The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign J.T. Miller

43 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Some people aren’t happy unless we’re in a constant state of rebuild.  The hamster wheel of mediocrity is his safe zone.  At some point you have to put your chips all in.  Management must feel they’ve got a core that can grow into a cup contender within our 4 year window. 

Demko

Hughes - OEL - Myers

Miller - Petey - Horvat

Podkolzin - Hoglander - Garland - Mikheyev - Boeser - Kuzmenko. 

That’s a great looking core.  And some of our best players in this core are 23 and under.

Wouldn't say great, but definitely good.  We still need a legit #1 dman.  And i hope podz develops into an elite winger.  Those are two pieces we are missing

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When players start to buy in and believe in the direction of the team that’s when something special starts happening.

We saw it in 2011, might not be too long before free agents all want to come here.

Yup. We can fix the blue line internally and by trading a winger who ends up being the odd man out eventually.

Let's see what we have this year with a healthy Petey, re-energized Brock, bolstered pk, speed and grit, full training camp and year under "Bruce, there it is!", and a team that believes they can win. 

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by Jester13
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

When players start to buy in and believe in the direction of the team that’s when something special starts happening.

We saw it in 2011, might not be too long before free agents all want to come here.

Tough to not get buy-in when we've locked them in to clauses already; just hope that we'd have money for those free agents (and that would take shedding bad contracts [which would be a discussion for another day]).

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

This assumes though that we'd even be able to get a good rhd. That's all going to depend on the market, what's available, and if that particular team's even going to want Miller in the first place.

I think it's a common misconception that we can just get the kind of player we want in a trade. All you have to do is think logically about it to realise we don't always have that luxury.

Not Miller LOL! Didn't you hear we signed him?I sad we have other players that could get us that as our forward group has a few to many and throw a D in we could get one.

51 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If I was in charge I would have been working hard to trade him but honestly, I like it.  I think this team is a lot closer than others are saying and thus, a “screw it” season where we deal our best player at the deadline wasn’t a good look. 

Like it or not, this guy is the heartbeat of the team and current premier offensive weapon in the lineup.  If teams weren’t willing to buck up they can pound sand.  We have almost 6 mil coming off the books via buyouts / Ferland next offseason.  We can afford a 2.75 bump to Miller. Hopefully (and realistically via the internal cap) Bo comes in a little lower.

Myers or someone else will have to budge to get something done on the back end but we’re sitting on contender-level forwards and goalie right now.  With Hughes and OEL looking pretty studly on the back end.  We’re close.  Miller is a part of that.

I think we are closer than some people think.  RHD is our only obvious hole in the lineup and some more depth.  Depth can easily be acquired through free agency.  A couple top RHD is much more difficult and really needs to be acquired through trade unless you want to seriously overpay in free agency.  Not sure how we are going to address the RHD situation, but it looks like we are all in with Miller now and our window if officially opened up, so I would assume guys like Rathbone and Hoglander are in play to acquire at least one top 4 RHD.  Maybe a high paid winger as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine being a Calgary fan and knowing that American players would rather take less to get the heck out of Calgary, but also take less to stay in Vancouver.  Even Hughes and Demko are signed through some UFA years.  

I don’t get the sense that he “took less to stay”. Most people knew somewhere between 54m-60m was always going to be the magic number for him to stay.

• Cheers 1