The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Canucks vs/@ Flames (Split Squad) / Sunday, Sept. 25/22 / 4:00 & 5:00 pm

Rate this topic

-DLC-

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Was it not obvious?

Guess, I taught he was ready after all those years of (quality) developement under Cull & Johnston.  Kidding aside, it seems he will be added to the LONG list of prospects, we had only read or heard about.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh it's not like it's his first nhl game. he had 17 or 18 of them previously.. man i remember there were people last year thinking rathbone can replace hughes and we should send him packing to new jersey lol. i still think he needs couple more year in the AHL learning how to be effectively defensively before he can be in the NHL. offensively he's trying to do too much.. and he doesn't get shots thru like hughes for rebound.. defensively he's not doing much..

Yep, it was not so much sending QH to NJ as it was about the fear of him not signing. 

Last season he was clearly not ready for NHL defensively. 

• Vintage 2

Mathew philips keeps burning canucks during pre season..if this guy makes it the flames that is id be worried if i was a canucks fan...he is underrated and i think he should make the flames as much as i hate calgary...the skill that kid has is proven at the all level and every level he has played...scouts missed that one..i think he could be better than gudreau..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

I just watched the replay of the game in Vancouver. Rathbone looked like he had a great game, so I'm not sure what others are complaining about. He played a ton of minutes, made great passes and had lots of quality shots and chances. Aside from the one giveaway where he was gassed at the end of a shift, I thought he looked like an NHL player and he'll only continue to get better.

I might not go so far as to say he had a “great game,” but agree with a lot of what you’re saying and I think that that much of the criticism in this thread is overly negative. I think Rathbone had a mixed game, plenty of good, but definitely some bad too. He’s capable of better. But it was preseason game 1 and a split squad and he played something like 25+ minutes. He showed some rust (he freely admitted as much) and made some mistakes. It happens. And he certainly wasn’t the only one (and if I wanted to be negative, he wouldn’t be the first Canuck in my crosshairs, but I’m not looking for scapegoats). Jack will settle down and I expect he’ll get better as the games progress. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Quote:

Bruce Boudreau two months earlier amid a 16-game scoring drought that frequently had him playing single-digit minutes on the fourth line.

"Not an easy season," Podkolzin said. "But that's what I need for first season. I got really hard work in this summer to be ready for  second season. More skating, stronger shots, play stronger on the wall. Just play way smarter.”

• Like 1

I think a lot of our players, rookies included, will bounce back from this loss. This shows how hard it is to come into camp both physically and mentally.  I'm glad Podz dropped to us. In Van you could see that was a Sutter team, they want to beat you in the alley and on the ice. So I see our first team regulars being able to handle that and more. I hope this is the last split squad this pre season. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

How is it that he is day to day already?

Did he play any of the scrimmages at training camp? Its bewildering how he struggles to stay healthy.

At least it's day to day...but yes it is worrisome.   A lot of guys play mildly hurt during the regular season and especially in the playoffs.    Team needs a healthy Brock playing 78-82 games per season... Brock needs this too or his next contract won't look anything like his current one.    I think Brocks going to become the player he is this season.    Just a hunch.   30 goals or more.    Too much talent in the top nine now.     Will be tougher to defend against.

Edited by IBatch

Take aways from the game in Vancouver tonight:  Pods is right on his game and looks ready to roll and was the undoubtedly the star tonight. Certainly a bright star on the horizon.  EP40 and Kuz looked good too. Myers and Schenn were steady as usual.  Dekeyser was OK too.  Bo was a bit flat tonight.

As for goaltending; I still think Silvos is a shaky goalie and nowhere near ready for NHL play.  He plays out of position often and is small and got very lucky on a couple of those scrambly plays in front of him.   Martin looks much steadier and in control - despite his outcome tonight - and as long as he plays .400 to .500 hockey this year that should be enough to squeek us in the playoff picture if our team plays as they did in the later part of last year.

Concerns: All of our rookies look average at best and can't seem to stir-up much offensively and looked small vs. Calgary's bigger rookie players - who played with more grit.  I saw a lot of dump & chase and missed plays by our young guys but realistically, I wasn't expecting much from any of them as we all know that we have very limited talent down on the farm after Jim Benning sold out our future and left the cupboards bare down there in his last gasp effort to save his job. I expect 5 or 6 of the rookies we saw tonight to get sent down by mid week as there were several players out there that were definately way "Out of their league" literally!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

How is it that he is day to day already?

Did he play any of the scrimmages at training camp? Its bewildering how he struggles to stay healthy.

They only resigned BB so they would not lose him for nothing and hoping he'll pull out of his slump this year.  So don't kid yourself, if Boeser has one more bad year again - he'll be unloaded quickly - as he's a high cost player and has to produce - or else! 

Edited by RU SERIOUS

6 hours ago, Provost said:

I don’t take much out of the scores, but Yeesh we looked like a small team compared with Calgary… and we didn’t look fast enough to make up for that.

Zadorov would have been a nice fit on our team.

Yes and very good point.   JR has yet to address the small stature and lack of grit on this team but we'll have to give him a bit of time to unravel some of the many bad JB contracts he's stuck with as his hands are tied for now.    Hopefully once those contracts expire, he'll resolve that glaring problem that has hampered this team for years.    

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

not a fan of garland on the powerplay.. in order for him to have success on the powerplay he needs to plant himself in front of the net take a beating and get the dirty goal. he's trying to do too much spinning around skating thru traffic etc losing the puck over and over again. objective of the powerplay draw a defender on you and pass it off to the open guys.. not draw the guy on top of you and trying to spin your way out of it. i hope for the rest of the preseason they play the players they expected to be on the same line to start the season in the same games/same line to get going with the chemistry, rather than trying this guy with that guy with some ahler mixed in it. the fringe ahler can mix together and play the 4th line to battle for spots.. eg if boudreau is planning on kuz/ep/mih or podz stick with it the entire preseason so they have time to build chemistry starting the season. last thing we need is for the regular season to roll around the lines are all different again and they starting from scratch in terms of chemistry

I suspect Garland and Dickinson are high up on the possible trade list

35 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Take aways from the game in Vancouver tonight:  Pods is right on his game and looks ready to roll and was the undoubtedly the star tonight. Certainly a bright star on the horizon.  EP40 and Kuz looked good too. Myers and Schenn were steady as usual.  Dekeyser was OK too.  Bo was a bit flat tonight.

As for goaltending; I still think Silvos is a shaky goalie and nowhere near ready for NHL play.  He plays out of position often and is small and got very lucky on a couple of those scrambly plays in front of him.   Martin looks much steadier and in control - despite his outcome tonight - and as long as he plays .400 to .500 hockey this year that should be enough to squeek us in the playoff picture if our team plays as they did in the later part of last year.

Concerns: All of our rookies look average at best and can't seem to stir-up much offensively and looked small vs. Calgary's bigger rookie players - who played with more grit.  I saw a lot of dump & chase and missed plays by our young guys but realistically, I wasn't expecting much from any of them as we all know that we have very limited talent down on the farm after Jim Benning sold out our future and left the cupboards bare down there in his last gasp effort to save his job. I expect 5 or 6 of the rookies we saw tonight to get sent down by mid week as there were several players out there that were definately way "Out of their league" literally!

How tall are you? Gotta be a skyscraper to think a 6’4” goalie is small. 

May I offer the contrary opinion that this is game number one of the pre-season and vets notoriously don’t give their all and rookies are just that, rookies? With a full NHL roster we don’t need any rookie to shine and steal a spot. We have the luxury of letting them develop in their respective development leagues. 

Enjoy the hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I suspect Garland and Dickinson are high up on the possible trade list

i always think they are high up on the list especially dickinson.. but no team would be willing to take dickinson at his current cap hit for 2 season especially when it cost more than his AAV unless he have a resurgence and if he does i don't think we want to trade him as he's the type of players we need prior to the way he played last season..

garland i'm not a big fan of.. he's too small and the way he likes to play along the board he's 1 miss timed yet from being on ltir. people keep praising him about his production last year.. the guy was having a pretty bad season up until april where he got on a streak with 16 points.. he was pretty much just doing 5-6 points per month up until april.. and was on pace to finish below boeser.. 1 good month doesnt make almost the entire season of mediocre production.