The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

For some people like me that dont know much about these prospects , here is a ranking with pretty good descriptive info on each player.

In our range I am liking the sounds of Wood, Dvorsky and Reinbacher

Spoiler

1. Connor Bedard — C, Regina Pats, 5-foot-10

Bedard’s statistical profile speaks for itself: 28 points in 15 games as a 15-year-old in the WHL, two points per game at U18 worlds as a double underager, 51 goals and 100 points on a dreadful team at 16, six goals in four games at U18 worlds as an underager for a second time (in what wasn’t even his best hockey), 13 goals and 31 points in 14 world juniors games (after forcing his way onto the first of those three teams by torching the selection camp), and then, as a 17-year-old who won’t turn 18 until July (we can almost forget that!), a 100-goal draft year as the CHL’s leader in goals per game, assists per game, points per game and shots per game.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Bedard can do things with the puck that nobody else in the sport can replicate. I’m not talking about him compared to other prospects in this draft. I’m talking nobody. As in, you could put him on the ice with the world’s best shooters (say, Auston MatthewsNikita KucherovPatrik LaineAlex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos) and they wouldn’t be able to load up just off of their lead skate and fire it off balance like he does, or drop it into their feet and let it go like he does. He’s got one of the best shooting actions in motion I’ve ever seen.

The way the puck explodes off of his blade almost without any forward motion to indicate the shot’s coming is remarkable. While that bent-sideways cannon that he has off of his right hip is his defining quality, it’s not the only tool he has that is singular, either. In fact, it’s not even the only element of his shooting arsenal that is one of one. His release is lightning-quick. There’s the pinpoint accuracy from impossible angles. There are the little delays and stutters he uses to create separation and get to his spots. There’s his variety of shooting stances (right down to his curl-and-drag, his one-timer, and his feel off of his backhand).

He’s got everything else you look for in a dynamic play creator as well. He’s got unbelievably quick hands and the loose grip that all great handlers have. He’s got high-end speed with his galloping crossover strides and strong acceleration from a standstill, which help him carry the puck up the ice, create one-on-one off the rush, or join in transition as the trailer whenever he has to play catchup.

He’s also highly creative despite his goal-scoring tilt. Even though the goalie is his focus, I wouldn’t say he tunnel-visions, and there’s a lot to his game between the offensive-zone blue line and the shot he takes that’s inventive. He has also learned to use the attention his shot gets as a tool to open up his passing game and find linemates at the backdoor with blind passes through seams. He regularly makes difficult plays as a passer, demonstrating high-end spatial awareness and often finding second or even third options (constantly pre-scanning and shoulder-checking). He’s an entry machine driving play through the neutral zone and across the line in control. He goes to the front of the net and will bail out to make effort plays. Add in instincts off the puck to get open even when he’s a marked man, an improved physical engagement (he’s really quite feisty and competitive), some underrated skill as a puck thief, a strong lower half, and you’ve got a superstar prospect. Nobody can defend his inside-out cut into that low, hard wrister of his at the junior level. It often takes two to take the puck off of him when he’s twisting and turning, too.

He’s a marvel, with legit 50-goal upside at the next level. I think he’ll stick at centre, too (it was nice to see him at 53.6 percent in the circle this year). I’m not sure there has ever been a player Connor Bedard’s age in the history of hockey who has been able to shoot the puck like he can. He can get a little ahead of the play, and he’s got work to do on his game defensively if he doesn’t want to get hemmed in at the next level, but those are things you live with when it comes to talent as singular as his.

2. Adam Fantilli — C, University of Michigan, 6-foot-2

Fantilli is no consolation prize. He’s a big, strong, powerful center who takes pucks from the wall to the interior with force, ease and speed — the kind of player every team covets. He can beat you along the wall on the cycle. He can beat you carrying the puck in rotations around the perimeter of the offensive zone. He can beat you by pushing through lanes to the middle third, driving the net, or dropping a shoulder to take space that isn’t there. He can beat you flying out wide. He has regularly blown me away in viewings these last couple of years (at Hockey Canada’s showcase two summers ago, in games where he looked like a man among boys in the USHL, and again at various points throughout his historic, Hobey Baker-winning freshman year at Michigan).

And even at 6-foot-2 and about 195 pounds, he’s one of the best skaters in this draft. It’s not often we see players his size who can move like him. His skating is balanced. It’s powerful when it needs to be and light and adjustable when it needs to be. Within his movement patterns, he can handle the puck on a string and shade opposing defenders off his hip. He’s going to be a transition monster. On top of it all, he’s physical, he’s a fiery competitor, he’s strong in the faceoff circle, he’ll get after it on forecheck and track pucks, he plays with energy, and he’ll pounce on turnovers and be opportunistic. He can score from midrange consistently with his low-kick wrister and one-timer, he’s got an ability to protect the puck in and out of coverage, he’s got a dangerous curl-and-drag wrister, and he’s comfortable in traffic. When he’s on, he can completely take over a game.

He also shed some of the force-it plays this year that could frustrate me and others at lower levels (he made better decisions on shot selection, overhandled less, and utilized his linemates better). I think he’s going to play in the NHL next year and be successful on raw ability from the jump. Once he refines and rounds out his game some more and adds more muscle as he ages, watch out.

3. Matvei Michkov — LW/RW, HK Sochi, 5-foot-10

Michkov is, without question or hesitation, the best prospect I’ve ever ranked at No. 3 in advance of any draft and the best Russian prospect since Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin back in 2004. On talent, upside and pedigree, his game checks all three boxes. The combination of Michkov’s position (NHL teams definitely think twice when drafting wingers this high) and the increasing uncertainty around Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and his contract in the KHL with SKA could complicate where he goes on draft day, but he still belongs here. And despite suffering a lower-body injury in a KHL preseason game, Michkov (who played to a goal a game last year in the MHL) played to a goal a game in Russia’s second-tier VHL and was very productive for his age after the move to Sochi in the KHL (he actually led a lowly Sochi team in scoring in his time there).

If he were guaranteed to be coming to the NHL next fall, a centre, and an inch or two taller, he’d have a near-perfect profile for me. He’s different than Bedard in tools and approach. Michkov’s brilliance comes primarily from his ability to make his decisions quickly and execute on them with incredible proficiency, whether that’s ripping a patterned shot (his one-timer, his standstill wrister, his curl-and-drag, etc.), a quick move into a pass, a sudden stop-up, or an attacking cut.

But he’s also sturdy for his size, which allows him to extend plays when he needs to, hang onto pucks when a quick attack isn’t there, or delay for his linemates. And while he shines in moments more than long stretches of dominant play or prolonged carries, those short moments and the consistency of his execution within them (despite being freakishly talented, he makes very few mistakes with the puck) create a uniquely high-reward, somehow low-risk game despite his tendency to come and go. When he tries things — and he often does — he’s never trying them out of desperation but rather intention. He’s a rare kind of player where he’s got A-grade tools across the board but he’s also got an efficiency to his attacking that is incredibly rare for a skilled player (especially one his age). He’s not the hardest-working player defensively, nor the fastest skater, but he always seems to be lurking around the play (and the puck) anyway and his skill level pops from there.

4. Leo Carlsson — C/LW, Orebro HK, 6-foot-3

Though he doesn’t play the game with some of the shine of the three players in front of him, Carlsson had a tremendous age-adjusted season between his play with Orebro in the SHL (including in the playoffs), at the world juniors (where he was one of Sweden’s top forwards despite playing sick/banged up), and more recently for the senior men’s national team for the first time, even considering his December 2004 birthday. This all came a year after playing to virtually two points per game at the J20 level (he looked good in an important role as a top-nine centre for Sweden at U18 worlds before an injury kept him out of their medal-round run to a gold medal, too).

Carlsson’s a big kid who has begun to come into his body (he’s 6-foot-3 and 198 pounds), but he’s also got slick handling and finesse for a forward his size, regularly finding his way through traffic or around it by out-waiting defenders one-on-one in shielded puck protection off of his hip. He stays on pucks, he’s got great instincts and takes smart routes around the ice, he’s sound positionally, he applies pressure off of the puck and comes up with possession despite not being very physical, and he just always seems to be involved in positive things inside the offensive zone. His skating also continues to improve (he’s not fast, but he’s an above-average skater for his size by my measure and it shouldn’t be preventative in him reaching his NHL upside). His long stick can limit him catching and handling pucks in his feet at times, and he doesn’t have a great shot, but those things should come, he’s got soft hands and standout finesse skill as a passer, and he’s got great dexterity and reflexes all told.

Carlsson’s also one of the smartest players in the draft and understands spacing and timing on and off the puck at an advanced level for his age. And while he played almost exclusively as a winger in the SHL the last two seasons, Carlsson came up as a centre and I like the way his game might fit there long term because of his combination of size, detail, talent and awareness. He projects as a pass-first playmaking centre with a middle-six floor, first-line potential, and clear PP value (in multiple roles, too, because he’s great around the net and below the goal line passing low to high, but can also run it from the flank).

5. Will Smith — C, U.S. NTDP, 6 feet

A brilliant handler and manipulator of the puck, including at full speed, Smith is a tantalizing and slippery talent who blends deception, baits and fakes (with his eyes, shoulders and head) into his movements to not just make opposing players miss but often send them the wrong way.

Crafty is the best word to describe his game. He went from a point-per-game U17 season (the only player on that team to do so) to more than two points per game in his U18 campaign. Beyond his natural skill in possession, he also impresses with his smarts with the puck, his cerebral play style, and his ability to play to his linemates. Smith is one of the very best slot passers in the draft and uses his unique puckhandling ability to dodge close-outs, weave off of the wall (he almost always takes his first touch to the middle as a tool to draw attention), and make plays through holes in coverage in possession with ease, regularly hanging onto pucks to delay his way into his spots or carve in.

He’s the kind of player who can beat you with a pass, a dangerous wrister (which beats goalies with timing and accuracy more than power), or a deke. He’s a treat to watch in possession and processes the game at such an advanced and rapid level.

The way he wheels across the top of the circles and then play-makes from the high slot, or slips off the wall to the middle, is special. The way he walks through coverage and hangs onto pucks is special. He’s just so hard to get a hand on. There’s just this elusiveness to his game where you never know where he’s going with the puck. I like the way he has started to hunt and come up with more pucks, too.

He still has some work to do to round out his game (he’s a little too eager to flee the zone at times, isn’t very physically engaged, and can try to do a little too much occasionally). But his tracking on steals has become a borderline strength (I quite like him on stick lifts). And you can live with the rest. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t become a playmaking top-six centre and PP1 creator. I expect him to become a big-time point producer and I nearly ranked him fourth here.

6. Zach Benson — LW, Winnipeg Ice, 5-foot-9

There were a lot of nights last season, on an Ice team that boasted half a dozen of the better forwards and two of the top defencemen in the WHL, where this kid was the best player on the ice (which included him leading them in scoring in the playoffs with 23 points in 15 games) as a 16-year-old. And this season there’s no doubt: Though an injury kept him out of the first round of the playoffs and allowed teammate Matt Savoie to really take over in the postseason, Benson was the best forward on arguably the CHL’s most talented team at forward this year.

And while he benefits from playing with talented linemates, Benson’s a driver in every sense. He’s a multi-dimensional forward who has quick acceleration, can handle the puck at speed and change tempos in control, can shape play by opening up his hips to go heel-to-heel, thrives in traffic, is a triple shot-deke-pass threat, plays one step ahead of the game in possession, supports the play effectively, problem-solves as well as anyone in this class (in an age group that is full of intelligent playmakers), works hard off the puck to keep his energy up (he plays heavier and scrappier than he looks, too), and sets the pace and effort level for his line (whether by picking it up or slowing it down to use his creativity).

He’s the kind of player who fills the stat sheet and elevates his linemates in subtle ways. Increasingly, I’ve been impressed by his agility in and out of breaks and cuts (his skating is an almost underrated asset for him and particularly impressive through his edges and crossovers, though he can get going the length of the ice, too). He’ll make plays to the inside from the perimeter on one shift, and then go right to the guts of the ice to make something happen in a congested area the next. When you package all of that skill with a dogged work ethic that keeps him around pucks all the time, you’ve got a tremendous player. If he were a little bigger, he’d be a scout’s dream. I think he’s going to be a top-of-the-lineup player regardless.

7. Oliver Moore — C, U.S. NTDP, 5-foot-11

A hand injury kept Moore out of action late last year and prevented him from playing at U18 worlds as an underager, but he impressed me on three trips down to Plymouth these last two years (last November when he was already playing up, this fall for U18 Five Nations, this winter for the BioSteel All-American Game and again in Switzerland for this year’s U18 worlds. His consistent game-to-game impact, whenever I’ve sat down to watch the 2005s at the NTDP on tape, has struck me as well.

The U18 team’s first line of Smith, Ryan Leonard and Gabe Perreault piled up the points and attention (deservedly so) this year, but I’ve been as impressed by Moore and the offence he has created as the focal point of its second line from start to finish. Moore’s game is defined by his singular skating ability (both in straight lines, where he turns defenders with ease out wide, and in quick bursts from explosive stops and starts) and presence on the ice. He’s got gallops, cutbacks, crossovers, all of it. I’ve seen him create breakaways with ease, win races he shouldn’t, and send defenders sliding when he stops up on them with a head of steam. He also hunts pucks and applies pressure with the best of them, and his motor doesn’t stop, bouncing from one won battle to the next.

He wants to hang onto the puck and make plays but he’ll also hurry it up and dominate in and out of give-and-gos. He’s got an impressive one-timer from the right flank and can really lean into and rip his catch-and-release or in-stride wrister to score from the high slot. He has added a ton of strength since arriving at the program so that he can overwhelm junior-level players with his power and speed. He has learned to use some clever movement patterns to make defencemen miss and get to his spots as a shooter. He’s strong in the faceoff circle. Increasingly, his game isn’t all just about the speed/hound element and I’ve been impressed by his puck protection in and out of stops and starts in the offensive zone, changing directions to beat defenders off the all-into valuable ice.

I don’t see much to nitpick in either his tools or his approach. More and more his game has shown dimension inside the offensive zone so that he can make things happen shift after shift out of all of his effort plays up and under sticks. He just has a unique ability to impose his will on the game. And while his game is tenacious, he also has surprising soft skill. I’m not sure he has the star power of the names in front of him here, but he’s got some unique attributes in this class and he’s going to make a heck of an NHL player.

8. Gabe Perreault — LW, U.S. NTDP, 5-foot-11

I’ve stuck my neck out on Perreault since the start of this season and I’m prepared to hold firm with my evaluation through to the end of this draft year, too. Eventually, when the points pile up like they did, and they happen making the kinds of plays that he did, you can’t ignore them. Say what you will, he’s now the NTDP’s single-season points record holder. He didn’t even pass Auston Matthews and Jack Hughes by a narrow margin when it was all said and done, either. There are many who’ve settled on Perreault as more of a mid-to-late first-rounder because of the combination of his skinny frame (though he has looked stronger all three times I bumped into him over the course of this season at the rink), the linemates he plays with, and perceived questions about his skating. He’s likely going to be the fourth player from the national program picked because his game is believed to be less projectable.

I’m less and less convinced of that. He’s a clever-beyond-belief, maneuverable facilitator and playmaker who plays the game with a light touch and a heady spatial awareness of not only where his teammates are, but where he is in the flow of play (and relative to defenders). The son of longtime NHLer Yanic Perreault and brother of Ducks prospect Jacob, Gabe doesn’t have his dad’s defensive acumen or his brother’s build (he’s listed at 165 pounds now), but he’s an intuitive, highly intelligent player who sees the play develop offensively at a more advanced level than his two family members did/do — and than almost anybody in the draft does. He’s got some of the quickest hands in the draft. He problem-solves his way out of trouble as well as anyone in this age group. He’s got dexterous tools catching, tipping and redirecting pucks. He arrives into space at exactly the right times to make himself available and finish plays. His ability to bait defenders and open them up so that he can slide passes through their feet is so impressive. He gets shots off extremely fast and without bobbles in catch-and-release sequences. He plans things out on the ice at speed and then finds ways to make his desired play. He’s a slick one-on-one player but will also wait that extra split second and then just sling a pass tape-to-tape across the grain. He became a real puck thief by year’s end, consistently tracking back hard to empty the tank and make effort plays on lifts.

And he’s a better skater than he gets credit for, with above-average speed for my money and room to add power and pick up another step as he gets stronger. Because of his genetics, he should add the necessary weight and strength eventually. I’d eagerly bet on him and with the proper patience I expect the right team will reap the rewards of a top-six playmaking winger. There might not be a player in this draft class who thinks the game offensively at his level.

9. Dalibor Dvorsky — C/LW, AIK, 6-foot-1

The next in a long line of top Slovak prospects over the last couple of years, Dvorsky’s June birthday makes him one of the younger players on this list and he has already accomplished a lot, including leading a Slovak Hlinka Gretzky Cup team that featured Juraj Slafkovsky and Filip Mesar in scoring as an underager, producing well above a point per game in Sweden’s J20 level last year, producing at a strong age-adjusted clip in his draft year in the second-tier HockeyAllsvenskan (while clicking at two points per game in stints back down at J20 when the schedule allowed), and driving the bus on a Slovak team that was thin up front but exceeded expectations in Switzerland at this year’s U18 worlds.

The big question with Dvorsky for a while was whether or not he’d be a centre or a winger long term. This season, after noticeably adding some muscle, a little more speed (I’m not worried about his skating), and rounding out his game nicely, I think he has shown folks that he’ll be able to stick down the middle.

He’s sound positionally defensively. He uses his body to gain inside positioning on defenders and shields pucks effectively. I no longer have concerns about his skating (he did not look slow in the second half of this year, and began to show more consistently at five-on-five across levels as a result). He has also shown a little more fire. His gifts in control of the puck are real (I actually found it weird that he became cast as a high-floor 200-foot player as his draft year progressed, because while his energy and detail are certainly strengths, I see legitimate finesse skills, point-production upside and power-play tools). He can run the wall or the point on the PP, effortlessly picking coverage apart and feathering pucks through seams. He’s got excellent touch and weight on his passes (he’s a great saucer passer off of his forehand and backhand, in particular), and does a beautiful job waiting for lanes to open. He trusts his one-timer and his wrister from midrange. He’s got quick hands and instincts, with standout puck control and shading — and he uses them to take pucks to the middle. I like him in give-and-gos and in individual attacking sequences inside the offensive zone.

Dvorsky is a highly talented and intelligent playmaker who can threaten coverage in a variety of ways, whether that’s carving through it in control and finishing cleanly from the home plate area, sliding off of coverage to find pockets of space to get open into, or drawing coverage and facilitating (he does a wonderful job hanging onto pucks and waiting for options to open). He’ll occasionally force things but he usually finds his way through with his skill, strength on pucks and smarts. His statistical profile is really strong and continued progress in his skating will keep it that way into the NHL. I expect he’ll be picked a little lower than this, but I still like him at the edge of the top 10.

10. Matthew Wood — RW, University of Connecticut, 6-foot-4

One of my favourites in the 2005 age group these last two years, Wood was the youngest player in college hockey this season (he was, for a moment, its only 17-year-old) and stepped right in to become an impactful player and eventually the leading scorer on a good UConn team (albeit as a winger after playing mostly centre at the Jr. A level, though he’s comfortable at all three forward positions). His point-per-game production as a freshman comes a year after he led the BCHL in goals (45 in 46 games) and points (85) for a 1.85 points-per-game clip that stands as the most productive 16-year-old season in the league in decades. Wood is a rangy, goal-scoring forward who has silky hands for his size (considering the long stick he uses, he’s got superb control on the toe of his blade out wide and the heel in tight to his feet), a marksman’s shot inside the offensive zone (both through a natural shooting motion and his one-timer), and a sixth sense for arriving around the net/slot at the right time. He protects the puck so, so well and does a good job holding onto pucks for that extra second required to walk into his spots.

He’s got quick hands one-on-one, he drops pucks back into his shooting stance effortlessly, and he’s got a beautiful curl-and-drag motion. He has also quite noticeably gotten quicker from a standstill and worked to up his work rate. Though he still needs to get a little quicker from a standstill, his skating isn’t an issue for me on the whole and when he keeps his feet moving in puck protection he draws a ton of penalties. He’s better suited as a playmaker and finisher than a power-forward type, but he has become sneaky competitive. I love the way he slows down the game, adjusts and maneuvers his frame and shades pucks. Mix in a multi-dimensional shooting arsenal and I see top-six upside.

11. Ryan Leonard — RW, U.S. NTDP, 6 feet

Leonard is a prospect that everyone likes. It’s impossible not to. And after how good he looked as an underager at U18 worlds in Germany last April, nobody has been surprised by his near goal-per-game breakout this season (in fact, I wrote “I won’t be surprised if he challenges Smith and Moore on the stat sheet this year while providing all of the energy that he does” in my preseason ranking).

He’s a versatile, powerful, high-RPM player who makes things happen when he’s on the ice and pulls teammates into the fight with his scrappy, competitive, never-stop style. He’s not just the energy guy though, either. He’s got really quick side-to-side hands, a hard shot that rattles off of his stick, and quick crossover patterns that allow him to use those hands to get to places where he can look to shoot. Add in the strength and power that comes with his stocky frame, an ability to drive and shed contact when he gets bumped, and a defensive conscience, and there’s more than just a hands-shot-worker skill set. He’s not the most cerebral player and he can be a little too net-focused at times, but he has made noticeable strides on both of those fronts to become a more inventive, less predictable player from A to B (I’ve been more and more impressed by his little hesitations and his widened vision in possession). His backhand has also become a legit weapon, adding another layer to his shooting arsenal. There’s just so much that looks translatable about his game. The way he gets shots off hard even from off balance and sometimes falling stances. The way he battles and the fearlessness with which he drives the net. His dexterity.

Leonard’s the kind of player who will score, add physicality to a line, and slide up and down a top nine in an NHL lineup while endearing himself to his coaches.

12. Eduard Sale — LW/RW, HC Kometa Brno, 6-foot-2

It was tricky evaluating and contextualizing Sale last season, when he was above two points per game (99 in 44) in Czechia’s top junior league, doing things that had never been done and smashing (and even doubling in some cases) the production of recent top Czech players at the same age (including first-rounders like Jakub Voracek and Tomas Hertl). But he has since looked like one of the most talented players at three international events (Germany for U18 worlds, Red Deer for the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, and Switzerland for a second U18 worlds), while coming and going to produce at a fourth (the world juniors in Halifax) and coming and going to produce in the Czech Extraliga.

He’s a smooth skater who is noticeable in transition for both his ability to weave up ice and facilitate and also his ability to create breakaways for himself and beat goalies one-on-one. He’s got superb vision and ranks among the best in the class at dissecting coverage as a passer. I love him on the half-wall/point on the PP with his ability to hit east-west seams (he just seems to see every lane and opening). He can slow it down and pick things apart or hurry up his passes through holes. He has shown a knack for making big plays at big moments and can really shoot it, whether with a quick-release wrister or his dangerous one-timer.

He’s also a dexterous player who has good size (which will fill out). He can beat you on the perimeter with his skill (highlighted by excellent one-on-one hands-on defenders).

He lacks competitiveness and everyone would like to see him play with a little more effort both on (going to the guts of the ice more) and off the puck (cutting down on his gliding and puck-watching/keeping his feet moving and involving himself). Because when he does go to the inside, I’ve seen him get sticks on tips and redirects. He can definitely drift a little at five-on-five but his eyes light up and his head swivels when the puck lands on his stick, and skill plays against the grain usually follow. He’s got poise and patience on the puck. He’s got a multi-dimension shot. And while he’ll fade in stretches, the talent level is clear. With a little more consistency and some maturity, there’s a top-six playmaking winger there. He might drive some coaches crazy, but you don’t need all 12 of your forwards to be worker types and I like him to become a talented playmaker who plays well off of drivers.

13. Andrew Cristall — LW, Kelowna Rockets, 5-foot-10

Still one of my favourites in this class even after a first-round WHL playoff series and U18 worlds that underwhelmed many, Cristall is a creative, crafty playmaker who isn’t afraid to try things and possesses a rare ability to play in small areas, pull eyes and bodies toward him, and then expose opposing structures to the weak side of coverage.

A quad contusion cost him five weeks as his stock was on the rise, but it shouldn’t have taken any long watching this year’s Kelowna Rockets to realize just how much offence he creates for himself and his teammates while being a marked man every night. If this weren’t a draft that also featured Bedard, he was in the midst of one of the most productive draft-eligible seasons in recent WHL history (pacing to outproduce, for example, the 106 in 69 that 2011 No. 1 pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins posted by 15 points).

Despite his diminutive size, he’s also a smarter player off of the puck than he gets credit for and I’ve been struck by how often he’s in the right position above the puck to hold play inside the offensive zone. He’s as fun to watch with the puck on his stick as almost anyone in this draft. When you think you’ve got him trapped, you usually don’t. He’s just a natural creator for himself and others who manufactures offence in a variety of ways. And while his speed in straight lines is a definite barrier, his skating is adjustable in tight spaces. He can also stickhandle himself into trouble at times, but he does such a good job holding onto pucks until his options open up that you’re OK with the odd offensive zone turnover. Despite his size, he also does a good job tracking pucks to the net so that he can be opportunistic.

He’s going to be picked lower than this on the basis of his size, position and skating, but I won’t be surprised if he becomes one of the more productive players to emerge from this draft class. His skill, touch, problem-solving and spatial awareness are legitimately high end. I expect that teams will place too much emphasis on his four games against Seattle in the first round plus his slow start at U18 worlds, and the team that strikes in the late first may well benefit.

14. Brayden Yager — C, Moose Jaw Warriors, 5-foot-11 

Yager has been on the radar in western Canada for some time now, and he’s got some real pedigree to his profile and cachet to his game to support it. He was the No. 3 pick in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft. He was the CHL Rookie of the Year (on 34 goals). He was an alternate captain and second-leading scorer at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, and was an alternate captain and second-leading scorer with Moose Jaw.

His actual statistical profile is good without being great, though (it was helped by a strong 16-in-10 playoffs with the Warriors this spring). Still, he has been a consistent offensive player for Moose Jaw while playing a detail-oriented off-puck game (he was also a dangerous penalty killer and is decently strong in the faceoff circle).

Yager plays a threatening, attacking, puck-dominant game with skill in straight lines and in cutting sequences in transition. He’s got smooth skating mechanics. He’s also dangerous inside the offensive zone from the top of the circles in with a quick-release wrister (one of the faster releases in the draft) that comes off of his blade hard and with a slight, goalie-fooling adjustment pre-shot; good puck skill in congested areas; an ability to attack in bursts and make something happen out of dead plays; and an equal ability to play off of coverage and make himself available for his linemates.

He’s a natural scorer and creator who plays a direct style, but he’s also got plus vision and deft touch (though I wouldn’t say his creativity is necessarily a strength). I like the way he supports the puck defensively as a centreman, too, though he’ll need to get stronger to be as reliable defensively at the NHL level as he is in junior. He is very intentional with his routes, offensively and defensively, which should help him stick at the centre position long term. I don’t think he’s going to become the kind of star you’re hoping to get out of a top-10 pick, but he’s got 2C, PP1 upside if he can fill out his frame and continue to add dimension.

15. David Reinbacher — RHD, EHC Kloten, 6-foot-2

We sometimes see draft-eligible D play their full draft year in a professional league. We seldom see them play big minutes in a good league, though — even when they’re on the older side, like Reinbacher is with his October birthday. But that’s what the Austrian did in Switzerland’s top flight this season, where he played over 20 minutes more often than he played under it. He even drove results at both ends in those minutes, with a positive goal differential on an under-.500 team that was outscored pretty significantly.

Reinbacher’s got pro size, desired handedness, and a really strong foundation of tools that all but guarantee he’ll become an NHLer. I expect he’ll be the first defenceman picked when all is said and done, and it sounds like he’ll go as high as the top 10 (which I wouldn’t scoff at). Reinbacher’s a solid forward and backward skater (though he can look a little stilted at times) who gaps well and defends the rush effectively with a noticeably long stick.

He looks to take instead of give in the neutral zone, regularly stepping up to try to bump puck carriers off possession and force dumps (though there are times when that style can leave him chasing if his timing’s off or he’s flatfooted). He’s strong. His head is always up and on a swivel and he does a good job pre-surveying the ice when he’s going back to get pucks through frequent shoulder checks. He’s got some poise and processing under pressure, even if his play with the puck on his stick isn’t dynamic per se. He’s just a rock-solid, projectable two-way defenceman. I’m not sure he’s got the skill to become a true No. 1, but he’s got everything needed to become a good top-four guy and maybe more than that.

16. Axel Sandin Pellikka — RHD, Skelleftea AIK, 5-foot-11

There aren’t many players in this draft class who’ve come along quite like Sandin Pellikka has in the last year or so. He has been utterly dominant at the J20 level, played big minutes when things mattered most as an underager at the world juniors (including in three overtimes), looked himself in the SHL, and was the best defenceman in the tournament at U18 worlds in Switzerland for my money. He’s got really good edges and mobility and has shown improved speed in straight lines to pull away from chasers (with more room for growth there still). He walks the line to get shots through at a high level, wants the puck in the offensive zone and has the skill and shot to make things happen when teammates find him off the point or as the trailer off the rush (which he often activates into). He keeps his head up in the neutral and defensive zones and is a confident puck carrier on exits and entries. Though he’s not big, he’s athletic and he plays hard and engages in battles in the defensive zone with some sneaky strength. He’s got a good stick.

He does a good job maintaining gaps and matching opposing forwards step-for-step skating backward, and times his close-outs and pinches effectively. He’s competitive and can really shoot it with a pinpoint accurate shot, a wrister that comes off hard.

There are times when he can wait too long to make his decisions and I wouldn’t call him super creative, but he makes good choices more often than he’s careless and he has progressed really rapidly. When he’s on, he can control the game in all three zones.

17. Colby Barlow — LW/RW, Owen Sound Attack, 6 feet

One of the more impressive 2005s in the CHL in each of his two seasons, Barlow scored 35 goals in 66 combined regular-season and playoff games as a rookie in the OHL, was named captain of the Attack for his draft year, and scored 49 goals in 63 combined games this season (both rare goal scoring for a player his age, and a rare honour for a player his age).

Barlow plays a direct, intentional game built around great hands, a physically mature pro frame, and an NHL shot (he can cleanly beat goalies from midrange). He’s also an able penalty killer, which should give him all-situations upside at the next level. He has a high floor and should safely become a strong third-line player but also has the upside to become more if things really click in his north-south game at the next level. Still, though he is a dominant junior player, it’s also fair to ask if his advanced growth gives him less runway for improvement (he really does look like a man already). He’s also not fast despite his strength, although he has made progress in his skating and does at times look powerful in straight lines once he builds speed (he moves just fine through his crossovers and can build speed and momentum that way, but he is sluggish from a standstill). I would like to see him tunnel-vision a little less and open up his plane of sight a little more. Even though he can score on them, he takes low-percentage shots a little too much for my liking off the rush (maybe because he feels he can’t take the D one-on-one so he shoots through them instead?).

The pro build, mentality and scoring tools are very appealing though and there are teams that have fallen in love with his game/makeup.

18. Quentin Musty — LW, Sudbury Wolves, 6-foot-2

The top pick in the 2021 OHL Priority Selection, Musty was one of the focal points of the Wolves offence this season and would have been their leader in shots on goal, assists and points were it not for a few weeks lost in January to a hand injury (following up on a strong showing at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup this summer). He’s a big, strong, sturdy, athletic, net-driven winger with slick puckhandling skill one-on-one and a balanced skater’s stride. He can unload from his hip into a heavy snapshot (which he was probably owed a few more goals off of this year) or drop and drive the net into a tuck play in tight. He’s also really comfortable passing from the perimeter and hitting seams in coverage, which gives his game added dimension. He’s great along the wall on the cycle, but he can also occasionally make a play that pulls you out of your seat. The raw potential is there in spades and the production caught up to it as his season progressed.

He’s got time to put it all together given his summer birthday, too. There was a time when folks thought Musty was the best American-born 2005 prospect and while that’s no longer the case there’s still a lot to get excited about.

19. Calum Ritchie — C, Oshawa Generals, 6-foot-2

Ritchie is the complete package. From my first live viewing of him two Octobers ago in St. Catharines when he looked like the Generals’ most talented forward in just the second game of his OHL career, to his four-goal, seven-point series in Oshawa’s six-game first-round defeat against the Frontenacs last year, to his Hlinka performance last summer, to my most recent live viewings of him in Oshawa, in Langley at the CHL Top Prospects Game, and in Switzerland for U18 worlds (though I’ve been surprised that Hockey Canada, given his two-way and faceoff track record, has played him on the wing), Ritchie has consistently impressed me. On the puck, he’s a multi-faceted playmaker who often looks like the player who was the No. 2 pick in the 2021 OHL Priority Selection and an OHL First All-Rookie Team member.

He’s got quick hands (he’s prolific on breakaways/in the shootout), a dangerous curl-and-drag wrister, decent cleverness to his game as a passer (whether through seams or often blind), slick skill in traffic and out wide sliding pucks under sticks and rotating through coverage or past checks for a player his size, and a knack for finessing pucks into spots for himself or his linemates to skate onto. He has also begun to fill out his frame, which has helped turn him into a diligent, relied-upon two-way player off the puck.

This year, wearing an “A” as a 17-year-old with the Generals, he was arguably their most consistent forward while playing a key role on the penalty kill and late in games in the faceoff circle (where he is really strong). I’d like to see him pick up a bit more of an acceleration gear from a standstill (his stride can look a little short/stunted/heavy and he needs to do a better job of keeping his feet moving when he has control instead of slowing to a glide to survey), and fill the scoresheet a little more (though the talent around him has something to do with that too), but there’s a lot to like.

He takes smart routes with and without the puck, he has become a reliable three-zone player, and the skill is there (he’s got superb puck control skill). He does a good job finding inside ice in possession (or off of it). He’s also a very selfless player for his age who is quick to change in the offensive zone and will sooner make the right play than try to overdo it. I’ve liked the progress I’ve seen in how strong he is over pucks and getting up and under sticks to take them back in pursuit, or go to the net for tips (which he’s actually quite dexterous on) instead of always trying to free himself for his shot. When he keeps his feet moving, he’s an impressive player. There has been souring on him as a top-10 candidate because of his production and, at times, lack of pace (though in saying that scouts still have a lot of respect for his game) but I expect his production to take a big leap next season. He also battled a shoulder injury during the final months of the season and played good hockey through it.

20. Nate Danielson — C, Brandon Wheat Kings, 6-foot-2

Just a couple of weeks away from having been eligible for the 2022 draft, Danielson, who was an MVP of Alberta’s U15 AAA circuit and the No. 5 pick into the WHL, was a point-per-game player and one of Brandon’s top producers last season before being named captain for his draft year. This year, after getting off to a bit of a slow start (one goal and five points in his first eight games), he really came back into his own as the best player on a bad team as the season progressed.

He’s well-liked by scouts and will go higher than this, but I think there’s a real chance he tops out as a third-line centre with room to become a second-line one, and if the former is the outcome, even if he’s very good in that role, that’s just not the kind of player I could justify ranking closer to the top 10 (though I did think about ranking him as high as 18th here).

Danielson’s a pro-sized, hardworking pivot who can skate and excels in driving through the middle of the ice, pushing tempo and playing with energy. He plays a well-rounded two-way game, is a proficient penalty killer, wants to make a difference in all areas when he’s on the ice and blends good overall skill with his effort. While his game doesn’t have the dynamism of the other kids in this loaded WHL class, most scouts like the projectability of Danielson to the pro game. I’d like to see him go past effective and really take over more, especially considering his age, but he makes his fair share of plays and it does feel like he has NHLer written all over him.

21. Riley Heidt — C, Prince George Cougars, 5-foot-10

Heidt, taken No. 2 in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft with the pick between Bedard and Yager (he and Yager were actually teammates in minor hockey), is a talented and hardworking playmaker who keeps himself involved in the play off the puck and then makes plays between battles in possession of the puck. He was the go-to center for the Cougars in the faceoff circle this year. He’s also a strong skater who is light on his edges, plays with jump, builds speed quickly into flight to put defenders on their heels and/or create separation, leads a lot of neutral-zone carries into entries, and makes plays into space for himself or his linemates at pace, though he can over-pass at times (to the point where he passes up good looks). He’ll make plays through seams. He’s eager physically and can play a scrappy pest game when the intensity ramps up (which has resulted in a couple of suspensions in his time in the WHL). He’s unafraid to try things and has the skill to execute difficult plays. And he always seems to be around it.

His ability to make plays offensively both off the rush and inside the zone (where he’s got slick skill in traffic, great instincts off of the puck, and a lunch-pale approach) also gives me a lot of confidence that he’ll continue to progress. He was more impressive than his already-impressive 61-points-in-68-games season last year (where he led the Cougars in scoring), and the same was true in his strong, near-100-point season on a middle-of-the-pack Cougars team this year.

22. Mikhail Gulyayev — LHD, Omskie Yastreby, 5-foot-10

Gulyayev put together the most productive 16-year-old season by a defenceman in the MHL’s modern history (13 seasons dating back to 2009) when he posted 35 points in 54 games last year, regularly playing 20 minutes per game in a league famous for typically relying on older players. He did that after notching five points in five games at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup two years ago as a young 16-year-old, too. This year, though he struggled defensively in his limited minutes in the KHL, he was absolutely dominant in the MHL and looked quite comfortable in the second-tier VHL.

It has been a few rough age groups for Russian defencemen but Gulyayev’s got a chance to flip the script. He’s a commanding offensive defenceman who is at his best when he’s looking to take charge with his feet. And while we don’t often see smaller defenceman taken as high as I have him ranked here, he doesn’t play small and I like his game at both ends of the ice because of his mobility and the confidence with which he reads the play.

You’ll commonly see him activate to lead plays into the offensive zone and create something. He walks the line and bends coverage as an impressive and tactical power-play quarterback. But you’ll also see him make the heady escape play out of his own zone under pressure at five-on-five, or slide into a passing line to intercept a pass, or disrupt an opposing carrier with a tight gap and active stick. If he can become a second-pairing offensively inclined defenceman at even strength and a PP1 QB, that has major value in the second half of the first round. I think there’s a small chance he becomes a star or close with the right development, too.

23. Bradly Nadeau — LW, Penticton Vees, 5-foot-10

The BCHL’s leading scorer while playing on a line with his older brother Josh (a player I vouched for as a worthy late-round flier ahead of last year’s draft), Nadeau is a multi-dimensional forward whose hands, skating and shooting all get very high grades. A Maine Black Bears commit, Nadeau creates offence in a variety of ways, bursting wide or pulling away from defenders in transition with his quick feet, taking the puck right at or through coverage with his maneuverability, or leaning into a pinpoint shot (whether off of catch-and-releases, standstill shooting mechanics off the flank on the power play or through his one-timer — which the Vees have tried to open by playing him, a right-handed shot, on his off wing this season). His 113 points in 54 games this year were the most by an under-18 skater in the BCHL since Kyle Turris in 2007, outproducing players like Kent JohnsonAlex Newhook and Tyson Jost at the same age.

24. Gavin Brindley — C/RW, University of Michigan, 5-foot-8

One of three players on this list playing college hockey this season, it felt like Brindley got better with every game at the University of Michigan, to the point where he went from comfortable to impactful every single night, including at centre and on the wing (I think he’ll be a winger at the next level though). Brindley’s a plus-level skater who gets through his extensions quickly (including from a standstill), excels on his edges, rounds corners sharply, and darts around the ice, hunting pucks and pushing through holes.

He’s also got some of the quicker hands and better touch on this list. He thrives in the small-area game, using light passes and rapid movements to play in and out of coverage. He has now impressed me wherever I’ve watched him (NCAA, USHL, Five Nations, U18 worlds, world juniors, etc.) as a small but highly involved forward who plays the game with energy and pace, making little skill plays between coverage. He buzzes around the ice and does such a good job releasing from one battle or chance to hunting or getting open for the next one. He’s always moving. He’ll make the soft play to the middle of the ice from the perimeter, or go there to get to rebounds or position himself on screens/tips. He’s excellent in puck protection twisting away from coverage to make things happen along the boards. And he just always seems to play well, no matter the role/usage/stage. And the beauty of Brindley’s game is that while he may prove talented enough to play in a skill role at the NHL level, he’s got the approach/tools to play an effective bottom-six game too. That will limit concerns about his height (he has certainly never played small).

25. Samuel Honzek — LW, Vancouver Giants, 6-foot-4

Honzek was on one of the steeper ascents in the draft this season when he suffered a leg injury in Slovakia’s second game of the world juniors which sidelined him until late February. He’s a big winger whose game really fit right from the get-go on North American ice, quickly establishing himself as a go-to player in all situations for the Giants (even though he was an underager, Slovakia was playing him a ton early on in the world juniors, too). He skates quite well for his size, he’s got good hands and dexterity, he’s got great feel and sense for the pressures that exist on the ice, and he’s by all accounts a great teammate and kid who is coachable and pays attention to the details of the game. There’s a lot of belief out there that he’s going to be a well-rounded middle-six NHLer and maybe more (though I’m not sold on him being more than that, he’s still a very good player and will be picked higher than this as a result).

He’s still got room to get stronger, too, so it’s not as though he’s a finished product.

26. Daniil But — LW/RW, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, 6-foot-5

After playing on Russia’s Hlinka Gretzky team two summers ago, But played to a point-per-game level in the MHL as one of its top 2005s last season and began his draft year on a tear in the MHL, scoring 11 goals in his first 15 games of the season before earning a mid-October promotion to the KHL for the first time (he then scored his first two pro goals and bounced between the KHL and MHL). Scouts are drawn to him because of his size-skill combo and committed 200-foot game, and while he can look a little uncoordinated out there at times, he skates well for his size, his hands are nimble for his size, the draw is real and there are some definite tools there.

He’s excellent on the wall in puck protection and also has some outside-in skill so that he can attack off of holds into the middle third. He’s got impressive shooting mechanics given how long his stick is, and he regularly pulls pucks into his feet to change his angle face-up against goalies. I love the way he shields pucks and waits for his opportunities to attack. While he’s got some work to do to get a little quicker from the jump in the game’s 10-foot races, he does have some power and balance through his stride to build upon and skates pretty well for his size and age. It’s hard to be a true top-of-the-lineup forward at his size, though, and I think he projects more as a complementary scorer who gives a lineup a bit of a different look. There’s a lot to work with though, for sure.

27. Jayden Perron — RW, Chicago Steel, 5-foot-9 

One of the USHL’s most talented and intelligent offensive players, Perron got off to a hot start, was briefly halted by an eight-game December stretch that saw him register just one assist, and then really turned it back on to play his best hockey down the stretch. He’s a player who has earned the respect of those around the USHL among both rival players and staff.

When you spend some time watching him and asking around about him, you quickly realize why. Perron, who didn’t go the popular prep-school route in western Canada, was a terror in Manitoba’s minor hockey ranks who stepped right into the titanic Steel last season and immediately flashed his skill with the puck, producing 48 points in 63 games to earn USHL All-Rookie Second Team honours. This year, he finished second among all under-18 USHL players in scoring to his teammate and projected 2024 top pick Macklin Celebrini. With the puck on his stick, he’s a treat to watch. Evasive. Slick. Problem-solving. Finesse. Manipulation. It’s all there. You want the play to run through his hands and brain.

He’s got some of the best soft skill in the draft. His size is obviously a talking point, and there’s a boom-or-bust element to his projection, but he’s a first-round talent and was a clear play-creator on a team with a few of them in Chicago this year. I expect him to become a top point producer in college at the University of North Dakota. Players with his on-ice smarts almost always make it these days and I expect him to be no different.

28. Ethan Gauthier — RW, Sherbrooke Phoenix, 5-foot-11

Gauthier, the No. 1 pick in the 2021 QMJHL draft and son of former 10-year NHLer Denis Gauthier, followed up a strong showing at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (where he scored six goals in five games) with a strong start to his draft year at the top of a stacked Sherbrooke lineup, before seeing his production taper off some as they added more talent ahead of the deadline and prepared for a deep playoff run.

He brings a lot to the table. He’s a versatile, hardworking player who excels in pretty much every facet of the game, gets to the middle of the ice, and makes plays around the net through skill and timing. He’s consistent shift-to-shift and game-to-game and while he might lack the dynamism of some of the players in front of him here, he can make plays in a variety of ways on and off the puck and the ice usually tilts in his team’s favour when he’s out there. He’s going to be an NHLer — I think the bigger question is whether he’s going to be more of a middle-six or a top-six one. I think the former outcome is the more likely, which is why I’d probably steer clear of him in the teens or early 20s (where some believe he belongs). He’s a good, effective hockey player though, there’s no question about that.

29. Otto Stenberg — C/LW, Frolunda HC, 5-foot-11

Stenberg was, coming into this season, viewed by many as the second-best Swedish prospect in this class to Carlsson after he played to nearly a point per game at the J20 level last year, looked like he belonged as an underager on the national team at U18 worlds, and impressed as Sweden’s leading scorer captain at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup (he also scored two Michigan goals last season and has continued to wear the ‘C’ for Sweden this season at events like the Five Nations, the World Jr. A Challenge, and U18 worlds, the latter of which he was tremendous in). Scouts are having a tough time slotting him due primarily to his so-so production this season at the J20 level (though he was better than his numbers reflected and didn’t look out of place in several stints with the SHL club).

He’s a crafty handler who hangs onto pucks to spin away from pressure, attacks in and out of crowds, makes plays into space for himself, and can comfortably make plays through layers to others. He’s also got an accurate shot from midrange, and regularly picks corners. I love the way he attacks on angles to help prevent defenders from taking him one-on-one (and to take pucks from the perimeter to the interior and create chaos around the slot/net). When he plays with pace and intention, he seems to have the puck all the time and he’s both effective and flashes his skill in all three zones. There have been times where he looks like he’s trying a little too hard to impress and make things happen instead of allowing the game to come to him, but even when things aren’t going his way and the points aren’t falling, I’ve always liked his involvement level, so it’s hard to get too down on him. He’s a smooth skater. He’s got smooth hands. He’s patient under pressure and can find his way out of trouble weaving and swerving through holes or away from sticks. He’s quick side-to-side on little jumps and drags. And he likes to try to take D one-on-one, which can result in some high-end plays but also some turnovers.

He’s a first-round talent who passes the eye test, and I think it’s only a matter of time until he starts to produce more consistently. I don’t think anyone who is familiar with his game would be surprised if he became a contributing top-nine forward at the NHL level someday.

30. Koehn Ziemmer — RW, Prince George Cougars, 6-feet 

Ziemmer is a December 2004 who was selected with the No. 4 pick in the 2019 Bantam Draft (a year ahead of when most of the plethora of other top WHL names on this list were selected). Last year, he led Prince George in goals (30) and finished second in points (57, one back of Heidt). This year, he finished in the WHL’s top 10 in goals (41) and points (89), though he has regressed a little after a hot start. He’s a strong, physically mature winger (some of which is a benefit of his 2004 birthday, some of which is him carrying a little too much weight, but some of which is obviously also a credit to the work the muscle he also has) who likes to shoot the puck and shoots it hard, but also regularly beats defenders and goalies one-on-one with a slick set of hands across his body so that they can’t plan for the shot. He has scored some highlight-reel goals in the WHL but he also excels at finding pockets of space off of coverage and remaining involved on offence and defence. And while he’s probably not going to be a star at the next level, and his skating needs some work, I like Ziemmer as a potential middle-six winger who can contribute offensively in a variety of ways, works hard, can play a heavy game on pucks or operate in and out of give-and-gos. He may be an early Day 2 guy when it’s all said and done but I’m a believer in him as a first-rounder.

31. Etienne Morin — LHD, Moncton Wildcats, 6 feet

The best 2023 D prospect in the CHL for my money this year, Morin had a tremendous season for the Wildcats, leading them in scoring with 72 points in the regular season before capping off his year with a sensational 17-in-12 playoff run where he was the driving force on the team in all areas. His underlying results defensively were strong all season, and he did it while also leading all QMJHL defencemen in goals (21) and generating the third-most shots by defencemen (213, or 3.2 per game).

He plays a highly involved game built around upper-echelon skill, a confidence and calm with the puck in all three zones, above-average skating (though I wouldn’t call it a strength and it can look a little upright at times), and a sound understanding of when and where he can impact play. He outlets the zone well, joins and supports the play effectively, and reads and anticipates well.

Defensively, his game is also physical and competitive — and has rounded out nicely thanks to all the reps he got this year. Though he didn’t produce his points in a super flashy way and doesn’t project as a true top-end defenceman, his precision, decent athleticism, overall skill and execution give him legitimate top-four aspirations.

32. Alex Ciernik — LW/RW, Södertälje SK, 5-foot-11

Viewed as a mid-round pick by most, Ciernik is a player I diverge from the public and private scouting communities on. He’s one of the older players on this list (October 2004) but was also one of the most productive under-18 players at the J20 level last year, a top performer on the second line (with Dvorsky) as one of the younger players at his Hlinka Gretzky Cup, and Slovakia’s leading scorer in their promotion win in the Division 1A U18 World Championship (his 12 points were one more than Dvorsky). This year, he was pretty clearly one of the most talented players in J20 whenever he was there, showed some really positive signs in spurts in HockeyAllsvenskan (where he was actually equally as productive on a rate basis as Dvorsky), and I liked him at the world juniors before a quiet quarterfinal against Team Canada.

He’s an up-tempo playmaker and dynamic skater (in straight lines, through his three-step acceleration from a standstill, and around corners through his crossovers) who looks to involve himself more than you might expect at his size. He thrives in transition creating breakaways and putting defenders on their heels with his speed and plays with a ton of confidence and swagger on the puck as a deft handler. And while he creates a lot off the rush, he also has the finer skills to play the flank on the power play, create inside the offensive zone, finish from mid-range (he’s got a nifty release) and dice up coverage. Once the true cream of the crop in this class are gone, he’s the kind of talent I’d swing on in the second round.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Some outside scouts have been suggesting teams internally are higher on honzek then public lists. I’m really curious whEre he will be on Bobby Macs final.

Simashev and But are interesting too. So many scouts have said they like Simashev the most but never mock him higher or rank him as their number 1 D but say he is. I’ve not seen them play really though.

Wood I am starting to drink the koolaid a little.

i mean he is young, he is skilled, he is big, he is a natural goal scorer, he wants to play C and probably will next year in the NCAA.

if next year he plays C, it goes well and as he matures and works on his skating he could be an absolute monster that every team regrets passing on.

i def think going outside of the top 10 would be best for him. Cause if he gets rushed to the NHL it could not give him the best chance to become a Tage Thompson level impact guy. 

im pretty intrigued  by him and he impressed me at the u18s cause I’ve been tough on Him all year. He’s won we over. If we took him at 11 I’d be excited. 

Yeah I'm getting the same sense about Honzek. Was maybe the biggest reason I wanted to pose the question. I sometimes wonder if scouts on Bob's list are keeping certain cards closer to the chest with their rankings. But I was also curious what people thought about But after McCagg and co. ranked him #4. I remember watching that stacked 2021 Hlinkas team, I distinctly remember I was impressed enough by this big #25 centering the 4th line to look him up. Turns out he's under-aged. My first reaction was "what a dumb name, he'll never go anywhere" and then I forgot about him for a long time.

But yeah Wood went up a couple spots with his U18s for me. I'm still not convinced I see a center though. Kinda feel like his decision making isn't always snappy. Wouldn't be disappointed with Wood at 11 though. Wouldn't be too disappointed with Honzek there either. Any Russians aside from Michkov would make me very nervous. Halttunen or Edstrom I'd be a little uneasy about at 11.

One other thing though, I have a new hobbyhorse and it is Eduard Sale. Dude. He's a shit brick house in junior at 168. He gets his body between opposing players and pucks and people just bounce off him. 6'2 so the frame is there. He'll be a project and a waiting game but I'm starting to think could end up being one of the stars of the draft.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

I agree whole heartedly. We will see how this draft goes. Fingers and toes crossed for some grit. 

I see it almost like stealth rebuilding. We aren't going after the Knies you know what I mean? Guys who will be great depth for playoff runs you can call up from the minors while they develop. I see us taking a Benson/Sale super high upside guy. Like if we were in a rebuild those are the guys I would want. Your future franchise guy Zegras/Cooley. 

This is very likely the outcome. Think Allvin already alluded to this during his pressers that he wanted high end talent. 3Cs could be found in free agency. 
Well to me nothing wrong with a 3C floor both Kesler and Horvat were that kind of players, and Kesler in particular is the kind of player we could be done with... we shall se Hammer. 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Excited about this draft.  Always seem to be a couple of high end players that go between 10-16.  Hoping Canucks can nab one.  

Moore, Leonard, Wood, Dvorsky, Pellikka, Reinbacher….really curious how this draft order pans out.

There is my wish list at 11 in writing...  cheers Goose

• Cheers 1

hmm.

well the RHD and Center spots are fully open save the first ten guys.

I do hope ASP and or reinbacher  drop and or we look to a few moves to add depth.

the acid in my tears from watching Forsling is just further reason to select d men in the draft and we have never had any point in this franchise were we had enough defensive depth.

the closet point was the 2011 run and it wasn’t quite enough.

Look at the teams that are draft defenders, they have defenders to trade.

Look at what trades for defenders can get and you actually need less defenders to ice a team.

By sheer logic alone.

if you take who you think project to be the best D men, you will invariably draft d and you can draft a Forsling type player and then keep them, but that low low price of a 5th round pick sure will be a lot less than the trade value and or FA contract if Forsling ever hits FA.

What value would Forsling get at the next TDL or prior to this years draft?

Hronek got 18th OA.

This is why you seek to develop and promote your D men and draft them.

the fools that solely look a play with the puck to define the success rate in draft picks and overemphasis the risk factor in drafting D men in the first round are not watching the game, they are watching the numbers.

We need one more younger D man to make the trio of legit 1,2,3 for our top two pairings.

this would give the ones that need more time to develop exactly that.

I will be not watching the draft from picks 8-10 as it mind boggling that Det, Wash, and Stl are drafting ahead of us.

It’s so frustrating to see every pick save the first one in 2014 turn out to have addressed real needs for our club.

JV… the one that should have been traded away.

McCann.  The one we need 

Demko.  We would be lost without him.

Trymakin.  Big mobile RHD.  Had WD not been our coach, what could he have done with NHL coaching and development?  As a trade some team would have given up a decent valued asset had he not fit in in Vancouver.

Forsling.  The RHD we have needed.  Traded away for a puff of smoke in the AHL.

Even with JV as a failed top six pick.

This draft was excellent in Amateur scouting.

terrible asset management and pro scouting lead to this being sour grapes except for Demko.

It gives a fan a the sensation of pre ‘blue balls’.

For the ladies on the CDC.

if you feel an ache down low when you review the 2014 draft.

like you have been kicked, and are bruised inside and can’t tell where.

until the pain gets super bad…

that’s the feeling one gets right after one of you ladies has kicked us in the nards, but it hasn’t quite hit our brain fully.

that’s what sensation I get when I look at our 2014 draft.

Demko saves the worst.

lol.  

8 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

It’s so frustrating to see every pick save the first one in 2014 turn out to have addressed real needs for our club.

McCann.  The one we need 

Trymakin.  Big mobile RHD.  Had WD not been our coach, what could he have done with NHL coaching and development?  As a trade some team would have given up a decent valued asset had he not fit in in Vancouver.

terrible asset management and pro scouting lead to this being sour grapes except for Demko.

that’s the feeling one gets right after one of you ladies has kicked us in the nards, but it hasn’t quite hit our brain fully.

Demko saves the worst.

lol.  

Agree with your points except Forsling and Tryamkin are both left handed. 

https://recrutes.ca

2023 DRAFT RANKINGS

RANK POS. PLAYER TEAM LEAGUE
1 C Connor Bedard Regina WHL
2 C Adam Fantilli Michigan BIG10
3 RW Matvei Michkov SKA KHL
4 C Daniil But Lokomtiv USHL
5 C Dalibor Dvorsky AIK SWE-2
6 LW/C Leo Carlsson Orebro SHL
7 RD David Reinbacher Kloten NLA
8 RW Zach Benson Winnipeg WHL
9 LD Mikhail Gulyayev Omsk MHL
10 C Nate Danielson Brandon WHL

Smith, Leonard and Sale outside of the top 10 is very interesting.  Didn't notice it the first time I looked at the rankings when But was mentioned. 

I'm assuming that this ranking is not Grant McCaggs own personal ranking and is instead some sort of consolidation amongst all their scouts?

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, TheQuietQuitter said:

https://recrutes.ca

2023 DRAFT RANKINGS

RANK POS. PLAYER TEAM LEAGUE
1 C Connor Bedard Regina WHL
2 C Adam Fantilli Michigan BIG10
3 RW Matvei Michkov SKA KHL
4 C Daniil But Lokomtiv USHL
5 C Dalibor Dvorsky AIK SWE-2
6 LW/C Leo Carlsson Orebro SHL
7 RD David Reinbacher Kloten NLA
8 RW Zach Benson Winnipeg WHL
9 LD Mikhail Gulyayev Omsk MHL
10 C Nate Danielson Brandon WHL

Smith, Leonard and Sale outside of the top 10 is very interesting.  Didn't notice it the first time I looked at the rankings when But was mentioned. 

I'm assuming that this ranking is not Grant McCaggs own personal ranking and is instead some sort of consolidation amongst all their scouts?

Isn’t But slotted a lot lower in most other rankings?  

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Isn't Wood's skating really bad?

I like a big scorer, but that criticism is a tough one to look past (perhaps he's improved by now?).

Lots of hype around Wood, probably because Celebrini made him look good at the U18.

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

hmm.

well the RHD and Center spots are fully open save the first ten guys.

I do hope ASP and or reinbacher  drop and or we look to a few moves to add depth.

the acid in my tears from watching Forsling is just further reason to select d men in the draft and we have never had any point in this franchise were we had enough defensive depth.

the closet point was the 2011 run and it wasn’t quite enough.

Look at the teams that are draft defenders, they have defenders to trade.

Look at what trades for defenders can get and you actually need less defenders to ice a team.

By sheer logic alone.

if you take who you think project to be the best D men, you will invariably draft d and you can draft a Forsling type player and then keep them, but that low low price of a 5th round pick sure will be a lot less than the trade value and or FA contract if Forsling ever hits FA.

What value would Forsling get at the next TDL or prior to this years draft?

Hronek got 18th OA.

This is why you seek to develop and promote your D men and draft them.

the fools that solely look a play with the puck to define the success rate in draft picks and overemphasis the risk factor in drafting D men in the first round are not watching the game, they are watching the numbers.

We need one more younger D man to make the trio of legit 1,2,3 for our top two pairings.

this would give the ones that need more time to develop exactly that.

I will be not watching the draft from picks 8-10 as it mind boggling that Det, Wash, and Stl are drafting ahead of us.

Drop?  Neither of them are really ranked high enough to say they'd drop to Van.  I expect both to be there when Van picks, given their rankings

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

McCann.  The one we need 

Demko saves the worst.

lol.  

Don't pretend forsling was some outstanding player they just ditched.  No one really cared at the time and he did t go from Van to being an NHL player

21 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

The problem is he just doesn't look like anything that special. Such a smart, safe, responsible puck-mover, but he's nowhere near the dynamic offensive skill of a guy like Gulyayev. To draft a defenseman under 6'0 in the top ten, - especially in a draft this loaded with talented forwards - they better have offensive upside in the range of guys like Hughes and Makar... Sandin-Pellikka is not that guy.

I really commend you for having your guns and sticking to em. If you will allow me to offer my opinion. While Gulyayev isn't defensively deficient like some other posters suggest he is also not nearly as effective as Pellikka is in the D zone at separating pucks from guys with constant bumps, body position, and stick pokes. Neither of the players you mention frequently Gulyayev or Minitian are "that guy" (Hughes/Makar) either though. I think Minitian is a solid mid 2nd rounder and I think if Gulyayev shot right and wasn't russian he might be in consideration for a top 10 pick even while not being Hughes Makar level. 

ASP 5'11 181lbs I think he's probably closer to 185 hopefully we see him at the combine id like to see where he's at fitness wise I think he will have a strong wingate.

Gulyayev 5'10 170 

Aram Minitian 5'11 192 is his listing on USNDP or 6'0 170 on EP again hope to see him at the combine.

While I agree Gulyayev's skating is the best in class he's a bit of an ankle biter when it comes to physical contests. Credit where credit is due he is willing to engage even if he isn't very effective at this time. There is hope as he gets stronger. One of the reasons I had bought the Hughes hype in his draft year was his willingness to engage physically and one of my criticisms of his brother Jack was he did not nearly as often or with any vigor.  If you're going to make it in the NHL at this size you have to be hard af on pucks Axel IMO is far more effective than these 2 in this regard without overstating it none of them are Pronger here. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Don't pretend forsling was some outstanding player they just ditched.  No one really cared at the time and he did t go from Van to being an NHL player

I never pretended Forsling was a blue chip talent?

I did say he was traded for a puff of smoke in the AHL and he would be a d man exactly as we need, except handedness.

unless you liked the Clendenning trade?

I thought they both played RHD as a position,

also, Trymakin is 6’7.

you go tell him that because he is left handed he can’t play RHD!

I can’t skate around his reach any better than you can, and it’s so gigantic that I don’t think handedness matters,

Edited by Phat Fingers

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

I would be over the moon if we got Pellikka

Could contain: Hockey, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Stick, Rink, Skating, Sport, Helmet, Person

Please.

his mobility and solid core is a great fit for our blue line.

he gains an inch of height or two and he is NHL sized.

Hits like his is already.