The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-23 Abbotsford Canucks Thread

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

This is weird. Calgary team is the best in the AHL based on the regular season and should have more home games than Abby Canucks... 

They sort of do, one of the games in Abby, Calgary will be the "home team" getting last change and such.

Calgary also gets 2 guaranteed games at home, I imagine playoff home game revenue is a huge deal for AHL teams.

Hoping the Canucks can continue where they left off in their mini series at the end of the regular season, I didn't have the chance during round one but will definitely try and make a round 2 game in Abby!

8 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Calgary also gets 2 guaranteed games at home, I imagine playoff home game revenue is a huge deal for AHL teams.

Hoping the Canucks can continue where they left off in their mini series at the end of the regular season, I didn't have the chance during round one but will definitely try and make a round 2 game in Abby!

Hopefully that 3 game series to end the season sets Abby up for a winning series. Flames had already sent those players they had papered down for that series. Abby didn't have Wolanin or Juulson at that time. Hopefully Podz gets into the fray. 

• Like 2

Calgary has a lot of fire power but we played them pretty well last 3 games. 

Hogs line has been red hot so hopefully that continues. Hogs has improved his 200' game by leaps and bounds and should easily make our top 9 on the big team in the fall.

Dowling/ Karlsson line will need to start producing to balance out the attack and the PP needs to connect this round.

One player that may not have stood out on the scoresheet but looks really good is Arshdeep Bains. Great defensive awareness, PK and good hockey IQ out there. 

Not sure if he makes the big club in the next year or two but if he does, it will be his D game that gets him there. Could be a good PK option and 4th liner for Van. Needs to work on his skating.

Both teams have great goaltending right now so should be the difference in the series.

Just nice to have one Canucks team playing meaningful games and what better opportunity to add some salt to the Flames wounds this year!

8 hours ago, Googlie said:

Prolly the same as we were thinking when we put our farm team in Chicago!!

A little different tho. Winnipeg moved home and they took over the Manitoba Moose franchise. We were forced to look for our own franchise. Chicago is not owned by any NHL club so they switched to them temporarily. The. Peoria Rivermen come available and Aqua man pulled the trigger and bought the club and moved them to Utica because Calgary had put their farm club in Abby. But at least we finally owned our own farm team. 

Calgary on the other hand signs a 10 year agreement with Abbotsford and pulls the team out early because of financial issues. They weren’t forced there, they friggin chose Abby lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And even more so for Winnipeg!! Kevin Bieksa 2005-06 AHL Top Prospects Manitoba Moose | eBay

The Jets hadn’t moved home yet. The Moose were the only game in town back then…the crowds were frickin awesome for our young players.

edit. Geez never mind I should have read kootneys reply. Sorry lol

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The move to Winnipeg for the farm team in 2001 was actually a good move as Winnipeg did not have an NHL team at the time as it moved to AZ around 1996 or thereabouts. Lots of players and coaches had successful careers after cutting their teeth in the minors, 

It was the Winnipeg Moose that found Alex Burrows for us. Forever thankful for that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

It's funny how I was hoping these 2 teams will match up in the playoffs. While the Canucks have a 4-8 record, they have been playing so well lately. Here is my cowtown scouting report:

I could see the Canucks winning if they get bodies in front of Wolf. He is an elite goalie, but shots seem to always find a way to bounce in during traffic. Laterally he is one of the best that I have ever seen.

Phillips a high skill tweener, however has been a bit inconsistent after sitting in the Flames press box. Doesn't seem to do well against physical teams like Ontario/Henderson.

Duehr - My favorite Wrangler, plays a similar high skill pest game like Bunting.

Poirier- high skilled rookie defenceman, but has had his defensive gaffs 

2 hours ago, jatylo said:

It's funny how I was hoping these 2 teams will match up in the playoffs. While the Canucks have a 4-8 record, they have been playing so well lately. Here is my cowtown scouting report:

I could see the Canucks winning if they get bodies in front of Wolf. He is an elite goalie, but shots seem to always find a way to bounce in during traffic. Laterally he is one of the best that I have ever seen.

Phillips a high skill tweener, however has been a bit inconsistent after sitting in the Flames press box. Doesn't seem to do well against physical teams like Ontario/Henderson.

Duehr - My favorite Wrangler, plays a similar high skill pest game like Bunting.

Poirier- high skilled rookie defenceman, but has had his defensive gaffs 

Abby knocked the Oiler AHL team out and now move on to the Flames. Prediction: Abby in 4 games. MVP Wolanin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

tempting to buy tickets in calgary for game 2. $46 a seat isn't too bad for playoff hockey. 

Saddledome? If so I wonder if they sell it out? I was there to watch a pro lacrosse game and there was 12,000 there. Been to lots of Flamer/Canuck games and it was always sold out. Great atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Abby knocked the Oiler AHL team out and now move on to the Flames. Prediction: Abby in 4 games. MVP Wolanin. 

Yeah Wolanin is solid and really controls the play. Plus it's easy to see with the eye test that Hogs is a NHL regular. I still believe it will take all 5 games.

Tas if only my spare seat wasn't already claimed, it would have been fun cheering on the Nucks with you.