The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Nazem Kadri

Just now, Muttley said:

Just a little maneuvering and a Miller deal might be in the works. He's younger but doesn't have Kadri's résumé so the number makes sense. I've always 

maintained JT would resign with a number that started with a seven! 

So number 7 as in 7 year term elsewhere?  :bigblush:

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Treliving kind of had to do this though given the composition of his club (and to a degree wanting to retain his position).  If it means consecutive strong cup runs it’s totally worth it based on their current roster. There will always be a team willing to take on ugly contracts as that’s part of the current formula when rebuilding so perhaps not such a bad move. Could even see CGY becoming one of those teams who takes on bad salary during a rebuild once their vet core has aged out. 

100% they are the dumping grounds for players who can't get the retirement deal elsewhere. I don't blame them, it's Alberta... Can't attract younger talent.

3 years from now is when things go downhill BIG TIME. Till then though solid team

Just now, 250Integra said:

Bet you Kadri doesn't score more than a PPG in any season as a Flame. He greatly benefited from playing on that crazy good Avalanche PP unit.

Florida, Calgary and Colorado had pretty similar conversion rates on the PP - between 23-24.5%.  

Kadri had 29pts like Tkachuk.  Huberdeau had 38pts on the PP which is 13pts more than Gaudreau's 25.  

Honestly don't think Flames are that much better. Their defense is better with Weegar but their forward group is lacking IMO. I think Huberdeau will not be as effective without Barkov. Kadri is not an elite centerman and frankly, better suited as a 2nd line center. We'll see what happens but I think they may struggle under Sutter's coaching.

24 minutes ago, HKSR said:

YUP.  ESPECIALLY when the playoffs roll around.  The Flames will be a really good matchup for the Avs this year.  You know Kadri will be out to prove a point too.

Good point, I thought the Flames were one of the few teams that could have stopped the Avs.

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

JT Miller... 7x$7 in VAN... let's go!!!

In all seriousness, the bar is set.  JTM should be right in that ballpark now. 

Good job Calgary.  You did good saving your post season, and now you do us a favour in setting the bar for JTM. 

I'm not sure about this being a JTM comp contract,  if anything it seems closer to what BoHo would re-up for or thereabouts give-or-take.

1 minute ago, 250Integra said:

Honestly don't think Flames are that much better. Their defense is better with Weegar but their forward group is lacking IMO. I think Huberdeau will not be as effective without Barkov. Kadri is not an elite centerman and frankly, better suited as a 2nd line center. We'll see what happens but I think they may struggle under Sutter's coaching.

I think turning Chucky, Monahan and Johnny into Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri is pretty solid.

Very different players but I think the incoming guys have a better team focus as opposed to some of the me focused ongoing guys.

• Cheers 1

I think in 2 years Kadri will have had 2 seasons of 65 and 54 points and 7 million for 5 more years is going to look pretty bad.  

I will give credit to Treliving though, he was handed a poop sandwich by those idiots Gaudreau and Tkachuk and he turned it into at least a PB&J.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not sure about this being a JTM comp contract,  if anything it seems closer to what BoHo would re-up for or thereabouts give-or-take.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Kadri was just as good of a player in the league last year as Miller was. You could argue that Miller was a little bit better, but not by much. Kadri is also a pure centre, whereas teams around the league might view Miller as more of a winger (despite his faceoff prowess). 

3 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I think turning Chucky, Monahan and Johnny into Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri is pretty solid.

Very different players but I think the incoming guys have a better team focus as opposed to some of the me focused ongoing guys.

The Flames will also have a chip on their shoulder too.

Flames will be good again.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

This should help the Canucks leverage in terms of the JT Miller situation quite a bit.

If Rutherford fails to reap a great return for JT then he will have failed utterly. 

Yeah, I see it more as leverage for Miller, who is a much better player than Kadri.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'd almost argue it's a decent comp for both JTM and Horvat.

JTM would get a tad more, and Horvat would get about the same (due to age).

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

At the very least, it should bring down Millers ask.  Perhaps this will help both reach a compromise to a re-signing.