The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Danny DeKeyser with Canucks

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I laughed at that too.

Bieksa was an ok middle weight but that's about it.

Yes.   Same people that think RYP - Rypien was some sort of brute, didn't grow up watching the type of hockey i did.   Quality of competition matters.   Something Rypien and Bieksa for the most part rarely had.   But pretty decent for their era that's for sure too.    Prust lol.   Or Gudas.   Carkner,  Neil and Janssen only guys that were any good at fighting Ripper ever dropped with.   A far cry from what even Walker did while with us.    And Bieksa did make Eager go mad which was great .... who a 41 year old Gary Roberts tuned, all 230lbs of meathead worth.    Man i miss the days this league had guys like Tochett, Wendel Clark, Shanny, Stevens (both Stevens actually), Corson, Roberts, etc etc etc etc ... Reaves?   What would Brashear or Laraque do to him?   Chara wasn't even very good at it.    Yet manhandled most guys once the goon squad was gone. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, tas said:

I was ambivalent about his performance and never like him as a player/person, so I was happy he didn't catch on. 

on the other hand, I was one of the everybody a year earlier that thought b-mo should have caught on after his pto. 

He had 2 goals in 4 games and we would have had the satisfaction of him pummelling Keith for his cheap shot on Daniel Sedin or Keith not pulling that at all. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

Owen Nolan came here in a pto?

Indeed Tas is correct. He came in 2011-2012 for a PTO. I recall he scored a GWG in preseason and claimed he wouldn’t have let the Bruins push the Canucks around if he was on the roster the previous season. 

8FB31B21-6561-4FF5-8D85-B819F9D7D5DD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Same people that think RYP - Rypien was some sort of brute, didn't grow up watching the type of hockey i did.   Quality of competition matters.   Something Rypien and Bieksa for the most part rarely had.   But pretty decent for their era that's for sure too.    Prust lol.   Or Gudas.   Carkner,  Neil and Janssen only guys that were any good at fighting Ripper ever dropped with.   A far cry from what even Walker did while with us.    And Bieksa did make Eager go mad which was great .... who a 41 year old Gary Roberts tuned, all 230lbs of meathead worth.    Man i miss the days this league had guys like Tochett, Wendel Clark, Shanny, Stevens (both Stevens actually), Corson, Roberts, etc etc etc etc ... Reaves?   What would Brashear or Laraque do to him?   Chara wasn't even very good at it.    Yet manhandled most guys once the goon squad was gone. 

Yea man I still can't believe visors are a thing! Gives you an idea of my age.

There's tough and there's I'm going through you.

Edited by Chris12345

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

I’d also like to see Burroughs tried out in that spot too if it’s determined that it’s best to run a defensive Dman alongside QH. Personally I think a hybrid 2 way is the best to route to follow though.

I hear where you’re coming from with TO, but consider it’s a different system/schemes, coaching, expectation/instruction, personalities/teammates, overall environment, etc. There’s a solid history of NHL players who didn’t perform up to expectations with one club and then totally outperformed them with another. 
I think just think Dermott deserves the shot, especially as we also gave up a pick to obtain him. Let’s see what’s he’s got.

Yea you never know try anything in the preseason and see what sticks.

I love Burroughs but I just don't think he's good enough. #7 dman that plays 70 games a year, sure. Really hood value. Top 4, look out, especially with Myers in the top 4.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I don’t recall anyone thinking or posting that Rypper was a “brute”. 

Most people that I can recall thought he was the ‘David’ vs Goliaths. 

This is not an accurate statement imo. 

And Rypper didn’t have ‘quality of competition’??? 

WTF?! 

You think these guys were daisies??

Rypper was pound for pound among the toughest motherfu*****. Period. Full stop. End of story. 

I won’t hear of anything suggesting otherwise.

Luv ya tho buddy. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

WTF?! 

Rypper was pound for pound among the toughest motherfu*****. Period. Full stop. End of story. 

Luv ya tho buddy. 

The guy was a loyal warrior for us until the very end. Started with the Moose and anyone who gave Mike Keane the stink eye wouldn’t be able to open those eyes after Rypper was done with them.  We all know he had his demons but the man bled his heart with his fists for us and fans that watched that era will never take him for granted. Thanks for the flashbacks of those scraps 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

WTF?! 

Luv ya tho buddy. 

Figured that would get some hackles up.  Brad May was never a top 30 fighter in the league, and Zortini was just bad.   Guys like Walker, Keane and Chelios and Stan Jonathon even Tie Domi and Neil were middle weights.   Not to mention a dozen other guys....Wendel Clark... Brad May too.. Rob Ray and Mathew Barnaby ... Joey Kocur ... A couple guys in his own weight class too not much before or after him.   Guy that put Beagle to bed, and Jordan Tootoo.

Same with Gary Roberts really.     Yes i loved Ripper ... all guts.   But his legend is a little bit over the top  with our fan base.    And i'm saying that with a lot of respect having gone toe to toe with guys a lot bigger then me growing up. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

WTF?! 

Luv ya tho buddy. 

Yeah ryper was all time 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Before Rypen who was awesome we had Brashear,Gino and my favorite Tiger Williams.

Have to inject one of my pop’s good friends because he’s also deserving of a shout out in this category, “Chief” Ron Delorme.

Guy has brutal gas though. Truthfully. 
When I was a young kid, he used to back up into me ( and I was about a$$ height) and just let them rip. Almost on command. Then he’d openly blame me for it. It was the running joke, but very devious.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

The guy was a loyal warrior for us until the very end. Started with the Moose and anyone who gave Mike Keane the stink eye wouldn’t be able to open those eyes after Rypper was done with them.  We all know he had his demons but the man bled his heart with his fists for us and fans that watched that era will never take him for granted. Thanks for the flashbacks of those scraps 

Yes.  Was the last great middleweight the leagues had.   And really i'm sure Reaves wouldn't enjoy going toe to toe with him either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Figured that would get some hackles up.  Brad May was never a top 30 fighter in the league, and Zortini was just bad.  

Brad May was a Pretty good scrapper and in his day was always one of the toughest fighters around.  He had some memorable fights as a Canuck. 

6 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Have to inject one of my pop’s good friends because he’s also deserving of a shout out in this category, “Chief” Ron Delorme.

Guy has brutal gas though. Truthfully. 
When I was a young kid, he used to back up into me ( and I was about a$$ height) and just let them rip. Almost on command. Then he’d openly blame me for it. It was the running joke, but very devious.

Rotten Ronny doing you dirty. Bet those amateur scouting meetings are not too pleasant without the fabreze spray.:sadno: 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Indeed Tas is correct. He came in 2011-2012 for a PTO. I recall he scored a GWG in preseason and claimed he wouldn’t have let the Bruins push the Canucks around if he was on the roster the previous season. 

8FB31B21-6561-4FF5-8D85-B819F9D7D5DD.jpeg

The guy had a good, career; would have been a good fit if he was here a few years earlier.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Figured that would get some hackles up.  Brad May was never a top 30 fighter in the league, and Zortini was just bad.  

And Hall Gill was just a what? A little kid Rypper fought against? 

May was exactly in his weight class and an even more experienced fighter and Rypper laid waste to him 

Stortini was one of the guys that was amongst the tougher guys back then. He wasn’t on the Oiler squad for his goal scoring abilities. 

You’re totally short changing Rypper.

Was Chris Neil a lightweight? 

Was Valabik a soft player? Look at the size difference. 

How about Carcillo? Was he some pansy that wasn’t a good fighter??

Just stop. Rick Rypien was amongst the elite pound for pound fighter the Canucks ever had. 

Even that this is an argument is nonsense. 

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

pretty much. If it ups competition at camp thats good. League min and starting in Abby is fine as well, although I'm not sure if he'd be taking a spot from a kid there or not. 

It's a low risk move, you know our D will take hits over the season 

Our D as a whole was uncharacteristically healthy last season if you exclude Poolman

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

Rotten Ronny doing you dirty. Bet those amateur scouting meetings are not too pleasant. 

Haha yeah he loved his pranks.
Ppl crap on him here for what they believe is a poor drafting record, but as person he is a really great guy with a big heart. 
He used to put up with a lot of racial abuse when he played but he never dwelled on it or allowed it to affect him because he didn’t want to spotlight it.

It was just so commonly accepted back then, but I just remember him telling me that it only made him stronger and focus on the positive. Just an honest, good man.

I used to help out as a gopher at the training camps (2 Nux, 1 LA in 99’s first year with them) and I vividly remember the tougher guys as always being the most charismatic, approachable and fun. Guys like Ronnie Stern and Jim Sandlak created a really good atmosphere, although I remember one camp when Sandlak and Robin Bawa were seriously after each other for a position with the team and they scrapped it out a few times in camp and an altercation in the dressing rooms too. That was eye opening. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1