The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Danny DeKeyser with Canucks

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

And I have a tough time figuring out how Poolman fits in... At best as 3rd RHD... But I'm not confident he can stay headaches free all season... Sucks that there aren't any good 2-way RHDs on FA market!!

Poolman could slot in on a pairing with OEL or Hughes quite nicely if he were healthy I think. 

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Poolman could slot in on a pairing with OEL or Hughes quite nicely if he were healthy I think. 

Poolman - Hughes 

I want to see it for 10 games in a row and see how well they do.  

On 9/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, IBatch said:

Brad May was never a top 30 fighter in the league...back in the 90's.   People did get to see what he could do, but he wasn't an enforcer just a scrappy guy.    League had lots of those back then.     Back when Brown, Probert, Baumgartner, Simon, Twist, Parker, Churla, McSorely, Kocur, Grimson, Ewen, Brashear, Severyn, Kruse, Berube McArthy, Odjick, Domi, Ray, etc etc etc etc Brad May didn't crack the top 30 fighters in the league and these are facts.   Then you had to add the guys like Roberts, Corson, Clark, Shanny, Corson, Steve, Tochett etc etc etc that could actually play the game and fight.

Show the whole list now!

5 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Show the whole list now!

Lol...I will see if i can find an old mag...they used to rank the enforcers only one of them May made and even then they weren't sure he belonged, because he was a better player then fighter, and ranked below McCarty (who they also rightly said wasn't a great fighter).   People forget guys like Ciccone, Kordic,  Gaetz etc came and went ... Worrell.   Some were pretty nuts.  May was never a heavy, just pretty good at it. The quality of competition went way down fast after the lockout.    At least May was around throughout almost the entirety of some of the toughest era in hockey.   

I can remember the top ten the year he made the cut (low 20's i think - but that didn't include ANY power forwards... guys like Clarke, Tochett, Shanny, Corson,  Roberts or guys that could play the game too like Momesso, Tinordi, Diduck etc etc etc etc.   Brashear was named fighter of the year but not even included as an enforcer yet because he had not been around long enough ... of course eventually he ended up at or near the top.    Lots of Mays along the way...and well making the list at all that year was something.   But he wasn't better then Clarke, maybe at the same level as PJ Stock ... (if you haven't seen him - lol - go watch some of his middle weight battles)... May was at most a light heavy, and for the most part stayed within his weight class.   But maybe around 70 overall, pure fighting that is.  Or the third ish best fighter on the average team back then.    Ray and Barnaby ranked higher then May at the time so makes sense.    We had Odjick, Brashear that season.   A year or two before we had Odjick, Antoski (one of the best fighters we've ever had, a mountain of a man and actually good at fighting too), Hunter ... then May or Momesso and id actually rank Momesso higher and Walker would be a tough one too...if you haven't seen it - google Walker bloody fight Petit.  

The league just had so many guys who would fight back then.   Tamer actually was a good Rypien comp that year May made the enforcer cut.   One punched Probert to the ice.   Not a big guy either, but like Rypien was also a boxer.   Most of these guys trained with a boxing coach at one time or another too. 

May was an average cruiser/light heavy weight.    If i had to pick anyone Tanner Glass would be a decent comp from more recent times as fighting ability ... Did well or ok against guys his own size and the non regular fighters... Aside from the Odjers of the world.   As in punching bags.   Russel too.  We had our own as well in Dana Murzyn ...   I'm glad we had May, and stoked he won a cup with ANA.   Even on that team, it was Parros, then that goof we had to play against in Boston who after the leagues quality of competition went down actually was at or near the top - Thornton, then May (Moen was also pretty decent, and Pronger was also on that team lol).    This was after the lockout, and enforcers and the Ludwig's and Hatchers of the world lost or were losing their jobs year after year. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

On 9/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, Jester13 said:

OK, but do we really need Burroughs? 

Jk, of course. I would put him as the most potential for a breakout guy who steps up and takes advantage of his opportunity. He's physical, has shown he can learn and improve, and he clearly has drive to win. He also has shown some pretty darn good hockey IQ, which I don't really see in Poolman.

Much as I like Burroughs and his attitude, he is 27 and still can't skate up to standard.

e.g. Once he chases a hit, he can't get back in time.

It would waste QH's time to have to drag KB2 around and have one less teammate to pass to.

KB2 s/b RHD4 imo.

On 9/9/2022 at 2:22 PM, RWJC said:

Have to inject one of my pop’s good friends because he’s also deserving of a shout out in this category, “Chief” Ron Delorme.

Guy has brutal gas though. Truthfully. 
When I was a young kid, he used to back up into me ( and I was about a$$ height) and just let them rip. Almost on command. Then he’d openly blame me for it. It was the running joke, but very devious.

Delorme could play and throw 'em; one of my all-time favorite Canucks.

Buff-Lynn was also said to rip stink in front of goalies in the crease and really piss them off.

• Haha 1

This group definitely needs more PK prowess.  since the loss of Edler and Tanev, they have been quite poor killing penalties. Danny D may be able to be that kind of player… but also may be done…

OEL Huggy

Dermott Schenn 

DeKeyser Myers 

Rathbone Poolman

We could very well have the top pairing in the division imho… unfortunately followed by 3 x 3rd pairings lol.  Hopefully the “bottom 4” can share minutes and play a safe and insulated game while eating all the PK. 

Edited by 70seven

On 9/9/2022 at 10:33 PM, DeNiro said:

Look back at how the Lightning acquired Cernak, He was basically a throw in in a Budaj for Bishop swap.

Fast forward four years later and he’s in their top 4 and winning back to back cups with them while playing a key shutdown role.

We really need to hit a home run like this. Take advantage of a GM like Benning who wants to cut corners and is willing to throw away 2nd round picks or decent prospects.

We need to re-touch that Ottawa GM who gave us a 3rd instead of a 5th; illogical GM = Nux HR.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

True, which is funny because Tanev was incredibly durable last season 

Tanev was with a more physical playing hockey team,  he survived the regular season, perhaps his first time…. But was again injured where and when needed the most in the playoffs.

Edler is turning to dust eating minutes ,.  But on these boards it’s still magic dust.

We are better without both Nutz,.  Our D core needed to change, and it is , and will.

Edited by SilentSam

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Lol...I will see if i can find an old mag...they used to rank the enforcers only one of them May made and even then they weren't sure he belonged, because he was a better player then fighter, and ranked below McCarty (who they also rightly said wasn't a great fighter).   People forget guys like Ciccone, Kordic,  Gaetz etc came and went ... Worrell.   Some were pretty nuts.  May was never a heavy, just pretty good at it. The quality of competition went way down fast after the lockout.    At least May was around throughout almost the entirety of some of the toughest era in hockey.   

I can remember the top ten the year he made the cut (low 20's i think - but that didn't include ANY power forwards... guys like Clarke, Tochett, Shanny, Corson,  Roberts or guys that could play the game too like Momesso, Tinordi, Diduck etc etc etc etc.   Brashear was named fighter of the year but not even included as an enforcer yet because he had not been around long enough ... of course eventually he ended up at or near the top.    Lots of Mays along the way...and well making the list at all that year was something.   But he wasn't better then Clarke, maybe at the same level as PJ Stock ... (if you haven't seen him - lol - go watch some of his middle weight battles)... May was at most a light heavy, and for the most part stayed within his weight class.   But maybe around 70 overall, pure fighting that is.  Or the third ish best fighter on the average team back then.    Ray and Barnaby ranked higher then May at the time so makes sense.    We had Odjick, Brashear that season.   A year or two before we had Odjick, Antoski (one of the best fighters we've ever had, a mountain of a man and actually good at fighting too), Hunter ... then May or Momesso and id actually rank Momesso higher and Walker would be a tough one too...if you haven't seen it - google Walker bloody fight Petit.  

The league just had so many guys who would fight back then.   Tamer actually was a good Rypien comp that year May made the enforcer cut.   One punched Probert to the ice.   Not a big guy either, but like Rypien was also a boxer.   Most of these guys trained with a boxing coach at one time or another too. 

May was an average cruiser/light heavy weight.    If i had to pick anyone Tanner Glass would be a decent comp from more recent times as fighting ability ... Did well or ok against guys his own size and the non regular fighters... Aside from the Odjers of the world.   As in punching bags.   Russel too.  We had our own as well in Dana Murzyn ...   I'm glad we had May, and stoked he won a cup with ANA.   Even on that team, it was Parros, then that goof we had to play against in Boston who after the leagues quality of competition went down actually was at or near the top - Thornton, then May (Moen was also pretty decent, and Pronger was also on that team lol).    This was after the lockout, and enforcers and the Ludwig's and Hatchers of the world lost or were losing their jobs year after year. 

Stu Grimson “the Grim Reaper”.

• Upvote 2