The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Possible PTO's (Training Camp)

Rate this topic

BureBurrito

ETA about 6 weeks until training camp and there are still a few names out there that the team could look at bringing in as a PTO. 

CanucksArmy 9 players who could be looked at for a PTO

I like the idea of ZAR, Stralman and DeHaan. I'd even throw in Motte (for a 1 year show me contract again).

For an Owen Nolan PTO category, I'd love to see PK Subban (likely stays East or retires).

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

why the ever loving hell hasnt Subban been contacted?

I hope they’ll consider him. If a few more weeks go by and he isn’t signed, I’d love to see a PTO offered, perhaps leading to a cheap one year “show me” deal.

His game has clearly fallen off with age, but he’s more than capable as a 3RD or bottom-four, and actually could be a good fit here IMO.

Last season he wasn’t even half bad (ignoring the salary, of course). He doesn’t put up the points he once did, but the 2021-22 season actually saw Subban post underlyings suggestive of the most positive defensive/penalty kill impacts he’s had in 5+ years (2.3 EVD GAR, 1.6 SHD GAR), per Evolving Hockey). And he had an overall player impact of 1.2 WAR (7 GAR), which are actually better fancy stats than any of our current RHDs (including Myers and Schenn) have managed in 10+ years.

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Seem to show Allvin was correct in his assesment

This statement implies that Allvin was not a fan of Motte's play, but I believe it was more about not being able to afford a legitimate fourth liner in a tight, tight cap world. Motte would have been looking for 2-3 million AAV on his next contract and no fourth liner is worth that much in the market. He's a really good, honest, hard-working guy, but unless he agrees to league minimum, he won't be coming back to Vancouver.

Some very interesting names on the list but our forward group is already super deep as is our bottom pairing RD group.  Funny to say but DeHaan to push Rathbone might be best of the group, especially if the plan is to try OEL on the right and Poolman is a question mark.

Hughes-OEL

DeHaan-Myers

Rathbone-Schenn

Dermott first man up either side?

For the rest, not saying I wouldn’t be interested since depth is so critical… just don’t expect this group to really move the needle despite the name recognition. 

Edited by ilduce39
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

This statement implies that Allvin was not a fan of Motte's play, but I believe it was more about not being able to afford a legitimate fourth liner in a tight, tight cap world. Motte would have been looking for 2-3 million AAV on his next contract and no fourth liner is worth that much in the market. He's a really good, honest, hard-working guy, but unless he agrees to league minimum, he won't be coming back to Vancouver.

jason-dickinson-2022-39.jpg

if Aston-Reese is in contact with the Canucks, don't give him a PTO give him a 1-2 year contract; same with Johan Larsson.

Aston-Reese - Lazar  would be 2/3rds of a really useful 4th line.

Stralman, Simon, de Haan, Ritchie would all be fine on PTOs to bring competition to camp, but I would doubt any actually make it. Also Michael Stone who isn't on that list.

• Cheers 1