The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Canucks vs/@ Flames (Split Squad) / Sunday, Sept. 25/22 / 4:00 & 5:00 pm

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Just now, stawns said:

I don't see DD making this team.

yeah I don't know that he's an upgrade of Dermott in any way. I'd like to see Dermott-Myers for a few games now. 

Just now, stawns said:

Rathbone played poorly, imo, but I certainly saw enough glimpses of good stuff to give me hope that he's still going to be an NHL regular at some point.  I'm not sure he's at that point now though.

Bruce did put him in a lot of situations, so that was good. He needs the time to get up to speed, if he's still making passing gaffes, etc. in the final preseason game then I'll be worried. 

Just now, stawns said:

I thought Keeper looked good and is probably the dark horse to be in the lineup and will probably platoon with Burroughs in the 6/7 spots.

that would be a good story. 

Loved what we saw from Podz and Garland tho. I think Kuzemko will be a good fit as well. 

I'm excited for Hoglander too, he's now got a chance to step up and show what he can do with Brock out. If Hog's can step up now, things could get very interesting on the trade front. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah I don't know that he's an upgrade of Dermott in any way. I'd like to see Dermott-Myers for a few games now. 

Bruce did put him in a lot of situations, so that was good. He needs the time to get up to speed, if he's still making passing gaffes, etc. in the final preseason game then I'll be worried. 

that would be a good story. 

Loved what we saw from Podz and Garland tho. I think Kuzemko will be a good fit as well. 

I'm excited for Hoglander too, he's now got a chance to step up and show what he can do with Brock out. If Hog's can step up now, things could get very interesting on the trade front. 

I thought Kuz had a good start and then kind of disappeared later on, but that sheer volume of penalties messed with everyone's rhythm I think.  I think Kuz is going to be an easy 20 goal guy and I'm interested to see who he plays with.

Podz was the best player, for either team, in both games, imo.  I hope BB uses him as an every situation player, like Bo, Miller and Petey

Just now, stawns said:

I thought Kuz had a good start and then kind of disappeared later on, but that sheer volume of penalties messed with everyone's rhythm I think.  I think Kuz is going to be an easy 20 goal guy and I'm interested to see who he plays with.

yeah the penalties were a bit much. I did like the PK time practice for the team tho. If it were a regular season game I would have been annoyed but this time of year I like to see our guys get as much PK time in as possible. 

Just now, stawns said:

Podz was the best player, for either team, in both games, imo.  I hope BB uses him as an every situation player, like Bo, Miller and Petey

Look at him now, when he's the ripe old age of 25 and fully developed he's going to be a beast. I hope we can lock him in to a team friendly deal now and skip the bridge stuff with him.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Surprised ppl aren't jumping on JR for his comments. Seems to echo many of the comments here. 

Great comments on Rathbone also echoed by BB. I think guys like me are expecting too much from this kid. 

I guess it's a win if he canmake the club and play 8-10 min a night. 

Rathbone looked pretty good.

Like a rookie?  Some mistakes granted, and in a somewhat disjointed pre season game.  He still stood out.

His only real problem? He is a PMD on the same team as Quinn Hughes. Quinn (and Makar) are among the most flash PMD's in 20 years, an unrealistic bar.  

If Jack is measured on normal terms, he looks great!

I see a place for him, particularly noting we have a faster more skilled forward group.  His role will be to help push the play. Not clear the crease.

Which is also about Bruuuuce setting the right deployment.

I think we'll be excited in a few weeks! :towel: 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Like a rookie?  Some mistakes granted, and in a somewhat disjointed pre season game.  He still stood out.

His only real problem? He is a PMD on the same team as Quinn Hughes. Quinn (and Makar) are among the most flash PMD's in 20 years, an unrealistic bar.  

I see a place for him, particularly noting we have a faster more skilled forward group.  His role will be to help push the play. Not clear the crease.

I didn't think so..........his skills are evident and he made some nice individual plays, but he is struggling with his decision making, that's pretty clear.  I think she's still a year away, at least.

I like this quote from JR, thanks for posting @-Vintage Canuck-

Even though it's pre-season.  Rutherford is already expecting we pay attention to details. Shift length, pace, intensity, puck pressure, structure.

To me that he says these things are notable. People pay attention!

And while mentioned without panic; added the sense of urgency / importance. ''There are still jobs up for grabs!''

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't think so..........his skills are evident and he made some nice individual plays, but he is struggling with his decision making, that's pretty clear.  I think she's still a year away, at least.

U were a defenseman. Know more.

I defer to a point. 

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

Honestly agree. 

We are desperately short on reliable defensive defensemen (i know we have poolman but his god awful puck handling skills kind of offset his usefulness imo).
Myers had some great offensive plays but was noticeably bad in his d-zone coverage. 

If the Hughes on right side experiment works, would like to see the lineup look something like this:

OEL-Hughes

Dermott-Myers

DeKeyser-Poolman

1st LHD callup - Kalynuk
1st RHD callup - Schenn
2nd LHD callup - Rathbone

35 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think you are absolutely correct in that we have been spoiled with Quinn's play. A rookie D who can move the puck like Rathbone deserves more credit for sure. Even I couldn't help but feel disappointed after seeing his AHL numbers and having big expectations hoping he'd be a Quinn 2.0 but that's unrealistic 

I reiterate, part of the value of keeping Rathbone?  Is if we as a team create a pace and game style that makes his skills more prominent.

Remember zone exits were one of our key difficulties pointed out by last year. We would want to be a breakout team that takes risks, outscores opponents.  

In pre season, J-Bone had but one legitimate pace generating forward line to outlet the biscuit to. I love me some Burrough's! Does Kyle B help create that outlook?  I don't think so.  J Rathbone may get more leash than many who like shot blockers & crease clearing brutes expect.

We have Boudreau as coach, not Tortorella.

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think once Rathbone settles down a bit he'll be a lot better. He's a good skater and has a decent shot, he just needs time to adjust and calm down to make better decisions, at least that's my take. It was just split squad game 1, lets not panic on him just yet.

DD looked OK but I don't see him as a guarantee. 

Most players are good skaters and have decent shots.  We said the same about rafferty and chatfield. 

If you cant defend in the NHL then you better be a beast offensively, which Rathbone is not. 

Edited by EddieVedder

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Most players are good skaters and have decent shots.  We said the same about rafferty and chatfield. 

If you cant defend in the NHL then you better be a beat offensively, which Rathbone is not. 

Lol, Rafferty’s skating isn’t in the same universe, let alone the same ball park as Rathbone. His disastrous showing in that one game he got laid this fact tragically bare. Chatfield is closer in skating ability, but when Jalen goes to bed at night he can only dream of being a PPG AHL D-man like Jack showed he was last year.

Been listening to a few podcasts today and the consensus seems to be that Jack had a nice first outing in pre-season game #1. Emphasis being PRESEASON GAME #1. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah I think there's no need for concern - We were missing two of our top-4 defensemen, and the reality is we only have 2 top-4 defensemen, meaning we were playing entirely with bottom pairing guys. 

Agreed - I liked DeKeyser, he definitely didn't look that slow or that hes missed a step. 

I just read JR's interview from a few days back, and it looks like he considers Poolman to be part of our starting lineup. So this is basically where we're at:

OEL-Hughes
? - Myers
? - Poolman

Its DeKeyser, Rathbone, Dermott, Kalynuk in contention for those two spots I guess.. 

What are you talking about? Dermott and Myers are 2nd pairing quality clearly.. Dermott quietly does his job and Myers has the odd gaffe but plays decent usually and scored some timely goals for us last season and is big enough to crease clear which we need badly, Schenn can't be out there to clear Demmer's crease all the time. 

So Myers has that ability and not having it can cost a LOT of goals against us. 

Even Demko can't stop what he can't see.. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

If you cant defend in the NHL then you better be a beast offensively, which Rathbone is not. 

no one ever said that about Chatfield 

Rathbone was awesome last night.  Lots of mistakes, missed shots, missed opportunities etc but he was electric in a sloppy kind of way which is good considering it was the first preseason game and most guys out there didn't know what the hell was going on.  I have high hopes for this kid. 

Jett Woo on the other hand, absolute bust. 

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm glad JR thinks like some of us here. Funny that no one has yet to call him chicken little and that he should relax because its preseason

I didn't say it, but I definitely thought it when I read his comments. 

he seems to keep a cold separation between himself and the players, which many would argue is the right demeanor. I'm not sold. 

jury is still out for me on rutherford. I remember thinking he was a joke when he was in carolina and being surprised when he got hired in pittsburgh. I like what he's done here organizationally, at least at first blush, so there's that, but the proof is always in the pudding.