The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Flames trade Matthew Tkachuk, conditional 2025 4th-round pick to Panthers for Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Cole Schwindt, conditional 2025 1st-round pick

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

For Matthew Tkachuk, 20 games of Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot, the Florida Panthers traded:

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- Former Top 10 pick (Owen Tippett)
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects

giphy (11).gif

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Fantastic return.

Hubby replaces JG production. Weegar is a underratted any situation d-man. Calgary on paper will be very competitve next season. Great return for the Flames.

Unfortunately, this is a trade that the Canucks have never really had the balls to do. We have always kept our players because we love them too much, rather than get a good return. Matthew Tkachuk was worth a lot, but there were rumours that he wasn't going to re-sign. Miller should have been traded for a king's ransom.

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

For Matthew Tkachuk, 20 games of Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot, the Florida Panthers traded:

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- Former Top 10 pick (Owen Tippett)
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects

Mortgage everything! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I have no idea how Tkachuk got that haul. That seems like an unfathomable overpay by the Panthers. I guess pending UFAs aren't worth that much with a full year left? Would not bode well for Miller's value.

Maybe there were multiple teams and a bidding war occurred and FLA wanted the shiny unicorn?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Why does it feel like it has been a while since we have made a massive impact trade such as this one. I guess we don’t h e the assets but even trading Miller seems impossible. Then another team makes a massive trade. It’s all this stupid maxed to the cap that really screws is over. Maxed to the cap and no where close to a cup contender. Maybe something will be done.

People were so ready to move on from Benning, without properly assessing the entirety of the situation. I'm talking about the bias. Once again, we love a player so much that we box ourselves into the corner because of cap space, without knowing when to let go of an asset when it's at the highest peak.

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Unfortunately, this is a trade that the Canucks have never really had the balls to do. We have always kept our players because we love them too much, rather than get a good return. Matthew Tkachuk was worth a lot, but there were rumours that he wasn't going to re-sign. Miller should have been traded for a king's ransom.

The difference here is Miller will be 30 when an extension kicks in. Tkachuk is 24, this deal will be finished when he's 32, still in his prime, or just finishing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

People were so ready to move on from Benning, without properly assessing the entirety of the situation. I'm talking about the bias. Once again, we love a player so much that we box ourselves into the corner because of cap space, without knowing when to let go of an asset when it's at the highest peak.

Who is we? The fans?  Don't care about that.  The new management will do what's best for the team. The good deal just hasn't been there.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Wonder if is playoff related? I know Huberdeau was almost invisible for the panthers.

Probably playing hurt because the year before last when they played TB in the 1st round, Hubby was dominant!

26 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay? But are you saying this for the sake of being doom and gloom? Remember also that Calgary lost both Tkachuk AND Gaudreau and Calgary's defense was already good. There's going to be diminishing returns on how good their defense can become at some point.

I guess I just don't see the point in worrying about this. It's just not worth the ulcer. Let's have a good team 1st before we start worrying about our rivals. ;)

It shows what pending UFA’s are worth