The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Jonathan Huberdeau

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

I wouldn’t be so worried about his production at the tail end of his contract. It’s unlikely Miller who plays a grittier game than Huberdeau.

Playmakers of Huberdeau stature usually plays at a high level well into their late 30s. You look at players like Joe Thornton who scored 82 points at the age of 36.

From Bader:  This is a look at all forwards that were drafted from 1990 to 2003 who played at least 200 games, had a career point-per-game pace of 0.8+ AND registered over 60% of their points from assists (elite playmakers).  The ones drafted after 2003 that meet the other criteria are all still playing. Gaudreau and Huberdeau both fit these parameters btw.

8 yrs for a guy who already peaked lol

huberdeau will find out real quick he has no Barkov to take some of the pressure off of him in cowtown.

if they load up with lindholm and huberdeau on the top line, the Lames have mangipane - backlund and toffoli as a second line which is garbage. Their 3rd line would be even weaker. I don’t see a lot offence on that team next year.

I hope they sign weegar to a franchise defenceman type salary (he’s not one) to screw up their cap even more. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I could see the Flames going hard for JT Miller if he falls to FA next off-season. 

Both Lucic and Monahan will be gone next year. They'll have money to spend and seem to be going balls to the wall.

Seems like he fits a big need for them too. Could use another solid C with Lindholm and Backlund is 33 and expires in 2 years.

Apparently, some people here are totally ok with Miller walking to FA, instead of trading him for assets. :lol:

10 hours ago, VanCan2023 said:

There both the same age! Lots of positivity Hub signing a 8 year deal, however the thoughts here seem to be anything more than 4 years is to much for Miller. Wake up call folks, if you want stars your going to pay and pay. 

Make no mistake. 
The Canuck stars are Hughes, Petey and Demko and they will get paid.

With also an expensive RHD I don’t know how to fit an aging pro like Huberdeau, Gadreau or Miller. No matter who it is.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Apparently, some people here are totally ok with Miller walking to FA, instead of trading him for assets. :lol:

He would still be traded at the TDL but he might not sign with that team and prefer testing the market.  TDL trades are mostly rentals.

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Probably sets market for JT at 8X9.5 which is why he really probably needs trading unfortunately. 
To bad cap is such a mess. 

Just because Treliving feels the need to grossly overpay Huberdough in no way means we (or any other team) should be so incredibly stupid.  This Huberdough contract is now top five worst in the league.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Just because Treliving feels the need to grossly overpay Huberdough in no way means we (or any other team) should be so incredibly stupid.  This Huberdough contract is now top five worst in the league.  

Agent will point to that anyway. He will get 9.5X7 as UFA I would expect. 

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Boudreau's players respect him; Sutter got locked out of his own dressing room because he's a complete scumbag.  The Flamers got damn lucky if they managed to find someone who actually likes living in one of the worst cities in North America in front of the worst people in the country.  Most players have more self-respect than that, including Miller.

Hahaha easy it's not that bad of a city.. haha it's not Edmonton or Winnipeg or Regina hahaha   calgarys not bad 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Agent will point to that anyway. He will get 9.5X7 as UFA I would expect. 

JR will trade Miller.  Any team so stupid as to overpay a guy by so much as the Cowpies just did are stupidly desperate.  They are guaranteed to be stinky losers.  Can’t wait to watch Huberdough float around and cheat to find offence.  He will be in Sutter’s doghouse and the drama will be wonderful to watch.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Vermette9 said:

Hahaha easy it's not that bad of a city.. haha it's not Edmonton or Winnipeg or Regina hahaha   calgarys not bad 

Regina and Winnipeg are far superior cities to Cowpieville.  Better quality people.  

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Probably sets market for JT at 8X9.5 which is why he really probably needs trading unfortunately. 
To bad cap is such a mess. 

Waited too long to make a trade imo waited too long to re-sign.. I don’t see any scenario JT re-signs in Vancouver for anything less than 9 or less than 7 years now that hub signing that starts at 30 will be used as a benchmark for Miller. He’s not going to get 10.5 but he ain’t going to be looking for less than 9 on a max 8 or 9.5 on a 7.. we keep hearing who will pay those contracts? Every year there’s a team that’ll pay those contracts. Next year will be no difference. 

teams that originally might trade for miller would possible intent to re-sign him.. prolly lowers their offer even more now that they prolly unlikely to re-sign him at the projected number thx to hub contract.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What are your top 5 worst contracts?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regina and Winnipeg are far superior cities to Cowpieville.  Better quality people.  

Hahhaha OK..... I've been here off and on my whole life..  every city has douche bags. Ive run into some pretty loser people in van too..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

We've seen this show before...the Canucks are now in a position of having less leverage (again) unfortunately.

They needed to pull the trigger last trade deadline or by the draft at the latest to avoid where they're at now, which imo is they'll either lose him for nothing or more likely end up taking way less at this years TDL than they could have "settled" for at the last TDL or the draft.

I get that new management wanted the home run deal. I mean who wouldn't? But at some point the market and the CAP take whatever leverage we think we had away and now we sit and wait hoping that all the possible worst case scenario's don't happen...JT injury and/or JT point production drops to his historical norms.  

I don't mean to sound sour on our team but I am starting to feel a bit discouraged. This is the Canucks after all.

• Vintage 3

6 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

We've seen this show before...the Canucks are now in a position of having less leverage (again) unfortunately.

They needed to pull the trigger last trade deadline or by the draft at the latest to avoid where they're at now, which imo is they'll either lose him for nothing or more likely end up taking way less at this years TDL than they could have "settled" for at the last TDL or the draft.

I get that new management wanted the home run deal. I mean who wouldn't? But at some point the market and the CAP take whatever leverage we think we had away and now we sit and wait hoping that all the possible worst case scenario's don't happen...JT injury and/or JT point production drops to his historical norms.  

I don't mean to sound sour on our team but I am starting to feel a bit discouraged. This is the Canucks after all.

IMHAO we had a trade several weeks before the 2022 TDL but our owner saw the rules about occupancy going back to 100% and that, combined with the team winning and chasing a playoff spot, had him step in a recommend (to JR) we keep Miller for the revenue generated down the stretch.  That’s why JR announced Miller was off the market.  

16 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Good points; and perhaps, as a first time GM he might had wanted to make a splash with Miller.  Hopefully, this situation will make him a better GM.  As for Miller, worst case he walks and Allvin takes the cap space or he takes an underwhelming return.  Either way, Millers' demand & age are just not compatible with the current state of the Canucks.

Edited by ShawnAntoski