The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Seattle Kraken @ Vancouver Canucks/ Thursday, Sept. 29/22 / 6:30pm KONG, NHLN,SN1, SNP, 650AM at Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would've thought it's the complete opposite, it's an issue in the short term and it's just a question of how long it takes Hughes to adjust. If we're partly blaming it for at least one goal in the first game he's played I'd say it's already been exposed.

i'm not blaming it for any of the goal, it's just a general observation. hughes likes to drift to the left regardless of what side he plays. whoever partners with him needs to be aware and cover when he does drift. it's not ideal to have 2 defenseman on 1 side of the ice. and really this Quinn hughes to the right is not really working.. it's not that Quinn hughes can't play the right side.. it's it exposes every single other pairing.. 1 really good pairing.. and 2 below average pairing.. i haven't seen a pairing in the limited 3 pre season game outside of OEL Hughes that i can say we'll be fine on the 2nd pairing.. instead of having 2 capable pairing.. we have 1 really good pairing and 2 bottom 6 pairing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks being down 2 players you’d think Hogs getting a chance to redeem himself in a top 9 role would be a given. But Bruce doesn’t see any value in Hog’s underlying statistics.  He generates offence without getting points, that’s his game.  He’s more valuable than what Bruce has in mind for him as a 4th line grinder.  

Can we get back to this discussion when the season has started and we know how BB thinks?

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks being down 2 players you’d think Hogs getting a chance to redeem himself in a top 9 role would be a given. But Bruce doesn’t see any value in Hog’s underlying statistics.  He generates offence without getting points, that’s his game.  He’s more valuable than what Bruce has in mind for him as a 4th line grinder.  

Yep.  Good old Bruce,  1000 games and plus NHL games coached, but doesn't know better then us armchair ones.   I'm sure there's a good reason for it.    As long as this pre-season isn't about who the heck is going to play as our 12th guy - Gadj or Chiasson etc, which so far it definitely is not ... these guys are pretty curious about Karlsson, could be a diamond in the rough, Hogs can play a bottom six role, Bruce already knows this.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don’t even cheer goals at home watching the game, maybe a fist pump if it’s a player I like. We get scored on I shrug lol

These games are meaningless, hell the Oilers won preseason for like 7 out of 8 years and went on to draft top 10 all 8 of those years. Canucks had a mediocre record in 10/11 and went to the Finals. People need to relax and just enjoy pre season for what it is. Young guys getting their first or only shot at an NHL job. 

Exactly. Just don't get hurt and get in game shape. Wins are useless.

Injuries will happen. Just try and minimize and not cry about them.

• Cheers 1

Had to watch the Seattle stream, it was pathetic. "Wow what a dump in by Geekie, you know those are the things that make him a special player". "Wow, that shift by Wright where he missed the entire net on a 2 on 1 and then backchecked was his best shift as a professionnal, just amazing". 

I wish I was kidding, but things like that were said all game. No mention of anything positive about our team, other than the fact that Hughes is "lucky" to be such a good skater. Boy, listening to out of town broadcasts really make me see Garrett and Shorthouse in a whole different light. Yeah, Garrett's a homer, but they talk up our opposing teams so much and make it a good listen for anybody watching. 

Shane Wright was absolutely terrible last night, and did not look like an 18 yo trying to crack an NHL roster. Change my mind.

Lots of positives, specifically the new guys.

I thought Aman & Karlsson looked good. Aman can fly out there, he looks like a servicable 4th line guy. Karlsson used his size & reach well to protect the puck in the offensive zone, hes still adjusting but looks like he could fill in with good players.

Joshua brought what we were hoping for from him. Huge bone-crushing hit on Kempny. This is the type of player we've needed (if he can keep it up).

And Kuzmenko looks like a nice weapon to have in our back pocket. Lasser beam shot to open the scoring, so close to the hattrick in OT. 

Onto the next.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Had to watch the Seattle stream, it was pathetic. "Wow what a dump in by Geekie, you know those are the things that make him a special player". "Wow, that shift by Wright where he missed the entire net on a 2 on 1 and then backchecked was his best shift as a professionnal, just amazing". 

I wish I was kidding, but things like that were said all game. No mention of anything positive about our team, other than the fact that Hughes is "lucky" to be such a good skater. Boy, listening to out of town broadcasts really make me see Garrett and Shorthouse in a whole different light. Yeah, Garrett's a homer, but they talk up our opposing teams so much and make it a good listen for anybody watching. 

Shane Wright was absolutely terrible last night, and did not look like an 18 yo trying to crack an NHL roster. Change my mind.

As AHL and Junior the Krackheads lineup was last night they still beat us.  So what are we? 

We are only as good as Demko plays.  Change my mind. 

Edited by Alflives

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm not blaming it for any of the goal, it's just a general observation. hughes likes to drift to the left regardless of what side he plays. whoever partners with him needs to be aware and cover when he does drift. it's not ideal to have 2 defenseman on 1 side of the ice. and really this Quinn hughes to the right is not really working.. it's not that Quinn hughes can't play the right side.. it's it exposes every single other pairing.. 1 really good pairing.. and 2 below average pairing.. i haven't seen a pairing in the limited 3 pre season game outside of OEL Hughes that i can say we'll be fine on the 2nd pairing.. instead of having 2 capable pairing.. we have 1 really good pairing and 2 bottom 6 pairing.

Have to agree that's certainly what it looks like on paper.   But the pre-season is about trying things out.    OEL/QHs getting relief from PK duties, could be on the ice for half the 5 x 5 play.   A lot of teams used to do this with their top pairings.  Pronger, Borque, Al Mac etc.  Even EK/Methot in OTT.    

So it's tough to say how things trickle down from there.   Myers is a top four NHL vet.   But a pairing of Rathbone-Myers on paper at least, looks like one gigantic adventure!   Dermott/Schenn is a solid bottom pairing,  nothing to worry about there.    Schenn is found money, i'd say better then Benn and he was/is decent enough on the bottom pairing.

And it's a far cry from Hutton, Stetcher, Del Zotto days.  

Last year our GA went from 3.16 (bad) to 2.67 (very decent), after the coaching change.   GF from awful 2.38, to near tops in the league at 3.28.   We've added some weapons in Kuzmo and Ilya M... that's almost 270 goals as is, better then almost every WCE and peak Sedin years.    Hard to believe we won't score a few more - and that starts by activating our D better.   OEL and QHs could be a force of nature together.  

Which would make things awfully simpler for ??? Myers and ??? Schenn.   Even better, it's a lot easier to acquire a top four LHD.    Toews sure worked out for COL.   So good they can play a rookie with Manson as their second pairing.     

Maybe there is something in the works behind the scenes to trade one of Garland or Brock.   IF we added another top four D, one that matches well...our team goes from a solid 3-5 team, to a 1-3 overnight. 

We've got a glut of 6-8 D's.   That depth is important. 

Edited by IBatch

I personally hate Hughes on the right. Puts him in position to put up less points and get crunched into the boards while turning to get a puck. I don't want to see the other two pairs for over half the game either because we want to overload with two guys who don't even compliment eachother all that well 

12 hours ago, Odd. said:

Anything past Main and Union is where the shenanigans appears, your right it does feel like another city. 

The people around here are absolutely bonkers. I think this was 2 weeks ago, but an immigrant who came from Afghanistan 5 months ago was brutally stabbed in the neck on Keefer and Main requiring his entire neck to his collarbone to be stapled. Seeing him in the interview, it was chilling. It was unprovoked, he had his head down the whole time, doing doordash, and the sick individual slashed him. What’s crazier is that this same individual slashed someone’s chest the day prior and was being hunted by VPD. Some homeless guy. 

And then there’s that cop who went like 60kmh on Hastings and Main and steamrolled a pedestrian. VPD cruisers are so reckless around that area despite it being a 30kmh zone. 

you can see the need for much more help on the mental health side, that's been neglected for far too long. I do remember one incident with a dude walking around with a hammer near the terminal sky train, that was a bit freaky but you could see he was not mentally well.

Yeah kind of surprised a cop was travelling that fast there, that section of main is like a real life version of Frogger, you have to really watch for folks.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As AHL and Junior the Krackheads lineup was last night they still beat us.  So what are we? 

It's the pre-season.   Neither team iced their full lineup.   Have zero worry the Kraken are going to be a threat this season, or the next or the one after that. Maybe baby steps.   Beniers/Wright i suppose is a start anyways   They look more like what a team did under the old rules (Rick Nash...Dany Heatley ... don't see that on their team yet either) .Bedard wouldn't change them that quickly either ...

ANA is a totally different story.    McTavish is a scary addition, to go along with Zegras etc.    Klingberg added for a year was a statement they are in it to try and make the playoffs this year.   They've got half a dozen young guys working their way into and up the lineup.  

Vancouver has one glaring weakness and we all know what it is.   OEL QHs playing 28-30 minutes a night i doubt is the teams long term plans.   Adding another top four D would change things...and allow for some injuries.  LHDs are a lot easier and cheaper to acquire.   Sure Makar loves playing with Toews. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Lots of positives, specifically the new guys.

I thought Aman & Karlsson looked good. Aman can fly out there, he looks like a servicable 4th line guy. Karlsson used his size & reach well to protect the puck in the offensive zone, hes still adjusting but looks like he could fill in with good players.

nice to have both in the pipeline. Karlsson looks like he could be a regular after maybe just one season in Abby. He could be very important if we move on from a top 6 F to bolster the d group.

Joshua brought what we were hoping for from him. Huge bone-crushing hit on Kempny. This is the type of player we've needed (if he can keep it up).

yep. I think that pretty much ended any faint hope Lockwood may have had to make the club, if there still was some. 

And Kuzmenko looks like a nice weapon to have in our back pocket. Lasser beam shot to open the scoring, so close to the hattrick in OT. 

Onto the next.

Kuzemko looks like he's going to be fun to watch. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would've thought it's the complete opposite, it's an issue in the short term and it's just a question of how long it takes Hughes to adjust. If we're partly blaming it for at least one goal in the first game he's played I'd say it's already been exposed.

And was he that bad?   Sure looked like he could make those passes to me.   OEL getting into the action is the other side of the coin.     Give them the rest of the pre-season to iron the wrinkles out, at practice too.    Maybe it's just a one off who knows.   But it's fun to see him on the right side... Sure would be great to stop this "we need a RHD" stuff.   QHs/Myers/Schenn/Poolman/Dermott/Burroghs etc is pretty good RHD depth. 

Finding a LHD ... well there are twice as many natural LHD's in the league.  

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, iceman64 said:

If it was in the season yes but not now...  You can work out all summer you want but it's not real game workout, you work your way back though.

It's fine!

Win or lose, we should be happy with the effort. 

We should?  They looked completely uninterested on the second half of the game.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, stawns said:

We should?  They looked completely uninterested on the second half of the game.  

first period effort was good, but yeah it did kind of fall off a bit. I don't really care, I don't need to see 110% in game 3 of the pre-season.

I liked most of the big picture stuff, and did like the OEL-Hughes experiment.

Poolman is such an anchor... really don't know what we can do with that. 

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Preseason; a time when young players show up to prove they belong in the NHL, and where vets get game-lite reps whilst trying not to hurt themselves.

Every preseason, you should count on AHL squads beating more NHL-heavy squads. Vets go through the motions. That's why Arizona went undefeated last year and Colorado went 2-4. 

There, I changed your mind. Now tell me Shane Wright belongs in the NHL, I'm gonna start laughing beforehand. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1