The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] October 1, 2022 Preseason: Canucks @ Kraken 6:30pm PT at Climate Pledge Arena SN1, SNP, ROOT-NW, SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

13 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

So far after the pre season I want to see this

OEL-Hughes

DeKeyser Myers

Wolanin Schenn

Dermott IR

Poolman waived and Rathbone back to the AHL

Might as well waive Dickinson too!! He shows no desire, zero passion to make things happen!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One can only hope this is like theatre where the superstition is “the worse the dress rehearsal, the better the opening night.”

I really hope that little winning streak after Boudreau ends up setting the franchise development back by years.  Last deadline was the time to move out players for a good return and shed salary cap.  Hard to do that when the team is winning.  Going into an offseason with a bunch of assets and cap space from moving Miller, Pearson, Dickenson, and Myers would have opened the ability to reshape the roster.

Our defence looks just terrible so far. If Demko just plays average this could be a lottery team.

It is hard to stay positive as a Canucks fan as we have seen this movie play out too many times.  It is just a few pre season games but the team really needs to show some flashes of its potential really soon.

• Like 1

Pre-season. Not too worried. 
will say though the positivity going into the year seems to have faded. Weren’t able to significantly reshape roster, the FA stuff, injuries to Brock and Mik and loosing every preseason game kind of diminishes the positive feelings going into the year so far. 
‘A win or two with more complete roster should fix that at least. 
‘I have a lot of faith in BB. His Capital teams were some of the best coached teams have watched. 

• Cheers 1

I guess it’s alright to be a little bit concerned - particularly around the back end not having any big answers.  

My boy Pooldog looks super rusty. I’ve thought Rathbone looks good but he’s not the next Hughes.  “Hughes on the right” has been a mixed bag.  At least Myers had some of his chaotic jump last night - OEL is pacing himself.  It’ll be interesting to see if Bruce commits to some change (Hughes on the right) or defaults back to Hughes-Schenn and OEL-Myers for the first game. We need a good start to the year.

Im not super worried about “losing” though. Miller, Petey and Horvat drive the bus for this team besides Demko.  I don’t think it’s a surprise to see Miller and Bo pacing themselves as well.  Petey’s looked electric which was about 25% of my “keys to a successful season” for the team.  

It’ll be nice when they decide to show up for a game just to remind us what they can do… but yeah maybe a little worried but nothing major.  The big 3 up front will put the team on their back when the games start to count. Still pretty confident in that. 

• Cheers 2

Management knew the D wasn't good enough last year. They even singled out the D-zone clearing is one of the worst in the league, yet, here we are. Same D, same results.

Rathbone isn't that good IMO. I'd rather have Stecher back. 

• Haha 2

Such a lame effort however when you don't have the full lineup its hard to get a read on how the depth will play out. when you can roll the lines out and have dangerous players on every line or the full power players it will be different. Not having Petey and Hughes in the lineup is a massive drop in talent. Especially on the power play.Defensively when you take players out of their comfort zone , like trying Hughes on the right side playing with different partners it shows up often on the scoresheet. That's why you try it in Preseason.

Once we get to the actual lineup we will see better results. Sheldon Dries better not make this lineup, Di Giuseppe or Aman either. Dickinson looks disinterested lie hes waiting for a trade or otherwise.

Seattle dressed what pretty much is their NHL lineup and we didnt. Result was a indicator of that. We will find out more of what we have when we get closer to the regular lineup

It’s pre season, I’m not going to be overly critical. These are the games to fix mistakes and get into game shape.

I’d like to see more effort however from our veterans. That shit cannot slide again. 

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

I have a different take. It is true that Benning tried to address weaknesses as quickly as possible. He was impatient. That caused a lot of negative value moves.

Allvin has been a lot more cautious. But, in tonight's game the best guys on the ice for the Canucks were Lazar and Joshua (they looked the best and the analytics support that). They were both low acquisitions by the current management. Not huge moves, but they did add value to the team instead of subtracting value. 

Poolman was terrible tonight and he is here because of Benning's impatience.

We would all like the D to be in better shape at this stage but sometimes it is a mistake to force things. Boudreau is experimenting now and Dermott is injured. It is still possible that the Canucks could put a decent D on the ice this season.

I am just tired of the possibility of maybe putting out a decent d. Nothing is ever for sure but sometimes you just know by looking at it on paper and we all just know it's not good. It would be nice to look at it and feel confident for once. We all know it's a big black hole for them. It's not a good situation to be in. I know that's why most people are negative because we have to go with it's still possible and so far it looks terrible. Even last year after winning all those games we were always outshot and the d wasn't great. We are all crossing our fingers and hoping it works out. I hope it does but this preseason hasn't helped anything. I think our forward group is great. I am just really shocked we have don't have any right handed dmen coming in. Even in the near future. It's a big hole. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Dickinson having some jump last night was a big (if low key) plus for the team.  A good year from him could go a long way.

There were a few good things.  I thought Dickinson was ok too, Lazar had a solid game, hogz was good, Karlsson didn't look out of place, Myers had some jump (minus a terrible giveaway), schenn was solid and I was pleasantly surprised with wolanin.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I'm looking forward to, what I'm sure will be, a more regular season starting line-up next game. There are a boat lode of new people in this organization starting

an NHL season off for the first time, at least here. Bruce Boudreau is obligated to see what he has in players that could be positive contributors at the NHL level.

I'm not worried about the vets who's job are safe and will pick it up tremendously when it counts. There still are spots to be had, not many but two or three.

Hoglander and Rathbone, although not a slam dunk, should make it. 

It's Sunday now and I'm not sure we'll hear about any re-assignments today but come early next week, it gets serious...

One of Bennings best signings. Can see Schenner taking a coaching position with this team when he's done playing. Until then keep on keepin on,  and hopefully those soft teammates in the D zone follow his example! grrrr

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

So we’ve got a good PP1 and Demko….like really?  Seattle looking like world beaters vs our group?

This is IMO why we shouldn’t sign Bo.  He is our only valuable trade out if this season fails off the hop. 

only pre-season, but this reminds me of the way they started.  Why can’t this group create scoring chances OR defend???

You can't evaluate much based on pre-season.   Bruce "There it IS!"  

If this was the case, most rebuilding teams get the cake.   EDM has 7 cups since 2011.    Sure it's never fun to lose and we are all waiting for our fix.   Pre-season isn't a fix.   At least it's not like Green trying to find that plug who's perfect for the 12th spot.   

Edit:  Evaluating a club based on pre-season play - is like picking the pre-season winners in your hockey pool.   Rarely if ever works.  It's the blue chippers that carry your pool and the team.  

Edited by IBatch

11 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Wolanin looked pretty smooth moving the puck out of the D-zone and Burroughs adds some grit, while playing a simple, steady game. 

In a game that had us hemmed into our zone just like the worst of the Green era, Wolanin really stood out for calm, efficient zone exits.  Since he wasn't playing with anyone higher-end than Schenn, and the puck support from the forwards was pretty spotty all night, I think he deserves credit for what we saw.  He was solid in his exits when he played on a really bad team in Ottawa too.  This is the main thing we need from our non-elite D.  How does he stand in the pecking order?  A bit below Dermott but close would be my guess.  Rathbone has a higher ceiling but still needs more pro reps to get a reliable floor to his game:  his decision making was poor on a number of occasions last night. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Preseason hockey

Seattle 4-0-0

San Jose 4-1-0

Anaheim 3-1-0

Buffalo 3-1-0

New Jersey 3-1-0

Columbus 3-1-1

Colorado 1-2-1

Florida 1-3-0

Pittsburgh 1-3-0

Tampa Bay 0-3-0

Again. It's not the record that bothers me it's the laziness, and lack of urgency like it's a switch they can flip. They couldn't flip it last year until it was too late. The way they are playing is bothersome. 1 even strength goal in four game.

• Like 1

I can already hear the excuses "We have injuries to key players!"  But, good teams still find a way to win, or at least make it close. Sheesh. 

Last night's D is what we'll see this season, except they'll add Hughes, maybe DeKeyser. Will it be good enough to make the playoffs? 

Losing back-to-back preseason games against the Kraken and getting shutout twice so far in the 4 games doesn't do much for team confidence. The preseason games do matter, because the Canucks are expected to make the playoffs, and they haven't won a game yet. It's a mindset heading into Game 1. No momentum. 

• Cheers 1