The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Nazem Kadri

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

You clearly think miller is a franchise player and what you're saying is that you think kadri is as well?  

Just an FYI, you do know Kadri plays in all situations too right?  He's on the PP, he's on the PK, he's out there in the final minutes of a game to keep a lead because up until last year, his faceoff % was among the best in the league at 52 to 56% between 2018 to 2021.  Know your player before you spout off about how much worse he is than JT Miller.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, I see it more as leverage for Miller, who is a much better player than Kadri.

I hear you. But I was more thinking about the teams who may have been hot on Kadri might have no choice but to get hot on Miller now.

But yeah, JT being younger and better than Kadri is not going to settle for any “friendly” dollar amount for the Canucks. I love JT, but he’s gotta go….IF Rutherford can successfully renovate our D with the return.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He may have played behind MacKinnon, he had far better linemates and defence than he'll have in Calgary, while playing together matchups.  No matter what that unqualified moron Jfresh is trying to say with his charts, people who actually understand the game can expect a serious regression.  Kadri is comparable to Kesler and is a good 2C or a weak 1C.

The Office Yes GIF

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller is a far more effective overall player than kadri is.  Not even comparable to me.  Kadei is a great complimentary player, but he's never going to be "the" guy.  Miller is that player.  Would you do Miller for Kadri straight up?

Honestly it depends. If Miller's cap hit ends up being something like 9M then yes, I take Kadri and use that extra 2M to upgrade a different part of the lineup. Also, if I'm in Calgary's situation of a 3 year window to win now then their age difference doesn't really matter to me. Adding to that, Calgary already has a bonafide 1C in Lindholm and a top 5 winger in the league in Huberdeau so getting a player who has shown they can score around a PPG pace in a 2C role is likely more valuable than a center/winger hybrid that can score around a PPG pace on the top line.

If they are exactly the same cap hit I've already said I would take Miller as I said he's worth 0.5M more if they were the same age. Considering Miller is 2.5 years younger, he's probably worth closer to 1M more since he should be able to maintain his pace slightly longer.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

As many of us have said from the start, Millers ask will start with an 8, at the very very bare minimum and definitely max term.  Kadri's contract pretty much guarantees that now.

No, YOU have guaranteed that in your head.  It's clear the cap situation across the league is gonna have a MAJOR impact on how much JT Miller gets.  You somehow think there's free flowing cap space all over the league to sign JT Miller to a $65 to $70M+ deal at 30 years old. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Just an FYI, you do know Kadri plays in all situations too right?  He's on the PP, he's on the PK, he's out there in the final minutes of a game to keep a lead because up until last year, his faceoff % was among the best in the league at 52 to 56% between 2018 to 2021.  Know your player before you spout off about how much worse he is than JT Miller.

I clearly have a higher opinion of Miller than you, despite your fanboy tendencies over the last 4-5 months.  Miller is "the guy" in Van and will likely be that for whomever he signs with........Kadri is "the" guy who plays behind your top guy and benefits from getting easier matchups than your 1c.

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

Honestly it depends. If Miller's cap hit ends up being something like 9M then yes, I take Kadri and use that extra 2M to upgrade a different part of the lineup. Also, if I'm in Calgary's situation of a 3 year window to win now then their age difference doesn't really matter to me. Adding to that, Calgary already has a bonafide 1C in Lindholm and a top 5 winger in the league in Huberdeau so getting a player who has shown they can score around a PPG pace in a 2C role is likely more valuable than a center/winger hybrid that can score around a PPG pace on the top line.

If they are exactly the same cap hit I've already said I would take Miller as I said he's worth 0.5M more if they were the same age. Considering Miller is 2.5 years younger, he's probably worth closer to 1M more since he should be able to maintain his pace slightly longer.

THANK YOU.  I was LITERALLY just about to post that.  If Miller is at $8.5 to $9M, I take Kadri at $7M any time, any day.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

No, YOU have guaranteed that in your head.  It's clear the cap situation across the league is gonna have a MAJOR impact on how much JT Miller gets.  You somehow think there's free flowing cap space all over the league to sign JT Miller to a $65 to $70M+ deal at 30 years old. 

Did this "cap situation" effect JH?  How about JG?  Or Forsberg?  What about Kadri?

Newsflash, it ain't going to affect Miller either.......there will always be teams that pay up for those guys.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I clearly have a higher opinion of Miller than you, despite your fanboy tendencies over the last 4-5 months.  Miller is "the guy" in Van and will likely be that for whomever he signs with........Kadri is "the" guy who plays behind your top guy and benefits from getting easier matchups than your 1c.

No, you don't.  I clearly have a higher opinion of Kadri than you do.  That's the difference :picard:

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I hear you. But I was more thinking about the teams who may have been hot on Kadri might have no choice but to get hot on Miller now.

But yeah, JT being younger and better than Kadri is not going to settle for any “friendly” dollar amount for the Canucks. I love JT, but he’s gotta go….IF Rutherford can successfully renovate our D with the return.

NYI was the only team after Kadri.  Lamoriello didn't want to give up a 1st round pick to clear cap to sign Kadri so why would he now give up a 1st to acquire Miller.

Other than the outlier season last year he looks like a 50-60 point player who just cashed in big for his retirement contract.  Could be solid for the next 2-3 years but yikes after that, but Tre will probably unload him at some point.

Anyhow, it will be easy to hate that team even more now what that cheap shot artist on it.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup even as a direct money comparable you could come up with 6x$9.5 or 7x&$8 but Miller is better and far younger he's not going to take either of those.

Like you said this gives his agent massive leverage as those 2 guys are signed until 39 meaning an 8 year deal or comparable 7 year for more money is their ask. Forget about 6 years. Could you imagine if you're Miller in 7 years making the same cash but being 2.5 years younger? 

I can't.

Yeah we only want to sign Miller like players to landeskog type deals. But we need to be a top team for that. Lucky for us Miller peaking when we are IMO multiple years away from our Colorado like window ( hopefully have a window lol ). Every star needs to shave a mill or 2 off their long term deals in order to bring in more stars to push you over the top. As we all know we aren't in a position to be convincing guys to do that right now. Hopefully the Islanders/ rangers / NJ gets desperate. I think they doooooo

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd put Miller closer to JH, as a player, than Kadri.  Term is the issue, not aav and this just further reinforces the idea that Miller will be asking for and will get max term on his next deal. 

First of all…

Miller is not as good as JH ($10.5M) and JG ($9.75M) production wise throughout their careers.

Miller seems to fall in line somewhere between with what Forsberg ($8.5M) and Kadri ($7M) signed.

So using that as a basis…

$8.5M x 6yrs = $51M

$7.75 x 7yrs = $54.25M

$7M x 8yrs = $56M

Pretty much in the ballpark that I suggested in previous posts.  Around the $50M mark.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

30 & 32 signed for 8 and 7 respectively. We are scared of OEL @ 35 and JT at 37; imagine Hub at 38 or Kadri at 39!

It is good to remember that just because your neighbours house is on fire; your own garage burning up can not be considered good news :)

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

First of all…

Miller is not as good as JH ($10.5M) and JG ($9.75M) production wise throughout their careers.

Miller seems to fall in line somewhere between with what Forsberg ($8.5M) and Kadri ($7M) signed.

So using that as a basis…

$8.5M x 6yrs = $51M

$7.75 x 7yrs = $54.25M

$7M x 8yrs = $56M

Pretty much in the ballpark that I suggested in previous posts.  Around the $50M mark.

Not to mention JG and JH were literally #2 and #3 overall in league scoring lol

Calgary’s GM has got to be the best one out there right now. 

He faced a crisis with 2 of his star players wanting out and did a fantastic job dealing with the situation.

Unlike the stunned one who would always “run out of time” 

1BEBF834-558D-4B17-8E2C-C6C8770697E5.jpeg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

Miller is a far more effective overall player than kadri is.  Not even comparable to me.  Kadei is a great complimentary player, but he's never going to be "the" guy.  Miller is that player.  Would you do Miller for Kadri straight up?

I wouldn't because I think Kadri's a big time dirtbag... But besides my bias, JT Miller is a notch above Kadri however not a completely different level. 

Miller's PPG is slightly higher, Kadri has a cup, and Miller has been primarily been used as a 1st line player while Kadri has been a second line guy when everyone is healthy.