The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Ethan Bear

Get Bear. 

We have a bit of magic and having a good two,way physical RHD with some toughness is a huge tea, need. 

that having a First Nations guy with all of the above, 

I think it would bring a bigger connection to the team and the amazing place they life and play in. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 11:44 PM, N7Nucks said:

Bear averages less than 1 hit per game. Has a little over 1 block per game. And over his career has a 2 to 1 giveaway to takeaway ration. Meaning his gives the puck away twice for every takeaway he gets. Which isn't good, but I suppose it's not unusual. Edler and Hamhuis are notable two way guys that had more giveaways than takeaways. He isn't physical or two way enough to be a real target for me personally.

I am First Nations, so from that standpoint it'd be cool. But from a team building standpoint he doesn't help the team much if at all. Maybe he can find magic with OEL though, but I'd keep him far away from Hughes. They'd be the smallest top pair in hockey is my guess. I dunno. I am pretty deadset on if we target a RD through trade or draft they need some Tanev or Parayko defensive pedigree. With that sort of size. 6'2-6'4 range. It'll cost an arm and a leg via trade but that's usually cause they're worth it. RD castoffs usually don't pan out because of how valued that position is.

I think anyone paying attention would definitely agree with you, a Parayko type going into next season would be preferable to Bear for sure - but I do think if Allvin's hands are tied in terms of true top-4 options, that trying to bring in Bear or de Haan at relatively cheap cost would still help the defense improve a bit. Bear isn't terribly physical but he is dependable defensively, and although he didn't PK much last year, he was a fixture for the 9th place Edmonton PK the year before last (Which dropped to 17th without him and Khaira). For a team whose goal is to make the playoffs "or disaster" Bear could be a cost effective improvement over Myers, likely Dermott on the right-side if he regresses back to the mean of his career, Poolman, deKeyser, Schenn in most ways and Burroughs, jury will be out on Rathbone's next jump up too; and Allvin can continue to try to find a way to fill the team's actual need. His GVSA value was higher than all those guys last year even in a diminished role, and he has tools to be better if he responds to Boudreau's system and increased TOI well. Depending on the cost, I'd be for a Bear acquisition over standing pat.

image.png.0433efde571c46f1a9da059704700ca0.png

EDIT: No, I am not advocating for a Hoggie trade at all, especially after his and Bruce's remarks about his return. If there's another way to make it work though, I think it's worth considering.

Edited by Ilya Mikheyev

the problem partly I think would be is that the Canes don't really have any needs lol, so they might not be compelled to take any cap from the Canucks - which means the Canucks would possibly need to find a different way to dump it, and at that point it's maybe too many assets for Bear to be worth it.

There's maybe a minor, stretched argument that Pearson could add to their LW depth, providing a veteran presence while they contend for the cup, seems like a Brind'Amour type player. I'm guessing with cap implications the Canucks would still have to add a sweetener. Rutherford loves a Pearson trade.

To Carolina: Tanner Pearson, Canucks 2nd round or 3rd rounder in 2024 or 2025 (NOT 2023. sweetener for the cap differential), Mikey D (just a throw in, but their AHL goalie depth is thin, Mikey wants a new team, etc.)

To Vancouver: Ethan Bear, 7th round pick 2023

Move Hoggie back into the top-12 forwards, Carolina can sign de Haan formally offering him a roster spot, keep Drury developing in the AHL + call-ups (Canes have exactly 12 forwards signed outside of Drury and Patches), Canucks gain a little cap this year and next to figure things out and improve their D slightly in the meantime while they continue their search for a true, bigger top-4 dman.

• Cheers 1

I think it's getting a bit too late into training camp now to be adding a defenceman when the coaches have been working through so much already.

If Poolman is healthy we don't need another bottom pairing defenceman for sure, and even if he isn't, I'll take Rathbone, Dermott, DeKeyser and Burroughs on a rotation instead. Bear may be better than Burroughs but he's not worth giving anything up for to acquire (wasn't he recently on waivers?).

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Brady Keeper seems to fit all your criteria here, plus he's cheaper and he's 6'2.

Bear hasn't established himself really as a top 4 dman yet and with Hughes trying the right side along with Myers, Schenn, and potentially Poolman (with depth like Keeper), I don't see a big need for Bear atm and especially not worth the headache of trying to clear out cap space to fit him in.

The thing with Bear people on here are missing is in the 2019-20 seaosn he played a top 4 role and was very good on a team not known for its D. Fast forward a year and he had some injury problems and then was the proverbial sacrificial lamb here in Edmonton when the Coilers lost in the playoffs to the Jets - even though there were others who the blame should have been laid on (including the highest paid player in the league at the time) and he was subjected to racism and harassment. You have to cut the kid some slack and I for oen think wherever he lands this year he will prove naysayers wrong.

5 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

the problem partly I think would be is that the Canes don't really have any needs lol, so they might not be compelled to take any cap from the Canucks - which means the Canucks would possibly need to find a different way to dump it, and at that point it's maybe too many assets for Bear to be worth it.

There's maybe a minor, stretched argument that Pearson could add to their LW depth, providing a veteran presence while they contend for the cup, seems like a Brind'Amour type player. I'm guessing with cap implications the Canucks would still have to add a sweetener. Rutherford loves a Pearson trade.

To Carolina: Tanner Pearson, Canucks 2nd round or 3rd rounder in 2024 or 2025 (NOT 2023. sweetener for the cap differential), Mikey D (just a throw in, but their AHL goalie depth is thin, Mikey wants a new team, etc.)

To Vancouver: Ethan Bear, 7th round pick 2023

Move Hoggie back into the top-12 forwards, Carolina can sign de Haan formally offering him a roster spot, keep Drury developing in the AHL + call-ups (Canes have exactly 12 forwards signed outside of Drury and Patches), Canucks gain a little cap this year and next to figure things out and improve their D slightly in the meantime while they continue their search for a true, bigger top-4 dman.

That is giving up way too much for a 3 RD.

Pearson has a lot of value on this team and is on an awesome contract for what he contributes.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

The thing with Bear people on here are missing is in the 2019-20 seaosn he played a top 4 role and was very good on a team not known for its D. Fast forward a year and he had some injury problems and then was the proverbial sacrificial lamb here in Edmonton when the Coilers lost in the playoffs to the Jets - even though there were others who the blame should have been laid on (including the highest paid player in the league at the time) and he was subjected to racism and harassment. You have to cut the kid some slack and I for oen think wherever he lands this year he will prove naysayers wrong.

I don't think he's a bad player, just not someone worth the effort of trying to move out cap space for. Just because he was a top 4 dman on a poor defensive team doesn't make him a top 4 dman on a deeper team (as we can see in his time in Carolina). We have had plenty of guys that played "top 4" here in our lean years and they wouldn't be top 4 elsewhere.

If Carolina will take Dickinson for Bear, I'm all for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ilya Mikheyev said:

Exactly this^

Bear is cap that the Canes want to dump. They have a bit of time while Patches is on LTIR but they will need to get rid of Bear before Patches is healthy. They don't want to take cap back and they are likely looking for a pick or prospect in return for Bear.

We SHOULD NOT be trading anything like a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Bear!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• New Jersey Devils defenseman Damon Severson has spent the entirety of his eight-year professional career in New Jersey, but with his contract set to expire at the end of this season, his time in red and black could be coming to an end. Severson told the media today, as relayed by James Nichols of The Fourth Period, that contract talks between him and the Devils have not yet begun. That doesn’t mean that a deal won’t get done between now and next summer, of course, but with the signing of Dougie Hamilton, the recent Jonas Siegenthalerextension, the acquisition of John Marino, and the eventual arrivals of Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec, it’s definitely possible that the Devils don’t see room for Severson long-term in their top-four.
  • The Philadelphia Flyers issued a few injury updates today, as reported by NHL.com’s Bill Meltzer. Per the update, both Artem Anisimov and Carter Hartare dealing with lower-body injuries, and Cam Atkinson is dealing with an upper-body ailment. All are officially day-to-day. While these injuries don’t seem likely to have any major impact on Hart or  Atkinson, an injury could pose an issue for Anisimov, who is in Flyers camp on a PTO and is battling for a roster spot.

Just now, wildcam said:
  • New Jersey Devils defenseman Damon Severson has spent the entirety of his eight-year professional career in New Jersey, but with his contract set to expire at the end of this season, his time in red and black could be coming to an end. Severson told the media today, as relayed by James Nichols of The Fourth Period, that contract talks between him and the Devils have not yet begun. That doesn’t mean that a deal won’t get done between now and next summer, of course, but with the signing of Dougie Hamilton, the recent Jonas Siegenthalerextension, the acquisition of John Marino, and the eventual arrivals of Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec, it’s definitely possible that the Devils don’t see room for Severson long-term in their top-four.
  • The Philadelphia Flyers issued a few injury updates today, as reported by NHL.com’s Bill Meltzer. Per the update, both Artem Anisimov and Carter Hartare dealing with lower-body injuries, and Cam Atkinson is dealing with an upper-body ailment. All are officially day-to-day. While these injuries don’t seem likely to have any major impact on Hart or  Atkinson, an injury could pose an issue for Anisimov, who is in Flyers camp on a PTO and is battling for a roster spot.

Severson 28, 6'2 RD will be a UFA next summer at age 29? Making 4.1 million this year and had  46 point last season..

Will demand at lest 6 million X 6 yrs next summer if not more? I think Vancouver will go after a younger RD with trade and possibly signed?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1