The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Nazem Kadri

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

As many of us have said from the start, Millers ask will start with an 8, at the very very bare minimum and definitely max term.  Kadri's contract pretty much guarantees that now.

Yup some folks are seemingly unable to calculate the $$ 2.5 years is equal to. At this median age point it's large. Very large!

I hope JR is on the phone with someone right now and arranging a farewell party.

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wouldn't because I think Kadri's a big time dirtbag... But besides my bias, JT Miller is a notch above Kadri however not a completely different level. 

Miller's PPG is slightly higher, Kadri has a cup, and Miller has been primarily been used as a 1st line player while Kadri has been a second line guy when everyone is healthy. 

The "Kadri is a 2nd line guy" thing is rubbish.  Where do you think JT Miller would slot in as a centre if he were playing for Toronto or Colorado?  Oh yeah, I could totally see him dethroning Auston Matthews or Nathan Mackinnon.

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup some folks are seemingly unable to calculate the $$ 2.5 years is equal to. At this median age point it's large. Very large!

I hope JR is on the phone with someone right now and arranging a farewell party.

Quite possible.

Now that Kadri is off the market, there may be some talks picking up from other teams to see who’s available.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is good to remember that just because your neighbours house is on fire; your own garage burning up can not be considered good news :)

I'm not arguing that those two contracts won't be awesome for us an their end, just that people praise Calgary and shit bow us. In the end, Calgary is a better team than they were in June in my opinion; they will be in cup contention for next 2-3 years, then the wheels fall of (goaltending, defense, aging off players, etc.). 

Allvin needs to pay attention to what calgary did with Monahan, and take some garbage out on out end. Trading some picks (2/3rds) to offload contarcts and complete a trade or two for some Defenseman is the right play.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

First of all…

Miller is not as good as JH ($10.5M) and JG ($9.75M) production wise throughout their careers.

Miller seems to fall in line somewhere between with what Forsberg ($8.5M) and Kadri ($7M) signed.

So using that as a basis…

$8.5M x 6yrs = $51M

$7.75 x 7yrs = $54.25M

$7M x 8yrs = $56M

Pretty much in the ballpark that I suggested in previous posts.  Around the $50M mark.

He's not as good as JH, no argument here.  I'd argue he's close to JG when you factor in his overall game, however.  Ultimately, he's the franchise guy, whereas Kadri is not....... thus I don't see Miller coming in less than $1.5 over Kadri

So they Traded a First and Monahan to Montreal to be able to pull this off?

Calgary going all in  dedicating big $$ to a couple 30+ yr old guys that probably wont be as good in their next 5 years as they were in their previous 5 years.  Still dont look good enough to challenge Colorado IMHO

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

He's not as good as JH, no argument here.  I'd argue he's close to JG when you factor in his overall game, however.  Ultimately, he's the franchise guy, whereas Kadri is not....... thus I don't see Miller coming in less than $1.5 over Kadri

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.  So I won’t argue on that.

16 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Honestly it depends. If Miller's cap hit ends up being something like 9M then yes, I take Kadri and use that extra 2M to upgrade a different part of the lineup. Also, if I'm in Calgary's situation of a 3 year window to win now then their age difference doesn't really matter to me. Adding to that, Calgary already has a bonafide 1C in Lindholm and a top 5 winger in the league in Huberdeau so getting a player who has shown they can score around a PPG pace in a 2C role is likely more valuable than a center/winger hybrid that can score around a PPG pace on the top line.

If they are exactly the same cap hit I've already said I would take Miller as I said he's worth 0.5M more if they were the same age. Considering Miller is 2.5 years younger, he's probably worth closer to 1M more since he should be able to maintain his pace slightly longer.

But Kadri is actually worth 8, it's just that he signed until he is 39 to get the extra money at a lower aav. So yeah Miller is worth at least $9 or (probably) more over the same term.

Im not even worried at all. The phlegms signed two guys on the wrong side of 30 to long term deals, that’s good news to me. Kadri could be a product of two offensively gifted teams surrounded with superstar talents, he along with huberdeau will be seen 

to produce offence for that team and I think they will feel that pressure.

Prior to his career year this past season, he’s best point total was 55 points 5 years ago. I think huberdeau’s contract will get ugly in like year 3, but this Kadri contract can get ugly real quick.

1 minute ago, Darius said:

So they Traded a First and Monahan to Montreal to be able to pull this off?

Calgary going all in  dedicating big $$ to a couple 30+ yr old guys that probably wont be as good in their next 5 years as they were in their previous 5 years.  Still dont look good enough to challenge Colorado IMHO

They are going “all in”.  Then most likely start a rebuild once their window closes (4-5yrs).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Did this "cap situation" effect JH?  How about JG?  Or Forsberg?  What about Kadri?

Newsflash, it ain't going to affect Miller either.......there will always be teams that pay up for those guys.

Family Matters 90S Tv GIF

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Can you fill this sentence out a bit; as to me it looks like Calgary were after him too?

If only he had a tweet to back it up in addition as it appears all GM's check in and run their daily business by him first. :picard:

Just now, IBatch said:

I do.  And mustard on my burgers!  All dressed.   My Dad hates me....

Mustard on a burger is fine.

Even Ketchup and Mayo on a burger is fine.

Hotdogs: Mustard, Relish, Onions, and other goodies. Ketchup not so much.

But everyone is different.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

They are going “all in”.  Then most likely start a rebuild once their window closes (4-5yrs).

Yep, in 4 years Markstrom's contract will be finished and he'll be 36 with no clear succession plan, Tanev and Backlund will be gone, Huberdeau will be 33 and leaving his prime, and even Lindholm will be 31 and possibly at the tail end of his prime. Makes sense to just throw everything at the wall now. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

Yep, in 4 years Markstrom's contract will be finished and he'll be 36 with no clear succession plan, Tanev and Backlund will be gone, Huberdeau will be 33 and leaving his prime, and even Lindholm will be 31 and possibly at the tail end of his prime. Makes sense to just throw everything at the wall now. 

It does, I agree.  Their window is now

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Calgary’s GM has got to be the best one out there right now. 

He faced a crisis with 2 of his star players wanting out and did a fantastic job dealing with the situation.

Unlike the stunned one who would always “run out of time” 

1BEBF834-558D-4B17-8E2C-C6C8770697E5.jpeg

Well he never offered Sundin.  Almost retired Sundin.  2 years at 10 million did he?  Could be worse things... like that lol.   And Nonis waited for year for the WCE era cap from Burke to go away and never got the chance to use it.   First thing MG did was make a shady, absolutely ridiculous signing with his former client. 

JB ?  Well i wonder what he'd have done with that core.    Or Nonis or Burke.   MG lol what a tool.