or a player could understand its a negotiation.

Its pure crap how so many of these individuals act.

FWIW?

Having met his dad, who did this to the Jets when it might mean the team would leave Winnipeg? Or the stars, others did including Selanne, could buy in for a year or so. Keith Tkachuk played hardball. Its in the family blood! I never would have touched Matthew.  

Calgary will get a great return though.  My bets are Chicago or Columbus. 

• Vintage 2