The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Petey beat Makar to a puck and went in for the breakaway untouched with Makar behind him and tried to score a goal between his legs at full speed...

Petey also barely lost to McDavid at the all-star game. 

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I didn’t see a translator, did you?

I thought they would have benefited with a translator, just in case, when speaking to the media for the first time ever in training camp, don’t you? 

Even if the choice was available, the team ought to have had one on hand in case anything was misspoken or misinterpreted. 

That’s what professional organizations around the world do. The Canucks, as an organization, dropped the ball in my opinion on one of the first media availability introducing the new players.

Amateurish and I’ll thought/planned out, again, in my opinion.  

You seem to be the only one who cares.

Nuff said.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just checked out the stats on Pearson-Miller-Boeser and that line had some impressive analytics.

They played 199:43 together at 5v5, spread out over 58 games last season.

CF% 56.38 (+6.78 REL)

xGF% 59.00  (+11.12 REL)
SCF% 55.56  (+8.29 REL)
HDCF% 55.41 (+10.90 REL)

Also, looking at the WOWYs (with/without), all three players enjoyed their best stats playing together, compared to their minutes played without each other. Except for a very small sample of around 33 minutes where Boeser and Pearson played together, but without Miller. The stats for those two are bananas (with numbers like a +30 HDCF% REL and +20 xGF% REL).

(Stats pulled from Natural Stat Trick)

It also passed the eye test for me last year.  I distinctly remember very strong games from those three.  

Boeser and Pearson would get in on the forecheck and win the puck.  Somebody would find Miller for a shot or a pass, and Boeser and Pearson often ended up getting the goal by popping back up from the boards to the front of the net. 

1 hour ago, Vermette9 said:

I think you're reading too much Into this... they had a translator for podz last year. I'm guessing the Russians were asked and they said no. They want to learn the language and want to do it their way. They have a lot of pride aamd have been working hard on their English.

Well, exactly. They had a translator for Podz last year who seemingly spoke English well, but still chose to use the translator out of comfort and/or being precise in his understanding and communication. 

Yeah, it’s a nitpick. At least for me. I admit it. 

However, it seems like someone ought to have been there to step in for Kuz, when he clearly wasn’t able to clarify his thoughts as probably as precisely as he wanted to. 

The Canucks organization should have, again in my opinion, been a bit more prepared for this. Just seems minor league to me. 

Expecting other players to address the media on his translated behalf seems bush league. 

These aren’t the days of Larionov and Krutov after all. :picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

that is funny

there have been many times I thought this franchise has not measured up, this was not one of them

It could be looked at as a bonding thing

It didn't work so well when they had that little cutie translating for Tryamkin, I thought that was a bad look.

as a person who has tried to learn a different language, it is important to try and use that new language

It was a pretty soft ball interview

there was one question, (IMac I think) where the question was too fast, otherwise it was fine

YMMV

Edited by Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Love it 

We need guys battling hard and getting under each other's skin in practice.  Sign of a hungry team/players. 

14 minutes ago, Muttley said:

He can't say much right now. Not to the press anyways. Obvious the teams in sensitive negotiations with the Horvat camp.

I thought he said some interesting things, the one that stood out to me was him saying we may need to part with a roster player to upgrade the d, vs losing most 1st round picks. 

Love the feeling that BB has put into Training Camp.  Pace is fast, intense and guys seem to be having fun.  He's also gotten straight to business which is the complete opposite of last season.  Some guys have been playing together as line mates since before training camp and I can't recall the last time that's happened.

As for the forward lines, there's definitely a theme for each.  

Kuzy - Petey - Mikayev = Skill & Speed

Pearson - Miller - Boeser = The Heavies

Garland - Horvat - Podz = PITA line

Joshua - Dickenson - Lazar = Grinders

OEL - Hughes could be Edler - Ehrhoff 2.0

Bottom pair is solid.

The only real question is who plays the left side with Myers.  

That roster looks pretty damn deep.  This team could really surprise this season.  If Martin can play ~25 games to keep Demko fresh, we'll also surprise in the playoffs (should we make it).

Super excited to get this season going! 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Love the feeling that BB has put into Training Camp.  Pace is fast, intense and guys seem to be having fun.  He's also gotten straight to business which is the complete opposite of last season.  Some guys have been playing together as line mates since before training camp and I can't recall the last time that's happened.

As for the forward lines, there's definitely a theme for each.  

Kuzy - Petey - Mikayev = Skill & Speed

Pearson - Miller - Boeser = The Heavies

Garland - Horvat - Podz = PITA line

Joshua - Dickenson - Lazar = Grinders

OEL - Hughes could be Edler - Ehrhoff 2.0

Bottom pair is solid.

The only real question is who plays the left side with Myers.  

That roster looks pretty damn deep.  This team could really surprise this season.  If Martin can play ~25 games to keep Demko fresh, we'll also surprise in the playoffs (should we make it).

Super excited to get this season going! 

if DeKeyser is healthy that could be a good Myers fit.

whats a PITA line?

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Chris Faber and Ian McIntyre ask some very ....   weird questions.  

Like the fact that both of them took the time to get out of their comfort zone though to talk in English!