The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

On 2/1/2023 at 3:47 AM, HighOnHockey said:

All sounds good except Hughes and Sandin-Pellikka does not sound like a defense to build a winning team around. Reinbacher would be ideal but at this point I'm not sure he makes it out of the top ten. If he keeps moving up the rankings as he is, you might need to use the Canucks' own pick on him.

What we desperately need is a high quality D- man that that plays D first and foremost.

That hits, block shots, has the hockey IQ to use his stick to block passing lanes, clear the crease. 

Put him on the ice when the opposing team has their best line on and is the catalyst that shuts them down.

If he has a good first pass that is icing on the cake.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:47 AM, HighOnHockey said:

All sounds good except Hughes and Sandin-Pellikka does not sound like a defense to build a winning team around. Reinbacher would be ideal but at this point I'm not sure he makes it out of the top ten. If he keeps moving up the rankings as he is, you might need to use the Canucks' own pick on him.

There’s really no clear consensus on the dmen from the sounds of it lots of discrepancy for who’s even going to be taken first from one of the Russian dmen, to Pelikka to Reinbacher.

hard to compare them all even.

But if we took Pelikka 13-16 I’d be pretty excited.

I think you could have a winning defence with them if Pelikka hit. He’s not as undersized as a Quinn Hughes too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I honestly can’t imagine Dragicevic going late in this draft either. With so few D let alone RHD, where he has size and clear offensive capabilities I just don’t see it happening even if there’s some big things to work on and shore up defensively. 

If we took him with our NYI pick I wouldn’t be surprised and if he goes a lot higher than where he’s ranked now I wouldn’t  be shocked. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/1/2023 at 3:47 AM, HighOnHockey said:

What dyu mean?   :huh:

Having Girard and Makar as twin PMD's. One from each side of the ice, a lefty & a righty has not hurt Colorado a stitch.   Granted you still need some 6'3'' guys. Speed and puck composure are always in demand. Pellikka looks pretty fundamentally sound also, Moreso than Hughes at same age, where similarly not physically imposing.  

If the BPA happens to be another PMD; you simply cannot ignore the Force...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What dyu mean?   :huh:

Having Girard and Makar as twin PMD's. One from each side of the ice, a lefty & a righty has not hurt Colorado a stitch.   Granted you still need some 6'3'' guys. Speed and puck composure are always in demand. Pellikka looks pretty fundamentally sound also, Moreso than Hughes at same age, where similarly not physically imposing.  

If the BPA happens to be another PMD; you simply cannot ignore the Force...

Sure, of course. I just don't think Sandin-Pellikka is quite as good as others do.

interesting that 10 scouts from six NHL teams made all the way to switzerland to see David Reinbacher (RHD) play. To be more specific we talk about the Vancouver Canucks. Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals, Columbus Blue Jackets, Winnipeg Jets and Ottawa Senators. For Ottawa Trent Mann, Assistent of the General Manager was in Langnau, a small town with less than 10,000 residents and Steve Bowman represented the Washington Capitals. Report is saying that Reinbacher is drawing a lot of interest from NHL teams, because he plays in all situations against men in his draft year. Switzerland's NLA league is one of the best leagues in Europe. In my opinion only the swedish SHL, the finnish Liiga are ahead of the quality of hockey (faster hockey with more skill). Debatable if the German DEL is better than the swiss NLA - I see both leagues on the same level.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, R3aL said:

I honestly can’t imagine Dragicevic going late in this draft either. With so few D let alone RHD, where he has size and clear offensive capabilities I just don’t see it happening even if there’s some big things to work on and shore up defensively. 

If we took him with our NYI pick I wouldn’t be surprised and if he goes a lot higher than where he’s ranked now I wouldn’t  be shocked. 

I doubt there would be an overdraft. I just have a feeling that dragicevic and reinbacher are dropping to the early second like chesly did last year.

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Is it a given that the Canucks take a center with their pick (center heavy draft) and a defenceman with the NYI? 

or is their a potential to draft 2 forwards? 

If the Canucks end up with a top 5 pick, they could land a fantastic C.  There's also a chance

that Michkov(RW) could fall to them, which would be a no-brainer to grab. Luckily they have

Raty coming along, so they don't have to pick a C (unless his name is Bedard).

They may be in the position to draft Reinbacher (RD) with the Islander pick. My preference would be

the Canucks trade down and pick up Simashev(RD) (depending on where they think he'll rank; they may want

to take him anyway, as is he trending upward with each new mock draft).

"Tall rugged defender with a high panic point and solid defensive tools and acumen. Advances pucks quickly, and when he doesn't he has excellent footwork to skate it out himself. Very rugged along the wall, pinning and sealing his check there. Has good passing skills and effectively clears his zone with quick outlet passes. Plays with a steady pace and is already tall and strong. Played a support role in the 2022 World Junior U-20, but when Nemdec was injured was the top defenseman. (The tourney that was cancelled mid-flight due to Covid-19.) A complete package of skating ability, skill set, and size."  --Bill Płaczek--  

Sounds like a heavy duty Tanev:towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

interesting that 10 scouts from six NHL teams made all the way to switzerland to see David Reinbacher (RHD) play. To be more specific we talk about the Vancouver Canucks. Boston Bruins, Washington Capitals, Columbus Blue Jackets, Winnipeg Jets and Ottawa Senators. For Ottawa Trent Mann, Assistent of the General Manager was in Langnau, a small town with less than 10,000 residents and Steve Bowman represented the Washington Capitals. Report is saying that Reinbacher is drawing a lot of interest from NHL teams, because he plays in all situations against men in his draft year. Switzerland's NLA league is one of the best leagues in Europe. In my opinion only the swedish SHL, the finnish Liiga are ahead of the quality of hockey (faster hockey with more skill). Debatable if the German DEL is better than the swiss NLA - I see both leagues on the same level.

So does simashev and in a vastly superior league in the khl. After having seen him play lots, you are looking at a 4 year window to fix him where he is ready.  If you are gonna get, then trade down to 23 and pick up an extra asset.

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I hope they don’t get too hung up on drafting a D man if we have the 13 or later pick unless they’re the clear BPA.

This team still needs to beef up its center depth. Losing Bo left a massive hole there and there are no guarantees Raty will pan out.

But also if a really good winger drops take ‘em! We need more talent everywhere in the system.

That being said I really hope we can somehow get another late first and draft Dragicevic. I think we’d be kicking ourselves if we passed on another local kid that brings everything we need.

As much as I hate not taking best player available I hope they avoid any small wingers other than Michkov.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If the Canucks end up with a top 5 pick, they could land a fantastic C.  There's also a chance

that Michkov(RW) could fall to them, which would be a no-brainer to grab. Luckily they have

They may be in the position to draft Reinbacher (RD) with the Islander pick. My preference would be

the Canucks trade down and pick up Simashev(RD) (depending on where they think he'll rank; they may want

"Tall rugged defender with a high panic point and solid defensive tools and acumen. Advances pucks quickly, and when he doesn't he has excellent footwork to skate it out himself. Very rugged along the wall, pinning and sealing his check there. Has good passing skills and effectively clears his zone with quick outlet passes. Plays with a steady pace and is already tall and strong. Played a support role in the 2022 World Junior U-20, but when Nemdec was injured was the top defenseman. (The tourney that was cancelled mid-flight due to Covid-19.) A complete package of skating ability, skill set, and size."  --Bill Płaczek--  

Do think he has more offensive upside then tanev

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

What we desperately need is a high quality D- man that that plays D first and foremost.

That hits, block shots, has the hockey IQ to use his stick to block passing lanes, clear the crease. 

Put him on the ice when the opposing team has their best line on and is the catalyst that shuts them down.

If he has a good first pass that is icing on the cake.

Thank you... there's much talk about points and great going forward etc. 

We are generally scoring for fin, and where did that leave us?

we need a Dman that can defend properly.. and hopefully big and mean enough to hurt people. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Is it a given that the Canucks take a center with their pick (center heavy draft) and a defenceman with the NYI? 

or is their a potential to draft 2 forwards? 

Absolutely not, that is only a CDC thing.

Take BPA in both spots, regardless of position.  We don't have elite talent at any position in our pool, we need everything.  If we come out of this draft with Michkov and Barlow (2 wingers)in the first round, you take it and hug yourself to sleep.

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Well, it looks like he is actually a LD:(  Maybe they can pick him up with the 2nd.  From what I have

read about him, his skill level is so high that he may very well have offensive potential.

Makes it even more important for the Nucks to pick Reinbacher with the Islander's 1st.