The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

One guy I would like to put a lil hype out there for is. None other than Alexander Rykov. With Ivan Miroshnichenko terminating his KHL contract today and signing with Washington maybe there is still hope for Russian prospects. 

This kid has bounced around a ton. He is a July birthday 17 yearold listed 5'11 170 

He put up 11 points on 20 VHL games this year and appeared in 6 KHL games. In his D-1 as a 16 year old he put up 22 points in 38 MHL games. These are Yurov, Miroschnichenko levels. 

Lil hype vid 

If we use @HighOnHockey's league quality ranking which I think is pretty accurate

1. NHL

2, KHL

3. SHL

4. AHL

5. Liiga

6. NL

7. Czech Extraliga

8. VHL

9. DEL

10. Allsvenskan

We can say he out produced Dalibor Dvorski and all the 3 of the swedes from Djugardens  in their D+1. But it's not all about the offense he shines defensively and as a tenacious puck hound. 

But don't take my word for it. 

"Dobber"  Rykov plays a very projectable game. He’s an advanced defensive forward with a knack for winning puck battles and taking the puck away. He plays with excellent effort and a good stick to defend. Currently, Rykov is limited to being a finisher on offense, as the playmaking and deception haven’t translated to the pro level just yet. Still, he’s a solid skater and appears to have the work ethic required to improve on his weaknesses. The overall maturity in his game and improvement from the start of the season to now lead me to believe he’s far from a finished project. With proper development over the next few years, I could see Rykov playing as a two-way impact middle-6 winger, who can be tasked with playing against the other team’s better players, while still chipping in some secondary scoring of his own. Jordan Harris

"THW" The best part of Rykov’s game isn’t necessarily his offensive makeup, despite being a winger. Instead, it’s his two-way play and effort away from the puck. He’s a strong forechecker who will create trouble for opposing defensemen, leading to turnovers and regaining puck possession for his team. At the other end of the rink, he shows elusiveness and escapability when the puck is on his stick in the defensive zone. 

While Rykov is not a flashy offensive player, he has skill and can create scoring chances off the rush. His skating needs work, as it’d probably be considered NHL average at the moment. Having said that, he doesn’t turn 18 until July, making him one of the younger players in this draft. He has plenty of time to work on his skating, especially since he’s at least a couple of years away from playing in the NHL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

This was a huge goal. He lined up 4 players infront of their goalie. This was Salo esque he didn't try to clap it he knew they respected his shot. This was more surgical love to see it.  

The sound of the shot.

As much as I like how this tournament has confirmed the way I view Dalibor I almost don’t like it since if there was any chance he slid to our pick he’s now for certain not making it to 11.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I found the U18 tournament to be a bit of an eye-opener. I hadn't seen most of these payers play yet. I can see how the rankings will change after this tournament, with some players like Dvorsky, Smith, Leonard, Perreault, etc doing so well, while others like Cristall, Moore, Dragicevic, not doing too good. I see them dropping.

So, what if it's VAN's turn to pick and Reinbacher is still available (ASP is gone), and Allvin selects Willander. ??

Honestly willander feels like to me he’s gonna be the kinda guy who will get drafted later but be one of the best dmen in the draft when all is said and done. 

but that could change. Lots of outside scouts are starting to really notice him and how consistent he is. He could have a very strong D+1 year too 

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Honestly willander feels like to me he’s gonna be the kinda guy who will get drafted later but be one of the best dmen in the draft when all is said and done. 

but that could change. Lots of outside scouts are starting to really notice him and how consistent he is. He could have a very strong D+1 year too 

Would have really liked to have seen Bonk, Akey, Reinbacher, Simashev. 

• Upvote 1

decent podcast before the U18’s

key points: 

Wood ahead of Leonard because how far he’s come along from beginning of season. Younger with a sharper trajectory. 

Leonard comparison Matthew Tkatchuk 

Extremely high on Danielson 

Thinks Reinbacher will be first D taken potentially in top 10, didn’t shut down the Seider comparison 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Aside from what we can figure out for ourselves, most of what we get as fans is the opinions of journalists and some quotes from NHL scouts. I've always been a big believer that we as fans can always get a good sense of what legit hockey people think about the prospects by how their coaches see and use them. It's all right there in the ice time, plain as day. Comparing the Swedish D at this tournament is particularly interesting, but I totalled up ATOI for the top D in the tournament to see what we might see.

Maxim Strbak - 25:46

Aron Kiviharju - 24:59

Axel Sandin-Pellikka - 23:48

Theo Lindstein - 23:41

Lukas Dragicevic - 23:25

Tom Willander - 21:33

Nothing too surprising. I mean, I guess for anyone unfamiliar with Aron Kiviharju, an under-age D ranking 2nd in the tournament in ATOI would sound surprising, but to those who've been following his career for some time, nothing is really surprising anymore. Lukas Dragicevic was the biggest earner of his coach's trust, playing 18:40 in the first game of the tournament and then 20:58 in he second, continuing to gradually increase his ice team each game throughout the tournament before capping it off by playing 32:30 in the bronze medal game.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

This article seems spot on. I feel the same way, that Willander took a big step forward, and Cristall took a big step back. 

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Stenberg really impressed me. I’m super curious where he will get picked

I agree with most of that list, but I still don't understand how the USA top line increased their stock. The gold medal game was the first and only time they were really challenged and they struggled for most of the game, although they did come through in the end. Before that the tournament was mostly just them doing what they've done all season but against easier competition (and on a bigger stage). David Edstrom, on the other hand, came outta nowhere to catapult himself into the first round. Most of us barely knew who Edstrom was coming in, barely any draft sources had him ranked. Averaged 20:39 per game to Stenberg's 19:17. Third most ATOI in the tournament by a forward behind Dvorsky and Pekarcik. First in the tournament in total faceoffs both taken and won.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

I think Strbak is the Seider of this draft. Can see him being taken between 12-16, almost a 30+ jump.

Travis Sanheim? I remember him being ranked in the 2nd round before a great u18s and ultimately ending up being drafted by Philly at 17.

21 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My rankings after the U18 Tournament 

1) Bedard

------------------

2) Fantilli

------------------

3) Carlsson

4) Michkov

5) Smith

------------------

6) Dvorsky

7) Reinbacher

------------------

8) ASP

9) Leonard

10) Wood

11) Sale

12) Benson

-------------------

13) Yager

14) Barlow

15) Perreault

16) Moore

17) Honzek

18) Ritchie

19) Danielson

20) Halttunen

21) Cristall

--------------------

22) Stenberg

23) Simachev

24) Dragicevic

25) Strbak

25) Stramel

26) Heidt

27) But

28) Wallinder

29) Musty

30) Gulyayev

31) Brindley

32) Pekarcik

I think if you take Wood out of that list you have the Canucks list in order.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think we would rank Carlsson ahead of Fantilli. Lots of teams will. 

It is almost unanimous that Fantilli is the 2nd rated prospect, I think ive only see one scouting scource that had him 3rd. He is fresh off the Hober Baker in his draft year, and is headed to the WC's where I would assume he cements his spot as 2nd overall.   

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It is almost unanimous that Fantilli is the 2nd rated prospect, I think ive only see one scouting scource that had him 3rd. He is fresh off the Hober Baker in his draft year, and is headed to the WC's where I would assume he cements his spot as 2nd overall.   

True, but among NHL teams' lists I wouldn't be surprised at all if some had Carlsson over Fantilli.

Fantilli is probably the safer and more NHL-ready pick, but I can't help but suspect that Carlsson has bigger long-term upside. Fantilli is a defensive machine and a physical powerhouse, but I believe Carlsson has a little more skill and finesse, and has been adding more of a power element to his game at the SHL level throughout the year. I still have yet to decide who I'll have first between these two in my final rankings. Sweden has yet to announce their roster but I would imagine he'll be at the Men's World Championship as well.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

True, but among NHL teams' lists I wouldn't be surprised at all if some had Carlsson over Fantilli.

Fantilli is probably the safer and more NHL-ready pick, but I can't help but suspect that Carlsson has bigger long-term upside. Fantilli is a defensive machine and a physical powerhouse, but I believe Carlsson has a little more skill and finesse, and has been adding more of a power element to his game at the SHL level throughout the year. I still have yet to decide who I'll have first between these two in my final rankings.

Personally I just don't see many teams taking that much extras risk for a bit more upside. Fantilli is already dominating NA hockey at a level similiar to Eichel, and his game is already so complete. But teams have paid the price for playing it safe in the past ie Nolan Patrick, not that the players are that comparable in their draft year performances. 

I do think his performance at the WC will make the decision easier for teams though. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

I'm interested to see where the Russians will be selected.

Michkov

Gulyeyev

But

Simashev

Thinking the Top 10 could be wacky once it's all said and done

1. Bedard

2. Fantilli

3. Carlsson

4. Sandin Pellikka (RDs like this don't come along very often, I can see a GM taking him high)

5. Dvorsky

6. Smith

7. Leonard

8. Reinbacher

9. Michkov

10. Benson

11. ?

Some decent options could still be available for the Canucks, like: Sale, Wood, Moore, Barlow and Stenberg

• Cheers 1