The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I've always been in favour of a deterent on the team. 
I am looking very much forward to see, how Joshua fares. And hopefully Schenn will be there again, unless we have another Dman, who can drop them. 

I know the issue is, deterents don't stop them taking cheap shot, but they don't take another if they are in the hospital...

Thing is, you've gotta stand up; whether that clears the benches or not.

And goalies are part of that too; one reason they're all well over 6 foot now.

Somebody tries to run Thatch, he is his own first line of defense and aggression.

Chop the prick's ankles off; keep that butt-end handy, and swing that stick like Johnny Canuck!

Then, come the brawl, unleash the hounds, and let them feast.

• Haha 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

Thing is, you've gotta stand up; whether that clears the benches or not.

And goalies are part of that too; one reason they're all well over 6 foot now.

Somebody tries to run Thatch, he is his own first line of defense and aggression.

Chop the prick's ankles off; keep that butt-end handy, and swing that stick like Johnny Canuck!

Then, come the brawl, unleash the hounds, and let them feast.

Yeah go time... don't really see much of that anymore...

Think the closest in years was under Tortz...Don't push me...::D

• Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

Yeah go time... don't really see much of that anymore...

Think the closest in years was under Tortz...Don't push me...::D

I loved that trek down the tunnel.

All the little flammes were like, "WTF?  He's their coach!"

Little Torts in there punching above his head (figuratively, nit-pickers).

Then the Don't Push Me Video; loved it all.

"I gotta protect my players."

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

that is true, but splitting OEL and Hughes at least give us 2 competent pairings that you can rotate in a tight game late with the lead.. while the right side is weak.. Hughes/Schenn is a very capable pairing. what is the reasoning to force OEL and Hughes on the same line?? if anything you can force OEL to the right side and have him with Rathbone or something at least that'll give you 2 pairings each with a capable defenseman on there rather than 1 capable pairing and then all question marks.

Count me in.... agree 100%

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I loved that trek down the tunnel.

All the little flammes were like, "WTF?  He's their coach!"

Little Torts in there punching above his head (figuratively, nit-pickers).

Then the Don't Push Me Video; loved it all.

"I gotta protect my players."

Tbh ofcourse the coach shouldn't be fighting, but he led by example...

You don't have to be big to stand up to bullies. A bit like Ryp.... 

I also loved it despite it was always going to come back to bite us... 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I've always been in favour of a deterent on the team. 
I am looking very much forward to see, how Joshua fares. And hopefully Schenn will be there again, unless we have another Dman, who can drop them. 

I know the issue is, deterents don't stop them taking cheap shot, but they don't take another if they are in the hospital...

Ferland was supposed to bring that deterrent but had one too many concussions.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

that is true, but splitting OEL and Hughes at least give us 2 competent pairings that you can rotate in a tight game late with the lead.. while the right side is weak.. Hughes/Schenn is a very capable pairing. what is the reasoning to force OEL and Hughes on the same line?? if anything you can force OEL to the right side and have him with Rathbone or something at least that'll give you 2 pairings each with a capable defenseman on there rather than 1 capable pairing and then all question marks.

Yeah, I've been a big proponent of having them on separate pairs and having the ability to have one of those guys out on the ice for near 25minutes each/50 minutes total of a 60 minute game. HUGE advantage.

The problem is getting them competent and complementary partners to play with them for those 25 minutes. We've got Myers, who while a decent 2nd pair D on his own, is a nightmare with Hughes and neuters OEL's offense when with him. If we had a guy like McNabb or similar to play with Myers, they'd likely form a solid 2nd pair. But we don't (and I'd probably play McNabb with OEL then anyway :lol:).

Rathbone looks like he has a bright future but is obviously very green defensively and doesn't particularly fill a roster hole as an offensive LHD behind Hughes and OEL (who are both better and more experienced players in that role). Can he play defense at a high enough level to contribute? Because he's unlikely to get the offensive minutes/usage that would put him in a position to play to his strengths.

Schenn's play beside Hughes was admirable, particularly for the cap hit, but on a team with playoff aspirations, should be in a depth role. Then you've got a couple #5's (maybe #4's if they really nail it) in Dermott/Poolman (is Tucker actually healthy?) and a solid depth guy in Burroughs. Decent enough depth players but none of those guys is fixing our HUGE top 4 holes for partners for Hughes/OEL.

A pretty confidence un-inspiring, motley collection of square pegs...

Really the only reason to put them on the same pair is to at least attempt giving the other a partner actually at their level due to the dearth of better options on the roster :lol:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Really the only reason to put them on the same pair is to at least attempt giving the other a partner actually at their level due to the dearth of better options on the roster :lol:

And that is the reason.  To load up the D at certain times.

Nothing to laugh about really; just working with what you've got.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I've been a big proponent of having them on separate pairs and having the ability to have one of those guys out on the ice for near 25minutes each/50 minutes total of a 60 minute game. HUGE advantage.

The problem is getting them competent and complementary partners to play with them for those 25 minutes. We've got Myers, who while a decent 2nd pair D on his own, is a nightmare with Hughes and neuters OEL's offense when with him. If we had a guy like McNabb or similar to play with Myers, they'd likely form a solid 2nd pair. But we don't (and I'd probably play McNabb with OEL then anyway :lol:).

Rathbone looks like he has a bright future but is obviously very green defensively and doesn't particularly fill a roster hole as an offensive LHD behind Hughes and OEL (who are both better and more experienced players in that role). Can he play defense at a high enough level to contribute? Because he's unlikely to get the offensive minutes/usage that would put him in a position to play to his strengths.

Schenn's play beside Hughes was admirable, particularly for the cap hit, but on a team with playoff aspirations, should be in a depth role. Then you've got a couple #5's (maybe #4's if they really nail it) in Dermott/Poolman (is Tucker actually healthy?) and a solid depth guy in Burroughs. Decent enough depth players but none of those guys is fixing our HUGE top 4 holes for partners for Hughes/OEL.

A pretty confidence un-inspiring, motley collection of square pegs...

ya the defense balance is of real concern but what can we do.. we can't get a RHD.. and management don't seem to have that as an priority since we spent whatever cap we had on more forwards.. once again this season making the playoffs is going to be all on demko whether he stands on his head playing in vezina form and whether or not he can handle 60+ games.. as much as martin have shown last season.. i don't see him 20+ games. demko will probably end up top 3 in the league in total amounts of saves and shots against... hopefully someone in defense surprise us.. but i'm not holding out hopes for that.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya the defense balance is of real concern but what can we do.. we can't get a RHD.. and management don't seem to have that as an priority since we spent whatever cap we had on more forwards.. once again this season making the playoffs is going to be all on demko whether he stands on his head playing in vezina form and whether or not he can handle 60+ games.. as much as martin have shown last season.. i don't see him 20+ games. demko will probably end up top 3 in the league in total amounts of saves and shots against... hopefully someone in defense surprise us.. but i'm not holding out hopes for that.

I think they did but the cost was just too high. I don't even think a Miller + Top 4 RHD would have been able to do it. 

Edited by iinatcc

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I wouldn't say it wasn't a priority. Movement in the league is REAL tight right now, especially for something like right hand/top 4 D.

I mean it was unlikely they were going to deal with/fix EVERY organizational weakness in this one offseason, under even normal conditions. And conditions are far from normal.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Things happen in cycles, this year everyone hoarded their RHDs and the season begins and they realize they need help elsewhere and next season we'll see more RHD moved or made available. UFA RHD next year Severson, Gudas, Weegar. Dumba, Mayfield,  plus LHD Ian Cole and Ryan Graves.

• Vintage 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:06 AM, aGENT said:

I wouldn't say it wasn't a priority. Movement in the league is REAL tight right now, especially for something like right hand/top 4 D.

I mean it was unlikely they were going to deal with/fix EVERY organizational weakness in this one offseason, under even normal conditions. And conditions are far from normal.

Absolutely.   And will add, we saw first hand what sort of massive change over did to our team last season.   It takes time to gel in most cases, and know Green over thought things looking for the 12-13th forward at training camp, and it likely cost both him and JBs job (it was time anyways so that's a win). 

Patience is a virtue for a reason.    I like that we are taking things at a good pace.  Brocks deal was good.   A tad high, but so are his expectations as a player still given his age and his rookie plus bubble North division year.    And what i really like is, at least for now,  management is in the cat bird or drivers seat still and can re-adjust according to what's going on.    Only OEL is a permanent structure so far (and not by them, that said they also adopted a crew of assets that are tradeable).    Nobody else this year has total trade protection.    Not even Miller (yet). 

It allows management the time they need to see how things go.    That said at some point they will need to sh!t or get off the pot - and think they've set themselves up armed and ready to start the exodus of the former regime's assets as they need too.   Miller was a bit of a surprise.    A below open market value deal.   And now they've added that to their toolbox.   Horvat's camp just got added pressure.    

The best thing they've managed, is the ability to remain fluid.   But at some point, and it actually could last all of this season, the following one too, they will have to either sh!t or get off the pot.   Crude but true.   I'm hoping for the latter, because in that case it means we've actually got something special already.   

All we really need, is to add one very good top four D to the group we've got, and feel the rest will fall into place.  If our top two pairings are on the ice 80% plus of the time ... the bottom pairing gets a pretty easy go of it.     Not expecting to have the D we had during the Sedin era .. but we already have a better rounded and more complete forward group.    For those the remember, it took half the Sedins career minus one year of Carter, to find them a good winger that added value.   And Kesler never really had great wingers.   Sure Maholtra was great and all but it wasn't like our bottom six was awesome either.      The strength of that team was our D, goalie and our top 3 forwards. 

This team has something i haven't seen since the Quin years.   Which is a legit top 9.   Our D needs work.   But i think we have the assets to make that work.  They've given themselves two years breathing room to wrap this up.

And if it doesn't work, well then re-set it. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Things happen in cycles, this year everyone hoarded their RHDs and the season begins and they realize they need help elsewhere and next season we'll see more RHD moved or made available. UFA RHD next year Severson, Gudas, Weegar. Dumba, Mayfield,  plus LHD Ian Cole and Ryan Graves.

NJD comes to mind immediately.  Hamilton, Severson, Marino, and Nemec all on the RHD.  $17.5M+ tied up on RHD doesn't sound like a smart use of cap space.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

NJD comes to mind immediately.  Hamilton, Severson, Marino, and Nemec all on the RHD.  $17.5M+ tied up on RHD doesn't sound like a smart use of cap space.

Yes one is going to get traded.   Likely Severson.  But you just never do know.   Severson might not even be on our teams radar either.   Hard to say.   But on paper anyways some team will be asking for him before or at the TDL.   

All this said ... i'd be fine with just some country LHD/RHD bumpkin that nobody had even considered, that is cheaper.   Maybe Dunn?   Or whomever.   Hamonic was supposed to be that guy but wasn't.  

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yes one is going to get traded.   Likely Severson.  But you just never do know.   Severson might not even be on our teams radar either.   Hard to say.   But on paper anyways some team will be asking for him before or at the TDL.   

All this said ... i'd be fine with just some country LHD/RHD bumpkin that nobody had even considered, that is cheaper.   Maybe Dunn?   Or whomever.   Hamonic was supposed to be that guy but wasn't.  

Durzi? LAK's are loaded on RD as well. IIRC Carolina is as well. Morrow?

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Durzi? LAK's are loaded on RD as well. IIRC Carolina is as well. Morrow?

Have to be willing to pay for those guys then.

Like Benning did with Baertschi and Vey it would likely cost us a 2nd round pick or Rathbone at the very least.