The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

This guy is Malkin 2.0 with some shades of Mats Sundin.

To me, he’s the 2nd best player of the draft. If I had #2 pick, I’d be running up to the podium like a little kid who stole some candy.

No chance that PA can move up to get him.  

The BJs will have Jiricek and Carlson just sitting in the wings behind that stacked roster.  Cuelemans l, mateychuk and jiricek on the blue line behind werenski bean peeke and boqvist.  That's an insane blue line and all 25 or under.

Then a forward core of gaudreau laine Jenner roslovic sillinger Johnson and foudy.  Most under the age of 25 with a few stand out forward prospects AND Leo Carlson.

They're not moving that at all.  Carlsson roslovic sillinger Johnson Jenner foudy is an insane crop of centers that also double as wingers.  

Carlsson with Laine will be money!  Added, the addition of him gives them the option of trading someone from the roster to supplement the blue line and with 7 picks in the first 4 rounds they can swing for the fences after their safe picks are gone.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sale

Tankathon has him at #11 (Canucks), and Button has him ranked #7, I believe.

Would anyone else be kind of upset if the Canucks selected him?

For me, the only wingers I'd want are Barlow or Wood. 

NO to: Michkov, Benson, Sale, Perreault and Cristall.

YES to: Moore, Dvorsky, Leonard, ASP, Reinbacher, Danielson

Michkov, Benson, Sale, Leonard, and Wood are all the wingers I would feel good about with at 12. Sale and Benson kinda feel like consolation prizes as they don't really fill a big organizational need for the Canucks but both have top line potential. 

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sale

I quite like your yesses but I honestly would say yes to all except Cristall. I think Sale is going to very good but he's not my top choice. A lot is made up of Perrault's skating but his ability to put up offence is sky high. It's record setting and above Matthews. :shock: He lacks grit though which is something we desperately need in our line-up.

I'm really starting to question those who say you shouldn't draft based on need because your needs could change in 2 or three years. Of course you don't want to reach but in a similar tier I would say it's acceptable to look for the traits you are lacking. Of course needs may change but if you are planning and building your team correctly they really shouldn't. It's not like a team can have too much snarl, speed, RD's, or Centers.

That's a long way of saying I'm OK with them targetting grit, and speed, in combination with high end skill. For this reason I wonder if Barlow makes sense for us there. He's also ranked pretty high by Bob and Craig.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sale

As much as it would annoy me if we drafted another skilled winger over our bigger needs in centers and defensemen, I would probably only be truly upset if Reinbacher or Dvorsky were still on the board. Sale is incredibly skilled and with a good frame that he just needs to fill out a bit more. There is a reason he's been consistently ranked so high throughout the year.

46 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I quite like your yesses but I honestly would say yes to all except Cristall. I think Sale is going to very good but he's not my top choice. A lot is made up of Perrault's skating but his ability to put up offence is sky high. It's record setting and above Matthews. :shock: He lacks grit though which is something we desperately need in our line-up.

I'm really starting to question those who say you shouldn't draft based on need because your needs could change in 2 or three years. Of course you don't want to reach but in a similar tier I would say it's acceptable to look for the traits you are lacking. Of course needs may change but if you are planning and building your team correctly they really shouldn't. It's not like a team can have too much snarl, speed, RD's, or Centers.

That's a long way of saying I'm OK with them targetting grit, and speed, in combination with high end skill. For this reason I wonder if Barlow makes sense for us there. He's also ranked pretty high by Bob and Craig.

Need or no need... think its proven the powerforwards, RHDs and Centers are gold. 
So if a winger is taken he should be way beyond the rest. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, canuckwings said:

Did Michkov's camp provide a reason why he's skipping the combine? He must have someone advise him what missing the combine means. As much as we would be drooling over his talent if he drops, missing the combine seems like a huge red flag. You would have no idea what his personality is or what his plans are for his pro career. That seems pretty risky?

His father was the biggest and most important part of his camp. 

His father was murdered two months ago and found face down in a pond. 

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

His father was the biggest and most important part of his camp. 

His father was murdered two months ago and found face down in a pond. 

Another reason not to take him. Too much drama/distraction off the ice. 

But, looking at size and skill, like Kravtsov has, doesn't mean they'll become good NHL players either. The most important part of the player might be the brain, the IQ, the desire and fire to win. And skating, it's a fast game.

IQ / vision, awareness

Heart / Competitiveness

Skating

Which players best suit these traits?

On 5/22/2023 at 6:52 AM, spook007 said:

Sometimes back fires... 

Yzerman went off the board and drafted Seider in 2019... Think it was an ok decision ...

Seider is the exception rather than the rule. An outlier, most are exactly what you'd expect struggling in the minors.  Now great scouting staffs that can identify talent like the Redwings of the early 1990s- 2000s when they drafted star players in the 3rd round that's one thing, the jury is still out on this Canucks scouting staff.  I'm not as confident with Harvey as I was with Bracket. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

But, looking at size and skill, like Kravtsov has, doesn't mean they'll become good NHL players either. The most important part of the player might be the brain, the IQ, the desire and fire to win. And skating, it's a fast game.

IQ / vision, awareness

Heart / Competitiveness

Skating

Not drafting a kid because his father was unfortunately found dead and it would cause a “distraction” is beyond stupid.

Mixhkov is the best Russian prospect ever. Better than Ovechkin and Malkin. Better than any one to come from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Not drafting a kid because his father was unfortunately found dead and it would cause a “distraction” is beyond stupid.

Mixhkov is the best Russian prospect ever. Better than Ovechkin and Malkin. Better than any one to come from there. 

Hopefully there are lots of stupid GMs drafting ahead of us and Michkov falls into our lap. :towel:

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully there are lots of stupid GMs drafting ahead of us and Michkov falls into our lap. :towel:

Russian mob has made its calls to prospective GM’s and organizations. They have the dirt. Michkov will end up exactly where they want him to go. ;)

Edited by zimmy

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

IQ / vision, awareness

Heart / Competitiveness

Skating

Outside of the top 4 (Will Smith, Bedard, Carlsson, and Fantilli)....  

IQ / vision / awareness ---> Michkov, but outside of him probably Benson 

Heart / Competitiveness --->  Ryan Leonard 

Skating --->  Oliver Moore 

I'd be interested to hear from others what they think.  Good question. 

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Seider is the exception rather than the rule. An outlier, most are exactly what you'd expect struggling in the minors.  Now great scouting staffs that can identify talent like the Redwings of the early 1990s- 2000s when they drafted star players in the 3rd round that's one thing, the jury is still out on this Canucks scouting staff.  I'm not as confident with Harvey as I was with Bracket. 

Yeah jury is still out, but Bracket got wildly hyped up amongst Canucks fans.  Every bad pick was attributed to Benning and every good pick was given credit for in Bracket's name.  People also conveniently left out Bracket from their mind when it comes to our dismal drafting record in his early years with the club.  

Todd Harvey has his name all over D-Petey, and a few of the other later round picks over the last three drafts.  We will need another two years to see the fruits of his labour. 

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sale

I would be ok with Sale. I think it would be consistent in terms of showing that PA is drafting in a certain direction. Barlow Leonard Wood these guys are complementary. They would mesh well with our core and fill an organizational hole. Sale on the other hand has the potential to be a franchise player and flip the script. Like Smith or Michkov. 

It comes down to me how much does PA want to Rebuild or Re tool. How much faith does he have in this core? If he's rebuilding I love the Sale pick if he's re tooling I don't like it as much. 

• Cheers 1

Canucks central sharing a trade proposal by Chicago media 

proposing 

Canucks 11th overall and a contract like Garland 

for

chicago 19th and a high second so for this example 35th overall (as they have 4 second rounders)

As gross as it would be if the scenario was they drafted two bc boys at 1 and 11 and we contributed to it.

I think I would do it. 

wed still get a high end prospect at 19 and we’d get a solid prospect at 35 and really help our forward mix and cap situation.

Interesting proposal though nonetheless 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

IQ / vision, awareness

Heart / Competitiveness

Skating

Leonard, Moore, Benson, Simashev, ASP, Barlow, Danielson, Stenberg.

7 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

That is true....

scouting is far more developed now, than it was 30 years ago, and a lot of time/money is being put into it by the clubs now. 
So sliding though the cracks is far harder and going off board is also riskier as all the teams has a pretty good read on the Players. 
In saying that, each team has their own lists, and what one team may consider being the right player at that point, another may not... otherwise the could just draft after Buttons list