The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Passing of Jennifer Smyl

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

14 hours ago, John_Guest said:

The first I remember hearing of Jennifer she was getting the Canucks wives and girlfriends together to do charity work. Do they still do that, I wonder.

I always thought of her like maybe the Canucks house mother. Something like that anyway.

She also was heavily involved in helping Larionov & Krutov's wives when they came over.  Remember that we weren't a 'big budget team' back then (in terms of spending money) & couldn't just hire a full-time people to handle that sort of stuff (my speculation)  It was "locally owned" but to be honest, in terms of sports, they were kind of just like a 'small mom & pop operation' competing against a 'big box store'.

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

She also was heavily involved in helping Larionov & Krutov's wives when they came over.  Remember that we weren't a 'big budget team' back then (in terms of spending money) & couldn't just hire a full-time people to handle that sort of stuff (my speculation)  It was "locally owned" but to be honest, in terms of sports, they were kind of just like a 'small mom & pop operation' competing against a 'big box store'.

I recall that when the Larionovs got here, Jennifer took Mrs. L. food shopping. Having come from Moscow, where store shelves were often bare or had limited quantities, Mrs. L. frantically began filling up her cart with piles of meat and other food. Jennifer had to assure her that the shelves and bins would all be stocked again tomorrow and that there was never a shortage.

• Upvote 2

Sad news, very sorry to hear. My heart goes out to the Smyl family.

I hope he Canucks honor Jennifer who even though was not employed by the Canucks, was very involved in the team and Canuck Place. A helmet sticker or something of the like with her initials seems appropriate.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1